5.0 out of 5 stars Brennan hits the spot again
Published 3 months ago by Esme Bajic

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the Lexicon's promise ...
Published on 22 Aug. 2010 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the Lexicon's promise ..., 22 Aug. 2010
Several weeks after THE DEMON'S LEXICON and Mae and Jamie are back home when Mae discovers that Jamie has been secretly meeting Gerald, the leader of the Obsidian Circle, who wants him to join his magicians. Mae calls Alan and Nick for help but their plan backfires and the magicians exploit the tension between Alan and Nick (specifically Nick's frustration at the fact that he can't be the caring human his brother wants) and Gerald makes Alan an offer that necessitates him betraying Nick.

Stuck in the middle between the warring brothers and with her relationship with Jamie deteriorating, Mae sees only one chance to save them all. The problem is that this involves her visiting the Goblin Market and convincing Sin to help her, even though the Market has no reason to help a magician's sister ...

One of the reasons I enjoyed THE DEMON'S LEXICON was because Mae was more than just a love interest. Unfortunately, here she is nothing but and it's mainly used as a device to keep her in the plot as the story is told from her point of view and there's otherwise very little for her to do. The result is to make her rather passive and someone who's constantly played rather than someone truly in control of her destiny. This is a shame.

The book only really comes alive when Alan and Nick are on the page. Their confused relationship is nonetheless a loving one and is intelligently depicted. Jamie and Mae's relationship is less interesting in contrast - told rather than shown, although there are some lovely moments - particularly when the two create fictional backgrounds when dancing.

Nick, for me, remains the most fascinating character in the book - comfortable with the fact that he's a demon and yet frustrated that he can't be human enough for his brother. The sections with his adoptive father's journal really illuminate their relationship. Jamie is less successful. While it's great to have a gay character who's not angsty, his stupidity with Gerald is annoying despite the fact that Brennan clearly wants the reader to see him as vulnerable.

As with THE DEMON'S LEXICON, while there are some clever lines in the book, sometimes the humour goes on for too long, deadening the scene instead of enlivening it.

All in all, while I will read the final volume, I'd hoped for so much more from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brennan hits the spot again, 29 Sept. 2014
Not sure why some people seem to think this isn't as good as the last one- I thought they were equally excellent. The book is so original, not overloaded with sentiment and great across the board- originality, writing style, plot twists/surprises, humour, action, some heartwrenching emotional moments and amazing characters! I'd recommend it to both genders, all ages and all walks of life as it is a true joy to read :) :)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Demon's Lexicon Trilogy - book 2, 1 Jun. 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Demon's Covenant continues the story a few weeks after the ending of The Demon's Lexicon. Nick and Alan are still on the run from the magicians but Mae and Jamie have returned home to continue their lives as normal. Mae is very worried when she discovers that the new leader of the Obsidian Circle has been secretly meeting her brother trying to convince him to join the magicians. The only people she can think of to help her are Alan and Nick so she turns to them for advice. What she doesn't expect is for the magicians to convince Alan to betray Nick and it seems like she is the only person who can stop it from happening. She has no choice but to ask for help from the Goblin Market but will they be able to stop Alan in time?

I really enjoyed The Demon's Lexicon which I thought was a fab debut novel but The Demon's Covenant was even better and I can't wait to see what Sarah Rees Brennan has in store for us in the final book of the trilogy. I've found before that the second book in a series doesn't always match up to the first but that was definitely not the case this time - The Demon's Covenant was everything I loved about The Demon's Lexicon and then some. I enjoyed hearing the story from Mae's perspective - she has a great voice and is completely different from Nick who was the narrator in the last book.

After the shocking twist at the end of the first book I was on the look out for hints at similar revelations in this book but I still didn't spot most of them coming so I was really kept on my toes again. I loved Nick in the first book but the more you get to see of him the more I love him and the same goes for Alan, Mae and Jamie too. It is unusual to read a book where you have such strong feelings for all 4 of the main characters but the way this series is written it is impossible not to like them all.

I love a book that can make me laugh out loud one minute and then have me fearful of what the future holds in the next. I feel really invested in the story and don't know how I'm going to survive the wait for book 3 to come out. If you've not already started this series then I'd highly recommend going out and getting a copy of The Demon's Lexicon. If you have read and enjoyed it then The Demon's Covenant is a must read book!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Demon's Covenant (Demons) (Kindle Edition)
its an addictive series however this series is very typical for teenage writing with the structure of the novel, the twist with having demons is superb

4.0 out of 5 stars Tone change from 1st book, 14 May 2013
This review is from: The Demon's Covenant (Demons) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the book, however the change of narrator meant that the book's tone was quite different to the first book which was quite disconcerting. The plot was much slower as well. Overall not as good as book 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars looove it, 6 Jan. 2013
I brought this as a gift for my friend for christmas because I loved the series so much myself.
There are demons and fighting and a geeky gay guy, what more could you want?!
Plus mae has pink hair whihc makes her amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Demons, magicians and dancers...oh my, 24 Jan. 2012
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Mae's life has spun out of control. Her brother Jamie is a magician and she's horrified to learn he's now meeting with the leader of the Obsidian Circle, the same group who almost got them both killed. When Mae calls in her friends Nick and Alan to save her brother, the last thing she expects is for the Circle to spring a trap...for Nick. Now with brother set against brother Mae is forced to turn to the dangerous and mysterious Goblin Market in hopes of saving them all.

This is the second book in the Demon's Lexicon trilogy and I was really impressed with the first volume The Demon's Lexicon so I was excited to get stuck into this. It picks up a few weeks after the conclusion of the previous book and is told from Mae's perspective which is a nice change. The switch in narrator not only gives us a different perspective, but also allows us to see different parts of Mae's world. As with the previous book the story is well paced and plotted with vivid scenes that really come to life on the page.

