Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 29 December 2006
I've recently had an epiphany, and am trying to develop from a lazy fast food re-heater to a seasonal cook. So I joined a local box scheme, which means that I now have to deal with vegetables I didn't even know existed. And here is where Sophie Grigson's book comes in handy. Whilst I don't have much opportunity to actually select the vegetables that come in the box, I now have lots of ideas on how to live off three different leafy greens for a whole week without becoming suicidal. The recipes are straight forward and down to earth, most ingredients are easy to obtain, and above all they mostly result in food that my husband and I enjoy. The language is accessible and instructions are clear. I'm pleased with this book, and I will continue to use it for the foreseeable future.
on 4 January 2007
I bought this book for inspiration when I joined a vegetable box scheme and wanted new ideas. It hasn't disappointed. A wide range of vegetables are covered, with an introductory paragraph on cooking instructions as well as a specific recipe (or recipes) for each entrant. With a little imagination many of the recipes could be adapted to use different vegetables, thus providing an infinite variety of choices. It's well worth buying, with highlights so far being the Carrot Cake and Celeriac Stuffing recipes.

Just one negative ... the book contains no mushroom recipes at all - why?
on 20 June 2007
Yes, as the reviewers below mention, it is true that the recipes are on the basic side. But this is a great great great book to have handy if you want to cook a wide range of vegetables + if you would like to give a try to something different. I had never cooked Yum potatoes before but was pleasantly surprised with its silky texture and nutty sweetness following her guidance.

This book explains each vegetable in details - when to buy, what to avoid, how to store and how to cook.

With this book, you can enjoy Kohlrabi (crunchy + juicy and refreshing), Edamame (beautiful little green gem) + Zucchini flowers (taste of the Italian summer) and many more.

I now enjoy going to small greengrocer's in Green Lanes near Harringay Railway station in London. Before Sophie's "Vegetables", I thought they sold wired vegetables, but I now think they sell treasures. If you live in London, visit there on weekend. My cooking is much more diverse and interesting now (at least to me), and it is nice to visit big supermarkets less.
on 28 June 2008
I was at the point of cancelling my organic box having become stuck for ideas (you don't see a lot of kohl rabi in the works of Jamie et al) This book provides inspiration and education - introducing you to some more novel ways of cooking veg as well as standard guidance. Really like Sophie's narrative style of writing. This book plus Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's 'Fish' and 'Meat' book forms my 'holy trinity' of cookbooks that I use all the time.
on 29 March 2009
I must admit I bought this book simply because it was on special offer, but I find myself pulling it from the shelf more and more often; it's a pleasant read and has plenty of good simple recipes. It is not, as another reviewer has already pointed out, a vegetarian cook book, but if like me you have an allotment it's a useful resource when you have those "what on earth can I do with even more Swiss Chard?" moments. The Indian Stuffed Potato Cakes and the Blushing Dauphinoise are both highly recommended.
on 16 December 2007
What do you do with all the weird things that come in a winter veg. box? Jeruslaem Artichokes? Celeriac? We had no idea, so I bought this for my wife last year for Christmas, and it has proven to be hugely helpful, and become a staple of our kitchen. We find the excellent introductory sections about basic preparation and attributes of each vegetable/root to be even more useful than the full recipes themselves. An excellent purchase.
on 4 January 2007
I got this book for Christmas, and I love it. I'm fairly new to adventurous cooking, and this is just what I needed.

It's not heavy on recipes, but it is great if you get a veg box! Frequently I sit looking at a mystery vegetable and although the name is provided, I draw a blank as to what to *do* with the blasted thing!

Now I know.

This book tells you where your veg originated from, how to buy it fresh, and what to do to it in very simple terms (boil it, roast it, serve it raw or not - you get the picture). There are also occasions when we're told what it'll do to us ("Jerusalem artichokes will induce wind to some degree").

If you're looking for a what's what in the vegetable world in order to increase your veggie repertoire, I'd recommend this book!

In fact, I had it on my desk today when a colleague popped up and said 'nah, no good for me, there'd be nothing in it I'm interested in'. Then he opened it on the parsnip page and saw using refried parsnips instead of refried beans in fahitas... and suddenly the book was a lot more interesting!
on 11 November 2007
I like this book, and its style. The recipes are good and work all the time. It's just a pity that there isn't more of them. The description of the vegetables might seem lenghty at times, but often includes 'hidden' recipes. The Peperonata has become one of my family's all time favourites by now; try it!
on 12 August 2008
I got the book for christmas, immediately liked it and tried some recipes during the holidays. They all went down well, even with my parents who sometimes aren't the most adventurous eaters but rather prefer things the way they always were. The "Japanese cucumber salad" or the "Pink grapefruit and Chinese leaf salad with beetroot threads" (that really puts some sun into your winter days!) got no bad critics though and there are lots more recipes you should definitely try! A good gift too.
on 17 May 2009
This is my little kitchen bible and is a must for anyone who is part of a vegetable box delivery scheme or enjoys vegetables but is a bit scared of what to do with them (I used to fit into both categories).

While I have tried some of the recipes (and all with success), the real gem of this book is the over all approach to the vegetable (how to pick the freshest, different basics of cooking, storing etc.) which helps build your confidence when it comes to preparing it for the first time and then experimenting with it in different recipes.

Since I was given this book threre's no vegetable that makes my brow furrow. I now happily welcome Kohl Rabi, fresh beetroot, spring cabbage etc. etc. into my home and everyone seems to love them (even the toddler).