4.0 out of 5 stars Great Shave But Some Misgivings.
I've never yet found the perfect shaver. That goes for blade shaving as much as electric shaving. Over the years I've used both Philips and Braun shavers, and have concluded that the three headed Philips ones are better for me. I would think it unrealistic for anyone to believe that the perfect shaver exists.

However, this shaver is the best I have yet found in...
Published on 29 Sep 2010 by G. S. Dingwall

2.0 out of 5 stars Good shave, very poor travel design
The shave is excellent or as good as any other Philishave I've had. But on this and some previous similar models, the design team at Philips seem pretty amateurish. It should be all too obvious that a good shaver must be designed to travel. This shaver is certainly not. Where is the charging socket on the bottom of the shaver that would allow an external charger to be...
Published on 22 Nov 2010 by M. Canton

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best shaver, 30 Mar 2011
M. Chrobot "M. Chrobot" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips RQ1280 SensoTouch GyroFlex 3D Rechargeable Rotary Shaver (Personal Care)
This is one of the best shavers I've ever used. I'm coming from a foil Braun 390cc shaver, which didn't do a good job around my neck at all. This is definitely a massive improvement. I tried both dry & wet shaves, and both provide great results. The only thing you need to watch out for is that you do not apply any pressure at all, as this is when you'll get a lot of cuts. You need to hold the shaver, just so that it's in contact with your skin. You might need to get used to it, so give it a few days/weeks; after all you have 90 days to return it to Philips, no questions asked.

The only disadvantages are: the charging station, seems a bit fragile, I wouldn't put it in my bag, if I was going on holiday. The other disadvantage is the travel pouch. I don't think it would protect the shaver against any falls. It's as good as wrapping the shaver in an old t-shirt. The pouch for my old shaver was much better, and I didn't have to worry about dropping it at all.

Overall I'd recommend this shaver to anyone. It is quite expensive, but it's worth it. Hopefully Philips will release the jet clean station in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best shave ever, 24 Mar 2011
E. A. Gothard "EveyG" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this product for my husband for Christmas. From the fast charge to the incredibly close and pain-free shave he is absolutely delighted with it. He says it is the best shave he's ever had with a dry shaver and compares well with having a wet shave - without the nicks and cuts associated with this method of shaving. Although it is expensive, it is definitely well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips SensoTouch RQ1280 razor, 28 Jan 2011
A very well built razor that runs quietly & the battery lasts me for 3 weeks before needing recharging. My skin is very sensitive but even though this razor gives me the closest shave I have ever had my skin is not troubled in any way. The charging stand works ok but is an awkward shape, bulky & not at all convenient for travel. Unfortunately, unlike other Philips models it is not possible to plug the power lead directly into the razor & so the stand is essential. The instruction manual is dire to put it mildly, consisiting of comic strip pictures with no explanitory text & relating to several different models of razor all at the same time. For this price I would have expected a dedicated manual with full illustrations, explanations & instructions eg for cleaning, removal or replacing the heads etc. Although it is not mentioned anywhere a fuller manual, although not perfect, is available by download from the Philips website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Shave - As close as a blade... or very close., 16 Jan 2011
Thanks Amazon for a superb deal on this beast of an electric shaver. At full or next to full retail price I would say this was just a tad on the expensive side, almost exclusive - you would need to be a banker [or similar] to spend that sort of money on a personal grooming device.

Shave wise - this kit is just awesome. First shave I tried was dry [taken stubble down with hair clippers first] and it did seem a little strange getting the circular motion going. Getting a feel for the right amount of pressure took a couple of passes before realising you can be fairly brutal without it ripping your face to shreds.

A couple of days later...

For the second shave I decided to try the wet method. Once you overcome the fear of putting an electric thing under a running tap it's all pretty much like normal shaving - rinse - but in a circular motion - rinse and slap on a bit more water - shave. The result was very impressive.

It passes the female rubbing of face test with flying colours - could not tell I had not used a razor [apart from the fact I didn't have strips of skin hanging from my neck].

Time will only tell just how many shaves you get from the £40 a time replaceable blade system though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Xmas pressie for husband, 4 Jan 2011
I bought this shaver as Xmas present for husband. It arrived promptly and was duly wrapped & left under the tree. You can imagine my disappointment when opened the plug attached is for an American plug hole! This meant no Xmas morning shave and having to wait till shops open to buy a universal adapter. This is extremely bad as bought from your UK website, not American, so why?
As I've mentioned my husband is happy with shaver, his only additional qualm being not great for shaving moustache!

3.0 out of 5 stars Super body with limitations, 1 Jan 2011
K. J. Southern (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I love the look and feel of my new Philips RQ1280 so in the design stakes it is a real winner. I was excited opening the box and this continued to wiring it all up to charge it. The display bursts in to live and after a short time your shaver is ready for its first shave.

I'm a lazy shaver but I was extra dilligent with my first shave. I go for six minutes and I have to confess I don't feel the shave is any closer than my previous Philips. Of course self doubt takes over and I begin to believe that it must be the weird bumps and curves of my face. I then remember the videos I watched about hugging countours so it can't be me. A few weeks after delivery it is no better than my previous Philps shaver which is a little bit disappointing for what is, at the moment, their top of the range shaver in the UK. The shave isn't a bad shave, it just isn't as exceptional as I was hoping for. I have only tried dry shaving so far.

