4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, which is high enough praise in my book
I'd been interested in a daylight alarm clock for some time and bought a different model produced by a different company. I was very impressed but had to return it due to a minor fault, expecting to get a replacement. I discovered, however, that the product had been discontinued and I was left without my light. I looked around for quite a while, reading various reviews...
Published on 6 Dec 2010 by Volveremos

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but what if it doesn't work?
On the box, it states that 80% of users find this wake up light gives a "more pleasant way to wake up." I guess I'm in the other 20% then. Every morning, I've set the alarm (using the radio as my wake up call) and every morning, I've woken with a jump when the radio comes on and find myself staring at a horrible bright light. So basically just the same as when I used my...
Published on 3 Sep 2010 by McStick

2.0 out of 5 stars lasted 9 months only, 3 Jun 2013
Rami Issa (bath, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
the alarm function went mad after 9 months and would go off at random times!! very upsetting as was helpful while functioning well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bedside Companion, 24 Dec 2012
ASHOK (Wellington, Nigiris) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
Has worked well since we bought it over two years ago. It does all that it says. Remember it has only FM. Need to get used to the controls. My wife loves it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some issues, but great customer service, 3 Jan 2012
H. Le Voi - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light I have owned and enjoyed my wake up light for just over a year now. All of a sudden, the radio is going off at any time of day or night, regardless of settings, the time is changing at whim. HOWEVER, I called the number in the guarantee, and it is covered for 2.5 years. A shiny new replacement is being sent by Philips. HURRAH! Great customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent idea and product, 11 Oct 2011
Matthew Ford "guru_fordy" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
I hate getting up in the morning when it's dark...FACT

Been using this for a few years now and it's not only still going strong, but I feel great when I wake up. Really can't recommend this enough.

Only nipped one star away cos the choice of sounds are awful really and I only use chimes or radio. I would have also liked the controls to be positioned and designed better.

I also do not have any hissing or flickering like other owners.

1.0 out of 5 stars A load of crap, 20 Mar 2011
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
Okay so I have several problems with this, I will keep it short and sweet higlighting the fualts
1 Dodgy User interface : Very awkward and not easy to use
2 Dusk doesnt send me into a deep sleep and I wake up in the night
3 The very first night I used it the clock reset itself in the middle of the night with no power cut
4 The "30 day money back guarantee" only applies to sales BEFORE january 2011 so is void
5 FM radio, not digital
6 Alarms are way too quiet and subtle
7 WAKEUP light... okay I thought waking up naturally would be a good thing but it turns out it isnt, with loud alarms I wake up suddenly and ready to go, this leaves me dazed and half asleep listening to the bells getting louder slowly for 10 minutes before I realise Im awake and leaves me tired all morning.
I hate this product. The light bulb is not replaceable if it breaks you'd have to buy a whole new unit, the light is awkward to turn on just on its own and awkward to find when you wake up in the night, It really isnt bright or loud enough for me, and it takes up a lot of bedside space there are much better techy alarms for the price and I wish I hadnt bought this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rise and Shine, 20 July 2010
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I note the Philips' claim to "clinically proven" results but I am not competent to pass judgement on the authenticity or exaggeration of the `science' of waking to gradual increase of light intensity and sound. Even so, I endorse descriptions of light level as variable, and I confirm tones are certainly pleasant enough - with my favourite alarm option being birdsong but wind chimes is also a nice sound. For some years I have relied on a clock-radio with sudden switch-on, and I acknowledge the Philips' gently escalating volume as more agreeable, though I think provision of a `snooze' option rather defeats the objective of gradual awakening. There is a `dusk simulation' function with light and sound progressively dimming, but I do not accept this encourages drifting into sleep any better than switching off. However with a `timer' the appliance may be operated as a light or radio for reading or listening at night. Setting the brightness level and clock time is easy, but selecting other functions of alarm, timer, radio etc. took some getting used to - but I've never been good at this sort of task. I have listened to all available sounds in `test' mode but not fully experienced all alternatives for the wakening period. Radio reception is satisfactory though it relies on a wire antenna that gets in the way, and arranging such is not helped by having to position the appliance near the sleeper so light falls on the eyes. Again, though I can only note the Philips' claim to "increasing the production of cortisol, the energy hormone", I am able to pronounce on positioning which is not straightforward due to the appliance being quite bulky so it intrudes on the already small size of an average bedside unit. When in bed I like to see a time display and so position my clock-radio on a dressing table where it is readily seen rather than being precisely placed on a bedside unit requiring my head to be turned to view.

There are a number of `dawn simulators' or `sunrise clocks' on the market, and this Philips HF3480 is probably up with the best - but for review I suspect how it is rated will depend more on subjective rather than objective matters. I am a light sleeper (no pun intended) with a need to get up during the night, and I have no trouble waking in the morning. I seem to have a built-in biological clock that wakes me just before the alarm goes off, and generally my curtains let in sufficient light to bring me to my senses without any adverse feelings. Perhaps I am not a suitable person to review this product, but I await winter with dark mornings so I may consider matters further - and I'll add a comment later. Until then I must merely confirm the Philips HF3480 generates sounds that build up to rouse the most heavy of sleepers, and it produces an increasing light strength that allows eyes to react and adapt gently - but I have not felt any particular additional vigour or urge for action. The appliance may be beneficial for SAD sufferers (seasonal afflictive disorder) and therefore be worth a 5-star rating, but for insomniacs like me needing something for poor rhythm of sleep it can only be worth 1-star - hence overall 3-star rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product, rubbish customer service from Philips, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
What I liked the lamp is that you can adjust the brightness of the wake up light, which is really good for those with sensitive eyes. The lamp is quite big and not exactly pretty but it's simple and easy to use. I've never seen the point of a sunset light, and still don't so was quite happy just having the wake up light feature on this.

Unfortunately, everything I liked about the lamp is now in the past as one of the dials seems to have stopped working. After finally getting some customer service from Philips, I've been told that the lights are not repairable and there's nothing they can do as the light is three years old. This seems such a waste of money when it's only a dial that's playing up.

The Lumie I have had to buy to replace this doesn't have a brightness adjustment setting, but they are cheaper (generally) and it can't go any worse than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars The bulb is NOT replaceable!, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
I don't own this wake up light but I am looking for one and this unit is probably the best looking out of all of them however, the bulb is NOT replaceable, so when it runs out you need to buy a whole new unit (or probably a different one by a different manufacturer!). This is pretty ridiculous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but..., 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
Imagine if you will, you've got your alarm set for 6.30 but then you wake up for a pee or your baby starts to cry at 5.30.....

So you get back to sleep at 5.50 and then... the wake up light starts to make its presence felt, half an hour before your alarm's set.

Worse still is the quality of the speaker - I've heard better audio quality from a pound store radio. An utter waste of money.

Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light