Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 12 July 2010
I have just finished reading this wonderful book. Its the second Cathy Hopkins I've read (Dead Dudes being the first) and its most definitely not going to be the last.

From the opening, when I was introduced to Jess and her family just after the loss of her mother, I was taken into a deeper world than I was expecting. Deeper in that the emotions were very real and raw, I think I was expecting a few hours in the company of spoilt girls (like myself) obsessed with shopping, shoes and sniping. Where what you wear and where you live define who you are as a person, as the rest of the world seems to expect. Respect comes with money and status.

Not in Cathys world. What I discovered was a story that drew me in as Jess is torn from her mum, her home and then her nans to a strange and not entirely sympathetic world of shallow excess and hidden unhappiness.

It taught me a lot. I was a little shocked when the secret of her mums funeral was revealed. I cried a little for Jess as that was so real and insightful.

I read the book in one day, I couldn't put it down. I can't wait for Paparatzi Princess to come out. I hope she ends up with (SPOILERS FOLLOW)

JJ. Even though he is rich he is kinder than Tom, I also like Harry (Henry? oops) the boy next door. If she went out with JJ it might be difficult, she has no money for smart clothes or going out and she would not like it if he paid for everything. Sooo exciting.

I hope we find out how Charlie is coping with his mums death in the next book. And I do want Jess's dad to meet someone nice. Pia's mum or anyone working at the apartments. She has already given us some hints that he might. No one can replace her mum, but Jess would like her dad to be happy again.

I think this is a very good book, a mix of happy and sad, serious and silly. Like life. It touched my heart and I'm sure it will touch many others and help girls who share similar secrets to Pia's.
on 11 September 2012
Million dollar mate is possibly one of the best books I've read In my opinion. I love how it tells the engaging story of jess and the struggle in porchester park. Her backstory is heart breaking, and her story is well written and fun sometimes.

Almost a year after her mum has died, jess, and her brother Charlie, come to live with their dad at the perfect 5-star porchester park. They thought it would be a life of fun, happiness and luxury. but unfortunately, it's not all what it seems when the Famous people start flooding in.

I don't wanna spoil the book, but overall it's a engaging book what is full of adventure and fun and some sad moments. if your in love with cathy hopkins books then READ IT NOW!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 February 2013
I bought this in error thinking it was something else. It's for teens and would keep a 13 year old happy. It's about the trials and tribulations of a teen girl who has moved into a home which is part of a block of apartments owned by mega-rich people. Her father is a sort of caretaker there. It's an ok read for youngsters but did not appeal to me, not because I'm an adult but because I did not like the writing style.
on 17 November 2012
I have never read a book so engaging and full of life ever in My life.Totally Awsome book.And I would absolutely recommend it to other people.
on 25 February 2013
I bought this on the daily deal not really understanding the level of book it was. It is definitely for teenagers...which I'm not! As a story I guess it was ok, though difficult to judge since I'm not the target audience.
Now, don't be alarmed, but this is the first Cathy Hopkins book I've ever read. I know, I know - how can I call myself a YA blogger and lover of children's books? My only explanation is that I've never got around to trying any of her titles, and never knew which to start with. I think the first in the Million Dollar Mates series was a great place to start, and I'm very glad I had the opportunity to read it.

The cover of Million Dollar Mates suggests - at least to me - a fun, flighty read with plenty of girly talk and best friends doing their thing. While it does indeed include all this, it's also a lot deeper and serious than I thought it would be. It deals with the loss of a parent and a separated family, a big house move to a posh place, and themes of guilt and grieving. Hopkins tackles all these issues with a great attitude, and instead of weighing the book down, they add an unexpected air of maturity to the plot.

Jess is a cool character, who handles the move to Porchester Park as well as anyone would, with a couple of angsty meltdowns along the way. She makes new friends and reconnects with her dad, while pursuing her crush, Tom, at the same time. Her best friend Pia is a secondary character with a spark to her, and I enjoyed reading about their friendship. It reminded me of friends I had when I was 14, which is always a fun topic to reminisce about! I can't not mention the boys, of course. Tom or JJ... who will she choose? That little unresolved teaser has left me desperately wanting the next book in the series, because I do have a favourite of the two. I won't say who, though, so you can decide for yourself when you read it.

I would have liked a bit more depth to the other characters in Million Dollar Mates; Jess's dad and brother Charlie in particular. I think they fell to the wayside slightly, which is perfectly understandable when other central characters steal the limelight. Maybe we'll hear more from them as the series progresses, along with Porchester Park's imminent new arrivals. I think things will get very interesting in Paparazzi Princess, which is due for publication in January 2011.

Million Dollar Mates impressed me, and was a great introduction to the world of Cathy Hopkins. I think all teenage girls will take something away from it, whether it's how to deal with the loss of a family member, how to hook your crush or what not to do with a cat trapped in a summerhouse. It's a perfect read for this hot British summer we're having, and I look forward to getting back to Porchester Park next year!
on 2 April 2013
Really easy reading, in fact a little too easy... I soon realised that this book is for much 'YOUNGER' chicks than myself and advised my niece (aged 13) that I thought she'd enjoy it. She advised funny you should say that, I got it for christmas but haven't read it yet. She has since read it and absolutley loved it, so I'm encouraging her to buy the others in the sequel.

My niece is normally quite a slow reader but she got totally engrossed and had completed the book within a couple of days!! Well done Cathy Hopkins :):)
on 11 April 2013
Got this for my friend's daughter and began to read it to check it out in advance. I got totally engrossed! I loved it and think it will appeal to all ages. Quirky and fun, while at the same time covering some pretty serious topics. What is especially good though is the way the underlying serious issues are treated. Not heavy duty, or weighed down by moralistic lectures but nicely resolved in a perfect use of show don't tell. A great read for girls of all ages!

We're on the Zodiac Girls now as well as the Million Dollar Mates and both loving them (and yes I say both, am reliving my youth a bit!) It's also so refreshing to find books that are well written and not filled with depressing, unsuitable or too adult themes.

Hopkins really is a breath of fresh air!
on 16 February 2013
I really loved this book& ALL if it. Parts made me laugh and parts made me cry. I don't wanna give anything away but i recommend this book for girls agreed between 12 and 16. I will definitely be reading the sequels!
on 15 April 2013
Sadly I realised I am too old for this book (37) I bought it without looking at the target audience for the book, I am sure it is great if you are a teenage girl.