4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for keeping your beard in trim

Published on 16 Oct. 2011 by Andrew Phillips

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for keeping your beard in trim, 14 Sept. 2010
Lukens (Leamington Spa, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips QT4050 Turbovac Rechargeable Vacuum Beard Trimmer Plus With Contour Following Comb (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first used this my beard had grown quite unruly (for me), so I was going to be giving it a tough test. Normally I trim my beard and hair at the same time, using hair clippers, but thought I'd give this a go instead (for the beard part). It wasn't as powerful at cutting through the hair as the hair clippers, and the built in vacuum failed to capture all the hair. It probably managed to get around 80% of it though, so obviously an improvement on nothing. The chamber where the hair was gathered filled up pretty quickly though, and needed emptying 3 times. There was no tugging at the hairs though, and it only clogged a little.

I've used it again twice since to keep my beard in trim, and it performs much better at this task, though there was still an amount of hair that escaped the vacuum.

The length settings are easy to adjust, using a small dial, and the guard comb is easy to slide off for detailed trimming. It's also a very nice size and weight to hold and use, and the battery seems to last well.

Definitely best for using on a more regular basis to keep a beard in check, rather than doing a less frequent taming once a beard has gone wild.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely piece of kit, 26 Oct. 2010
Dr. Michael Heron (Brechin) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
While I don't have reams of experience with which to judge this particular device (my previous beard trimming exercises have been with scissors only), moving to this device made a giant difference in keeping my beard manageable. I tried it on a range of settings, with the closest shave giving something a little longer than designer stubble, and the farthest settings permitting a full beard. The device does not pinch or pull on the hair, and is entirely painless. I would recommend it without hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than a set of hair clippers, 9 Sept. 2010
Mr. C. J. Thorpe "Lastaria" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Written by my friend Carl.

Having normally used a set of hair clippers to trim my beard, this beard trimmer should be a welcome change as it boasts trimming length of 1mm to 18mm, with a vacuum clipping collector and a contour following comb.

When I first got the trimmer from the box, it looked good, nothing too complicated just a simple black design with easy to use controls, and you wouldn't need to look at the manual to work out how to use the trimmer.

I changed the trim length to 3mm as i prefer a stumble look than a full grow beard. I had left my beard to grow so I could test if the blades would snag or pull on the hairs of my face and have to say was pretty impressed as I felt none what so ever.

The vacuum collected every hair clipping as the trimmer moved effortlessly across my face, which my wife will be pleased about as she's always complaining of my beard hair left at the bottom of the bathroom sink.

The contour comb attached to the trimmer helps keep all the hairs trimmed to the same length and unlike a set of hair clippers, the noise of the moving blades is pretty quiet. If I was to find fault with this trimmer, it would be that the head could be a little bit smaller as it can be tricky when trimming around the nose/mouth. Other than that I would recommend this trimmer to anyone. It is reasonable priced and simple to use. It is also re-chargeable, so no need to spend your money buying batteries all the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips QT4050 Turbovac Rechargeable Vacuum Beard Trimmer Plus With Contour Following Comb, 16 Oct. 2011
Andrew Phillips "Andy Phillips" (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Third one I've had, bought for the vacuum facility more than anything else - that's the USP. Each model is both cheaper, smaller and lighter, which you'd think would be a plus, but actually the impression of quality is diminished (although it's marginal and one appreciates that freight cost savings are achieved). The reason this doesn't get a higher score however is the 'contour-following comb' which as a feature fails on two counts: 1) a contour-follower is not required (that's what a wrist is for); 2) the comb is coarse, clumsy and gets in the way. What I personally need (and I'm sure I'm not alone) is a finer comb, which picks up the hairs lying flatter than others to give an even trim, and which enables one to get immediately below the nose. A feature to trim the bottom of the moustache could be a bonus, which I think might be achieved with a finer tooth arrangement on the actual cutter. As it is I have to keep both scissors and a razor for these jobs, thus negating the whole smaller/lighter issue. 6/10 - probably the best on the market still, but could do much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a beard, bad for stubble., 30 July 2011
Its all in the title. If you're after something that gives you a really short trim then look at something else. This only takes back a long beard to a moderate stubble and the vacuum is nice but needs emptying twice per shave. Bottom line, its good, but only if you have fully fledged beard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for its price, 21 Dec. 2011
This is my first beard trimmer.

Pros:
Build quality. Nice feel, touch, appearance. These can be met in more expensive trimmers.
Battery. Lasts 50 minutes as stated. No loss of quality when near empty.
Blades. They require no oiling but, if you oil them, the product WILL last longer.
Cutting system. It has a lot of length settings. Nice.
Contour Following Comb. Nice feature, it would be ok even if it didn't exist.

Cons:
Cutting system. It is more difficult to cut hair at greater length setting. At 6cm it needs a lot of passes to cut hair evenly. This is a common problem to all trimmers.
Cutting system. It is difficult to cut hair under the nose. You will have to remove the front comb and cut hair manually in this area.
Cutting system. It will be difficult to use it without comb to clear hair from an area. It won't cut hair easily. I don't know if this is a general problem of trimmers or this trimmer's problem.

Not pros, Nor cons:
Vacuum System. Yes, it works and it will catch a lot of hair BUT a 10-20% of them will still fall to the sink.

Overall:
Happy I bought it as my first trimmer. I wanted something cheap but good. In my opinion, to get something better than this will cost you at least the twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 16 Sept. 2010
Little Miss - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this to a friend as a gift and he loves it. The trimmer has enough different settings to please all. One of the best things about it is that it cuts smoothly and the blades don't catch on the beard giving the feeling that they're plucking the hairs out one by one. It's a quick and easy way to trim a beard or moustache with minimal fuss. Well recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as my old Philishave, 15 Feb. 2012
Firstly the stated 1mm minimum length is incorrect in relation to stubble length achieved (more like 3mm)

The vacuum unit seems handy at first but only collects about 80% of the hair (so you end up having to clean out the sink and empty the unit (normally twice per shave)). It makes it overly bulky so that it doesn't get under the nose and jaw as well as my much older philishave. It seams Philips have sacrificed shaving ease and quality for a sales qimmick which sadly I fell for. Wish I'd read the reviews here first.

It gets 2 stars purely for being better than the Remington model I got for Christmas but it's nowhere as good as my 10 year old Philishave which recently died on me. Surely there must be some product designers at these companies that actually use the products they make?

5.0 out of 5 stars dads love it!, 5 Sept. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't have a beard or moustache. Thank God! So the trailing of this product was strictly down to my dad who has facial hair. I banned him from using his regular shaver for a week and then let him loose with this trimmer. Charged and ready to go, it really doesn't make very much noise at which I'm surprised. He was able to trim back his beard and spruce the line of his tache with ease and without itchy hair dropping down his shirt. My dad was very impressed and after being a life long razor shaver he has converted! A well priced grooming item that no man with facial hair should be without. I just wish I'd given him it at christmas hahaha.
Excellant product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor (short) trim, 5 May 2011
SJHEARN "Steve Hearn" (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
Do not buy this beard trimmer if you want a short beard trim - - say less than 4mm

This is not an easy trimmer to use, and does not give a quick even short trim. The vacuum part seemed an attractive improvement but instead just makes the trimmer bulky, difficult to hold and manipulate.

I owned for many years a reliable and trusty earlier model - - the Philishave T764 - - which was an excellent trimmer. Fitted well in the hand, easy to control and gave both long and short trims quickly - - plus it trimmed most of the moustache.

I shall now try to find an equivalent of the T764 - - or anything without a vacuum unit.