Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:30 Mins
The first thing that strikes you about the Philips RQ1180 SensoTouch Electric Razor is its ergonomically designed exterior; with the highly polished hard plastic shell and taught rubber backing fitting snugly into the palm of either right or left hand (helpful to know for those left-handed amongst us).

The razor charges from...
Published on 24 July 2010 by Chris Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Design over function
Published on 14 Mar. 2011 by Fulhamboy

5.0 out of 5 stars A very simple to use shaver, giving a close & comfortable shave - wet or dry!, 24 July 2010
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips SensoTouch RQ1180 GyroFlex 2D Rotary Rechargeable Shaver with Soft Travel Pouch (Personal Care)
Length:: 1:30 Mins

The razor charges from completely flat to maximum in just shy of an hour. From fully charged the manual states that you will have approximately 50 minutes worth of use. Charging is a doddle - just slip it into the stand it comes with and it replenishes its juices via the two small conductor points located on either side of the unit.

The charging stand will not allow the shaver to overcharge, which means that it can be permanently housed on the stand, charging up in between each use. When charging, a snazzy battery indicator lights up telling you the current level and that it's charging.

In order to get the best performance from the shape of the shaver head, a circular movement is required when using the electric shaver. For those who have traditionally used the `against the grain' single stroke, this can take a little getting used to.

After using the razor, in comparison to my other electric razors as well as wet shaving, I can honestly say that this razor gave me one of the closest shaves I've ever had. The shaving itself is quick, with the flexible head adjusting to all of the contours of my face and neck. The razor can be used for both wet and dry shaving - making it one of the most versatile razors on the market.

The cleaning and general maintenance of the razor is very simple; the easy to remove head popping off in your hand and then a quick run under the tap - job done! The razor also includes a handy little brush for cleaning away any hairs that get caught up or lodged underneath the head.

A precision trimmer is also included for keeping any facial hair or sideburns neat and tidy. The head for this simply pops on to the main unit and then you're good to go (see attached video).

A handy pouch is also included for the shaver and all its paraphernalia to fit into when taking the set away with you.

After a week of using the razor, I can safely say that it has given me a hassle free shave each and every day, which has also proven to be an incredibly comfortable and close shave.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylishly Clean Shaving, 19 Aug. 2010
pjr (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's been a while since owning an electric razor having converted from them to a wet shave about 10 years ago. The SensoTouch shows how far the electric razor has come in that time. It's an impressive item with several nice touches which make it a pretty desirable purchase.

The first impressions of the razor are quite striking. Compared to some of the razors on the market this is sleek and compact. Its waterproof design means all the switches and indicators are hidden under its sleek exterior. The head sits at the top clipping into the main body when sitting in its stand (which is also acts as the charger) the experience is akin to looking close up at a claret coloured praying mantis. The overall impression is delightfully modern.

Getting started is simple, plugging in the base to the charger and popping the razor on its stand it soon bursts into action. Charging taking about an hour to complete means it is ready to go in almost no time at all. The battery indicator on the front of the main body is bright, clear, and rather pretty - if truth be told.

Operating the razor the next revalation is how quiet it is. Compared to memories of buzzing monsters of youth this purrs quietly and has almost no sense of vibration when sitting in your hand. It does glide nicely over the skin and doesn't take long to do its job (although it hasn't really taken any less time than a wet shave). The cut is reasonable for an electric razor and the well designed head does manage to get around all the contours of the face. There is the addition of a trimming blade which can replace the standard head to cover and staighten sideburns. It's a nice little touch although it does feel a little plastic compared to the rest of the equipment. That said it does a good job.

The only real issue is with the instructions. The booklet included consists of pictures indidcating what to do. The one for changing the blades for the trimmer didn't seem exactly clear to me and I eventually had to resort to the website to deduce what the diagrams were telling me (you simply pull the head off, to save you the trouble of looking it up) and whilst it is appreciated that this overcomes the language barrier it did still seem a little confusing. Fortunately cleaning the razor is easy to do and the overall maintenance is a simple matter. The battery life seems to be lasting me about 5-7 days worth of shaves which seems pretty reasonable.

This isn't a cheap purchase but it is pretty easy to use and maintain. The look and feel is very pleasant and I suspect that this will be pretty durable too. Light and pretty compact (complete with a stylish travelling bag) this is something worth adding to a wish list and it has gone a long way to seducing me back to electric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as a wet shave, 9 Aug. 2010
Mr. P. Tanner "paultanner2" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used lots of electric shavers in the past, but never an expensive one. So is this worth the money. The short answer is yes. The blades are driven by a powerful motor which maintains a consisted ratation even when you catch a thicker or longer hair. The shave is very close and very smooth.