A couple of other things I think are badly thought through. The head cover is transparent plastic of course but just attaching it a few times leaves you with the distinct impression it will not last more than a few months. A more robust head cover would be a positive boon to those of us who travel. Speaking of which... the charging system. The shaver HAS to be charged on the stand as there is no option to charge through the cable directly. I'm sure this is necessary to preserve the waterproof nature of the shaver but it means you have to take a stand with you if your trip is more than a week or so, particularly if you are a heavy shaver. I don't want to take the stand away with me so something to just allow charging would have been really useful.

The RQ1280 is fantastic in the hand and looks the part on the stand. It is simple to use and offers good shave.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best shaver I have had so far, 31 Dec 2010
Back in the eighties Victor Kiam ('I was so impressed I bought the company') famously advertised that his Remington shavers would 'shave as close as a blade, or I will give you your money back'. I bought one, and it didn't, but he did give me my money back!

I have used Philips electric shavers for most of the last 40 plus years. I have tried other brands including the Remington mentioned above, a Braun and a Boots own brand, and for a while tried wet shaving, but I always end up back with Philips. For me they really are the best, and I won't be claiming my money back on this one.

I have a tough beard and even this one requires some time to shave my neck smooth, but helped by a good pre-shave treatment (try a good oil) it does do the job and gives me the closest shave I have ever had. If I am going out in the evening I do need to shave again but that is the case with any method I have tried.

So why not the full 5 stars? Well, I do have a couple of quibbles.

My last but one Philips shaver gave a whopping 170 minutes on a full charge, nearly enough for a Polar expedition, never mind a fortnight in the sun. But like my last one this only gives 60 minutes shaving time on a full charge (actually it does go on for a bit after it says 0 minutes left), which is not really enough to last me a fortnight without having to pack the charger, and this is made worse with this model as you also need the stand to charge it, so that is something else to pack.

Having to replace the entire shaving head unit rather than just the cutters seems a retrograde step environmentally, and the design of this head has too much surround to the blades making it difficult to get in tight under your nose, so you have to use the trimmer for this (incidentally, although the instructions show it, there is actually no need to remove the shaver head unit to use the trimmer).

Also, why does the instruction sheet (like so many these days this is just pictures with no supporting text) mention two or three other similar models (including one with the Jet Clean system) that are simply not available?

But if you want a good electric shaver, for me this is the best I have so far found!

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips RQ1280, 20 Dec 2010
I am using Philips shaver since more than 10 years. This model is super and just after first use I feel the real difference comparing to my last one model 8894. This is very fast shaver and silent. Easy to clean and work very nice, good grip and very precise shaving especially wet with cream. I strongly recommend this one. There is only one thing bad let's say, the power mark and sign "SensoTouch 3D" are not so visible after few times of usage. This is little strange that in such a superb product Philips not care about wipe up marks it looks not good and this little thing is the only one against. Of course it has no impact on the final outcome of shaving.

Well done Philips!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Bit Of Kit, 17 July 2010
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am ordinarily a proponent of the wet shave along with a bath/shower where the skin is rested and ready. To reinforce the effect as the day goes on I found this shaver very good indeed. The multi heads work well at catching the different direction of stubble growth without leaving a dry feeling. It works perfectly well with a wet shave providing the best of both worlds. The docking station is minimalist and attractive and the whole package will please both the shaver and the gadgeteer. It is also small enough to be carried around to deal with five o'clock shadow. If only President Nixon had had one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Electric Razor for Wet Shave Fans, 6 Aug 2010
K. Mcdougall "keithmc" (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a wet shave fan, I have tried a few electric razors over the years and have always gone back to a wet shave with a razor, oil and gel / cream. The problem I have had with electric razors is that they seem to lose their sharp edge and then it can feel like my skin is being scraped, they can be a pain to clean (although I have also had self cleaning electric razors which of course overcome this problem) and they just don't get as close as a wet razor. I can also get spots on my neck when using an electric razor, perhaps due to the scraping feeling.

I got this razor because it could be used wet and this is something I've never done with an electric razor. The first thing I noticed when I unpacked the razor was how quickly it charges. The maximum charge is 60min and it took no longer 40mins to go from zero to fully charged. I used the razor wet with shaving cream and I was immediately impressed with the smoothness of the razor, it was smoother than any electric razor and probably smother than a wet shave with a normal razor. Better still, it was a close shave. The three rotor head is big, but it flexes very well and easily covers the different angles on my face.

Following the shave the razor was easy to clean, simply run under the the tap and put back on the stand. The display gives an accurate estimate of the time remaining with the charge.

I have tried using it as a regular dry shave also and it is better than other electric razors but not as good as using it wet.

The razor also has a lock to prevent it being switched on accidentally when travelling, it's a nice feature.

So why not 5 stars? Firstly the price - £270. This is a great electric razor but the price is still very high. The circular heads are great but it's a little difficult to be precise when shaving around sideburns. The razor does have a trimmer but this is only OK at best, it doesn't cope particularly well with longer hair. Finally if you do travel and you travel for extended periods you will need to take the stand with you as you can't simply plug the razor in to charge without the stand.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›