In addition to the usual character development, world building and awesome action scenes this book has a more psychological aspect which questions the nature of love, betrayal and trust. It really adds a new layer to the story and really deepens the world giving it a more emotional slant and bringing the humanity of all the characters to the forefront.

In addition to the modern day action, excerpts from Nick and Alan's father's journal are included and I found these sections fascinating. I was glued to the page and loved the revelations of how an adult dealt with the appearance of a demonic baby. I also loved seeing Nick and Alan as little kids before the realities of their lives fighting with magicians set in.

I really liked Mae in this book and it was great to watch her grow in maturity as the story progresses. Where she ends up is completely different to where she began and I loved it. There is a bit of a weird romance situation going on throughout between Mae, her boyfriend Seb and Nick and Alan. Mae takes forever to decide what (and who) she wants and then the decision is almost made for her. I like that the romance isn't the main aspect of these books, but the indecisiveness started to bother me after a while.

Nick is easier to read through Mae's eyes and, given the revelations at the end of the previous book, far more enjoyable this time. His sarcasm and wit shine through along with his quest to become more like a normal human, and I really liked him. Alan has become more stubborn and his choices have left him with some serious angst to brood about. I never really liked Seb, especially how he acts towards Jamie who also experiences some major character growth.

All in all this was an awesome read and I can't wait for the final volume The Demon's Surrender.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 47/50

4.0 out of 5 stars the demon's covenant, 22 Dec. 2011
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book took a while to get going for me. It's not really until Nick and Alan appear that I felt it was going anywhere plot-wise. Mae is just a bit too bland to be the narrator for me. She's all witty one liners and mopey about which boy she likes best. And it's not just a love triangle here but a potential love quartet, which is an infinite amount worse than a triangle as far as I'm concerned. The truth is, I didn't really care which boy, or demon, she ended up with - be it Nick, Alan or Seb. She just isn't an interesting enough character for me to get behind.

Mae is also far too easily manipulated by all of the other characters, which frustrated me a lot. In the first book she comes across as quite a strong individual, one who stands up for her brother and her opinions. Here that same strength is present but the impact is lessened as she takes everything said to her at face value, meaning she ends up being manipulated and turned into a pawn (vague, I know!) for others to use.

However, my ambivalence for Mae is more than made up for by my love for Nick and Alan. These two are brothers in every way apart from genetics. Alan would and does do anything for Nick, a demon who could cause untold damage to the world. And Nick? Well, he tries so very hard to be human enough for Alan, and to a lesser extent Mae and Jamie, while still remaining demon enough for himself. I also enjoyed reading the diary of Daniel Ryves, Alan and Nick's father, which was mainly about how he came to terms with having a demon as an adoptive son. Nick's reactions to this diary were well thought out and human enough that I hope he can come to terms with who he is, a somewhat humanised demon, in the final book.

I find it interesting that Alan lies all the time, he admits he lies all the time, and yet, as a reader, I was still surprised when I realised he was lying to the others. Which brings me back to my point about Mae being manipulated - it's annoying and yet I was being manipulated by Alan myself. The further on through the book I got, the more I felt for Mae. I still don't find her a particularly interesting character but I had more sympathy for her towards the end.

And the ending? Holy bleeding heck. I was a soggy wet mess on the floor. Something completely unexpected happens and that was it, I was sobbing my heart out.

This is very much a character driven trilogy so far and one that depends very much on how you connect to the characters. Had Mae been the narrator of the first instalment, I'm not sure I would have taken to it quite as much as I have. But as Nick and Alan, and their relationship, are the driving force of the trilogy for me, I got enough out of this book to keep me happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 19 Aug. 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A month ago, Mae thought she was happy with a normal life. Then she and her brother, Jamie, stumbled into the lives of Nick and Alan Ryves, and she discovered a world of magic she can't forget. She longs to return to the charms and dancing of the Goblin Market even as she tries to adjust to coming back home.

Unfortunately for Mae, there's a darker side to the magic, where demons lurk and magicians offer the lives of others to gain power. One of the most ruthless magician circles wants Jamie to join them, and isn't willing to take no for an answer. Even though she knows she should stay away from the Ryves brothers, who bring as much danger as excitement into her life, Mae can think of no one else to turn to for help.

But as Nick and Alan become increasingly at odds, and the magicians set into motion a plan that could destroy both them and the market she loves, Mae finds that it may be up to her to save them all.

THE DEMON'S COVENANT is an excellent sequel to THE DEMON'S LEXICON, expanding on the world shown in the first book of the trilogy and letting readers see it from a different, more human perspective. Mae is an admirable and relateable heroine, strong but not without her vulnerabilities, determined but struggling with uncertainty, and willing to do whatever she can to protect those she cares about.

The plot will keep readers guessing, and the ending will leave them begging for the trilogy's final volume. A wonderful addition to the YA shelves.

Reviewed by: Lynn Crow

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 12 July 2010
Gargoyle (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
You have got to read this book! Well after you have read the first one "The Demons Lexicon".

Being an addicted reader of vampire fiction I got the first book on a whim - for a change. I am so glad I did. This series is fantastic. The characters are funny, dark, unique and interesting. The first book centers around Nick - well who would'nt - but this second book focuses on Mae and it doesn't lose anything. I was a bit wary at first because Mae was a secondary charcter in the first book and I really got into Nick. I needn't have worried. Although Mae is the focus all the other characters are there and you don't lose interest at all. You want to know what is going to happen next and I couldn't put it down until I knew. I hope there is another one!

The Demon's Covenant (Demons)
The Demon's Covenant (Demons) by Sarah Rees Brennan