Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 7 September 1999
In my humble opinion, this is the best book ever written by David and Leigh Eddings.
Unlike many fantasy books, this book is written by two people (a fact diclosed to the public in later works). By combining both a male and female style, I feel that the authors have managed to create an epic which is hard to beat.
Sparhawk (the Hero) is by far "the best realised hero in current fantasy" as was said by the Daily Telegraph. Unlike many fantasy novels, Eddings has gone away from the idea of a hero who comes from obscurity.
Sparhawk is the Queen's Champion at the beginning of the saga. What happens to him after this I will leave for all to discover.
The characters are portrayed with a greater realism, and what makes this the best Eddings book by far is that we see the honesty in the authors' style. Sephrenia is shown to have racist tendancies, and even faithful "old friends" are shown up as traitors and villans.
The Bhelliom is discovered to have an awareness, something which could never have been predicted in the first trilogy (The Elenium).
If for no other reason, this book is worth reading for the whole plot behind the Tamul Emperor, and the way in which Sarabian wrests control back from the government. I spent page after page with my emotions in a cocktail shaker... one moment I was laughing out loud, the next I was silent and following the plot intensly.
I have now read this book well over a hundred times (I have a first edition which is missing many pages and has had to be replaced TWICE) and still find myself reaching for it when I have nothing new to read.
I am sorry to new readers if this review seems a little vague. I would not want to spoil the plot for anyone.
All I can say is if you have not yet read any Eddings, please start with the Elenium. Many parts of the plot rely on the reader being familiar with the characters and their idiosyncrasies - it will be worth the wait, I promise.
on 28 January 2015
Classic reading and it's free. Gotta love Kindle! I am no longer able to read "real" books due to a lung condition (dust, mould etc) so Kindle has allowed me to re read some old favourites. Eddings was and is one of the best fantasy authors. Story lines to keep you gripped and you go back for.
on 16 December 2014
David Eddings is amazing! It is our loss that he is no longer with us creating these amazing worlds and characters. I have reread this series and the three preceding it several times and I love them. I just can't get enough!!
on 22 October 1999
David Eddings has produced a book of class. Although it relies heavily on the reader having knowledge of the previous books, its storyline, characters and humour make it a must read for anybody remotely interested in the fantasy genre.
Carrying on where 'Domes of Fire' left off Sparhawk and his companions have just put down an uprising in the imperial city of Matherion only to be told that it was a ruse by his enemies to reveal his resources. The book starts with the journey to retrieve the Bhelliom, which featured in the previous series of Eddings book, so that Sparhawk can confront his now known enemy Cyrgon- the god of the thought-extinct Cyrgai.
What unravels is a story of betryal from trusted companions, exploration into lands unknown, revelation of emnity between the Styrics and the Shining Ones (The Delphae) and a coup put down in style by the erratic Emperor Sarabian, who is revealed as a great politician rather to the surprise of his subjects and who had called Sparhawk to the continet to help him. Sparhawks queen and wife Ehlana is an integral part of the story and the conclusion of this book will have everyone on the edge of their seat and waiting eagerly for the next installment 'The Hidden City'.
The book is a true classic and is indeed the Eddings finest hour.
on 8 December 2014
The subtle humour in Weddings writing is what draws me to his books, this is in fact the third time I have read this series of books and I still find myself chuckling, what more can i ask for a good story, reasonably complex characters and a bit of fun?
on 15 November 2012
The Shining ones is the middle point of the Tamuli Trilogy, and is in my opinion, the best book in the Trilogy. While David Eddings does what he does best, taking established fiction tropes and adding his unique twists and turns to the story, the revelations and reveals in this book adds facets to the characters and world, which changes the way you view David Eddings past stories in the Elenium Trilogy. however, there is an issue with the fact that it is part of a trilogy, and while it is readable without reading the prior books, to get the full experience and enjoyment you have to have read the Elenium Trilogy first or at least have read Domes of Fire: Book One of The Tamuli.

Still, The Shining ones is a thoroughly enjoyable Read.
on 30 March 2000
When I was in 7th grade, a friend reccomended the first series about these characters, The Elenium, to me. At first, I didn't really want to read it, but after I picked up the first book, I couldn't put it down. I was actually halfway through the second book before I could stop reading. There are many more characters in this book than in the Elenium, but the old characters are still there. My favorites are probably Sparhawk, Ehlana, Sephrenia and Kalten. They are probably also the main four characters. this book is a must red for anybody who likes fantasy/knights/magic books. The plot was exciting, and the characters were great. But, I would suggest that you read the Elenium before you read the Tamuli. A lot of the plot and jokes, etc are based on information from the Elenium.
on 28 September 2012
I have nothing to complain about with the story, as always, they are brilliantly written and keep you turning page after page.
However, my frustration comes from 2 things. Firstly the lack of a cover image. Secondly, the maps need to be larger by default and rotated to suit the normal orientation of the reader.
This is all the ebook needs to round it off.
on 4 December 2012
Countless hours of dialogue between cliched characters interrupted on two occasions by mildly exciting sequences that do little to advance the plot. This applies to either book one or two.
on 31 October 2013