I suffer from razor burn when I use a electric shaver and, to be honest, I still do with this BUT it is far less than with my usual shaver. The foil is designed to shave longer and shorter hairs to give a close shave and they seem to work. You can use this wet or dry and it is good with both. It charges quicly and a single charge has lasted me three weeks with a shave a day apart from weekends - oh and it is still going strong.

It comes with a nice little pack which includes a fabric carry case, a cleaning brush and a great charger/stand. I would highly recommend this product, it is far better than the cheaper phillips shavers I have used in the past and gives as near to a wet shave as you are likely to get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good rotary shaver, 25 Aug. 2010
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been dry shaving for years and usually use foil shavers (my current one is a PANASONIC ES8109 Shaver + HQ110 Shaver head cleaning spray). I decided to give a rotary shaver a go for the first time in over 20 years and this is what I got. I've given it 5 weeks of usage before deciding to write a review. First impressions were mixed. It is obvioulsy a quality piece of kit, it is very tactile and easy to hold, yet the head looks cheap and plasticy. I also didn't like the fact that the trimmer is not integrated into the body - you must remove the main head and replace it with the trimmer head. The quality if the shave is pretty good, at first I had no technique and it took ages to do, but with time I got faster, my skin reacted to the shaving better and the finish was better than it had been. Battery charge has proven to be good so far, I have had to charge it approximately every two weeks. It ships with a stand that is also used as charger and it looks pretty good.

I have a few niggles however.

1. I travel alot as part of my job and having to remember to take two heads for my shaver is not ideal - one will get left in a hotel at some point.

2. You cannot charge the shaver without the stand, this means if I'm working away I need to take the stand with me. It doesn't feel particularly robust and I think it will break in my bags at some point.

3. This more to do with me, but I feel that my current foil razor give a better finish on the hard to reach areas. I would suggest that this is down to my technique, but if you are coming to this from a foil it is something to consider.

It is a high end electric shaver that does a good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Electric Shaver, 15 May 2011
This is the first electric shaver I have had for years. I bought it because I was going on a 4 week tour of Australia and there were 8 flights involved. I just couldn't face the hassle of taking and replenishing wet shaving gear, because of the 100ml limit on liquids in hand luggage. I went for this razor in particular because it has a Li-Ion battery which offered good capacity, a short recharge time and no problems associated with recharge memory effects often experienced with Ni-Cads. It also had good reports about the quality of shave achieved with it.

