5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read.
The sequel to Day by Day Armaggedon starts off pretty much right where the last book ended and is told in a similar style to the first book, the story being narrated through a series of journal entries as the main character try's to survive um.. day by day.

If you like the first book you'll like this.
If you haven't read the first book read it before you...
Published on 1 Oct 2010 by Sutherland

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile followup
Published on 16 Jan 2011 by Zombie Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., 1 Oct 2010

If you like the first book you'll like this.
If you haven't read the first book read it before you read this.

Another reviewer mentioned they didn't like the American flag wavery of the book and didn't like the context in which other nations were mentioned (aka everyone but Americans are stupid and suck at killing zombies), I didn't find the book to be like this at all, I personally hate books that read like propaganda and I would have stopped reading it if this was the case, the only thing mentioned that might irk some people was that Britain got pwned by the zombie hordes as the citizens didn't have a right to bear arms... this isn't really offensive, lets face it it would probably happen (and yes I am British, I'd imagine there's only so many zombies you can kill with a frying pan before being overrun).

All in all a great read, the format makes it easy to put down and pick up again and it ends on an excellent cliffhanger that makes me wish J.L. Bourne would get his finger out and finish the third one.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - But....., 3 Feb 2011
I read the first one in this series in about 2 days, I couldn't put it down, so naturally I went for the second one in the series. Which, as mentioned in the other reviews there is a little repetition with the rotting cars on the road etc, but it's still enjoying. It's the end of the book that annoyed me - the reason behind the Zombies, why the virus struck earth. I won't spoil it and tell you what happened, but I felt a little cheated with it. I will read the 3rd one (when it comes out) but only to find out what happens to the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Want More Books Like This!, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armaggedon (Day by Day Armageddon Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I have a tendency to give out a lot of 5 star ratings, but when I think about it I've enjoyed every book I've given a 5 star rating (like this one) so why not give it the highest rating possible.

I was fortunate enough to stumble on the first book in J.L.Bourne's series and despite reading a few varied reviews on "Beyond Exile" I thought I'd give it a go. With all sequels I sometimes wonder if it'll be as good as the first, wondering if the new avenues it explores, and the character development and pacing will be as good as the first. So I went into this a bit concerned but after a few pages I knew I had nothing to worry about.

The situations the main characters finds himself in, the new and old characters who come and go as the story progresses are so enjoyable to read about. The setting is great, the pacing is superb, and I could go on all day if you like but I'll stop here.

I've read a number of zombie novels and they all have a slightly different take on things and I really like what J.L.Bourne has done. The way it's written, i.e. diary-style by the main character, is fresh and interesting and boy o boy does it get left on a cliff hanger. I can't wait for the third book to come out and would happily pay good money to read it.

If you're a fan of the zombie genre than don't let this book (and series) pass you buy.

Nice work J.L.!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Zombie Sequel!, 12 Sep 2010
After reading the first novel in this series, and thoroughly enjoying it, I was hoping that the sequel would be equally as engaging and enjoyable. I wasn't disappointed.

I read a few reviews on amazon.com (yes, the US one) as there seems to be more reviews there than locally in the UK and there were a few mixed reviews. Anyway I took the plunge and now can't wait to read the third in the series.

Some people complained about how the equipment made available to the main character, and the increase in characters was a poor choice in direction for "Beyond Exile" but I wouldn't necessarily agree. Yes I liked the limited number of characters in the first novel, and that he was always counting his bullets, struggling to find the next meal etc, but the same is equally true here. You still feel like the line between survival and death is a fine one. The story just advances down new avenues which are both exciting and suspenseful.

I hope the wait for the following novel is a short one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile followup, 16 Jan 2011
This was a good sequel and takes up where the first book finishes. The story again is similar in many respects to the first. I enjoyed almost as much but my only complaints were one it was just too short, and secondly I did get a little bored reading about the characters having to move or work their way around abandoned vehicles. I fully appreciate in a post apocalyptic world that the roads would be full of old rusting wrecks but I just didn't want read about it throughout the book. I did get the impression the author was often page filling and the aforementioned example is just one that demonstrates this.

That aside it was still a good enjoyable read and if you enjoyed the first you will most likely enjoy this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars zombie book not, 12 Aug 2010
Apologise if none of what I write makes sense as I have dyslexia, secondly I'm not having a go or being discrimination against Americans. The first book promised so much great character building and facing unbelievable odds. This book is just a typical American view like any of the blockbuster films ( i.e independence day) Big guns/ loads of ammunition and only the Americans can solve anything and the rest of the world are inferior, totally goes off track from being a real plausible zombie survival to more terminator vs aliens scenario. So as a zombie book I would give it a very low rating but for science fiction a higher rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombie awesomeness !!!!!!!!!!, 21 Feb 2014
I picked up the volume of this book in a thrift shop after a few chapters I immediately downloaded the following two books.
Great edge of your seat story
Fantastic use of diary entry method of story telling
Action from start to finish
You get a real sense of horror almost like it could really be something that could happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Exile- Fantastic!, 9 Sep 2013
Lovee this book so much, it is among the best zombie tales I have read. Way better than the likes of World War Z and much more depth. The main character is very likeable and you will find yourself on the edge of your seat, willing him to be ok. The book is well researched and has a great, very realistic view of what a zombie apocalypse would be like. This is the second one in the series, be sure and read the first one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mindless read, 13 July 2013
Just the job for the hols, post end of the world type zombie based plot that is reasonably fast paced and good boys read....

2.0 out of 5 stars Great...then goes wrong, 9 Jun 2013
Like many I was a huge fan of the first in the series, it was superbly written and in my opinion the greatest of the zombie horror novels to date, this one picks up in the same way as the last and is at first excellent, well-written, imaginative, terrifying and thought-provoking....then for some inexplicable reason it all just goes wrong, in the last third its almost as if someone else has taken over the writing and completely ruined it, the story just takes the most ridiculous U-turn and babbbles on a load of techno speak and incomprehensible military jargon that is impossible to follow, the 'plot-twist' is so poorly concieved I felt cheated. It reminded me of a school kid whose essay is due in the morning and he has forgotten to finish it, so he just scribbles a lot of half-hearted rubbish on the school bus just to present something to teacher. Shame