It has lived up to all my expectations and provides an excellent shave. It took me a while to get used to the fact that you have to go over the shave areas several times and to learn which direction suits which area best even though a rotation of the shaver is recommended. The battery lasts me for about a week after a full charge and it takes only about 1 hour to completely recharge it, as claimed by the manufacturers. I was initially concerned about whether the recharging stand was robust enough to stand up to the rigours of a lot of travelling around, but I have had no problems. This shaver is so good that I have consigned my old wet razor to the bin because my electric razor proves only a very slightly inferior result, is much quicker to use and is much more convenient.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 29 Jan. 2011
I have used electric shavers for about 20 years.
This razor gives the best shave that I have ever had from an electric shaver.
Would I recomend it - absolutely.
Instructions could be better.
Trim attachment - would have been better as a flip out.
Quick to recharge & last well.
A great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Design over function, 14 Mar. 2011
I bought the Philips Sensotouch as a replacement for my traditional Philishave which was a little old and slow (bit like its owner). First impressions were that it appeared a cheaper product, light and probably easily damaged. I have read other reviews that said it was uncomfortable to use and did not shave close. It is a little rougher on the skin than the traditional Philishave machines but it does shave very close, IF (and this is the important thing) you shave when there is a little stubble for the cutters to grip onto. This means shaving around the same time per day, say each morning. Trying to shave before at least 24 hrs growth gives a poor result, but this is the same for all rotary shavers. I suspect those who make this comment are not used to electric shaving. The wet or dry function is a gimmick without any real advantage over purely dry shaving, however it is usful to be able to wash the shaver heads. The hair trimmer attachment is poor and is attached by removing the shaving head, it is not as good as the integral trimmer on my old machine. Would I buy one again? Well there are two serious problems with this product. Firstly it is battery only, no mains option at all which will probably catch someone out, especially if like me they travel on business a lot. Secondly the actual cutting portion of the head is small and the plastic surround large, which makes getting to the stubble under the nose a real problem. I don't like looking like a second world war dictator so no I would not buy this product again. If however you do then you may want to give it a try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Whatever's going on at Philips?, 10 Feb. 2011
D. Stobbs "David Stobbs" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
The Philips RQ1180 SensoTouch shaver is potentially a great product let down by a lack of practicality in design and truly inadequate user instructions. It's an otherwise superb shaver that results in smooth, stubble-free facial skin. But, oh dear, whose idea was it to design a shaver head that requires nimble fingers to separate and wash clean, not to mention the risk of scalded fingers when washing the head, which has to be separated from the detachable housing so as to be properly cleaned? It would be stretching credibility to describe the illustrated so called user instructions as even basic or adequate - in fact, they might be described as double Dutch. Was it beyond the wit of Philips to stick to their previous practice of providing clear instructions in English (plus the languages spoken in their other markets)? Was it a matter of bean counters' cost cutting over the hitherto long-standing reputation for great design coupled with practicality? I really miss my Philishave Aquagenic 8000 Sensotec, now sadly out of production. Philips is a huge company with a huge pool of design and technical talent. How did they manage to mismanage this product which is supposed to be an improvement on previous products? Finally, if you decide to buy this product, don't waste time trying to register it via the Philips website. You simply won't know what serial number to enter. The website is quite useless for this particular product. So I called the Philips customer services helpline and received clarification.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shaver! Great value for money!, 21 Jan. 2011
This is not my first Philips shaver. I moved to electric shavers around 2 years ago, and I got the Philips 7300 series one that time. This is my 2nd shaver, and it is an upgrade to what I have. Initially, I wanted to give this product a 4.5, but since it's not possible and its great features outnumbers the minor discomforts, I went for 5. However, below, I'll split my review into the 5 star and 4 star features.

5 Stars for:

1. Design: The design of RQ1180/17 is great! It's slim, light, ans stylish.

2. Shaving experience:

2.a Dry shave: First, it is very important to use this machine for 15 consecutive days, even if you already use an electric shaver. It does need to get familiar with your facial features. Otherwise, you'd feel cheated, and that's what happened with me on day 1. Basically, shaving is quicker and easier compared to the 7300 series. However, on first shave, I thought it did not do a great job, and I felt the need for another shave after few hors. The next day, experience was better. Each day passing, I got familiar with the shaver and I could see improvements. Second, unlike the 7300, it is advised that shaving is done by circles and not in an up-down movement, while you could do both in the 7300 series. This requires you to be patient while shaving. Once you get familiar with the shaver, you'd notice that it produces clean and smooth shaves to your satisfaction.

2.b Wet shaving: Thank you Philips! The thing I missed most since migrating to electric shaving is the refreshing feeling that wet shaving provides. Now, it's possible! Also, I felt that Wet shaving gives smoother feel than dry shaving, and it's usually quicker.

3. Charging: A full charge gives me a week of shaving, not bad at all.

4. Value for money: I got the RQ1180/17 during Christmas. It costs 60 Euros, which is compared to its original price, cheap. Considering that I was about to change the shaving head for my 7300 shaver (which costs around 30 Euros), the difference was really 30 Euros. What this machine can offer for 30 0r 60 (or even 100) euros is great!

4 Stars for:

1. Cleaning: Unlike previous models, the blades compartment does not stay attached to the base of the head. Instead, the head splits into two sections, the blades compartment, and the base (Which holds hair in). This means that one needs to be very careful when cleaning blades compartment under hot water because he'll be in direct contact with hot water while holding blades compartment. In previous models, your hand/fingers could be at distant during cleaning. This is not the case here, so be careful!

2. Trimmer: I didn't feel any improvement there. The fact that it's separate, discourages its use. Still, for what it does, it's good.

Conclusion: This model provides smooth and clean shave with good value for money. I am more than satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good battery life, 1 Nov. 2010
This is my 3rd Philips wet/dry rechargable shaver in about 10 years.
The RQ1180 gives by far the longest shaving time between charges of the three.

I ran it for 2 weeks, shaving everyday + using the clippers and it still was showing some charge (white led).
Should be ok to take on holiday without bothering to bring the stand and power supply.