5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little piece of kit
Bought this to install a new OS on a Mac laptop whose DVD drive has died. Piece of cake - literally plug and play.
Very pleased indeed.
Published 20 months ago by Nightowl

2.0 out of 5 stars Started out well, but...
When I fist got this burner, a few months back, I loved it.
My original review was a rave.

But then, after about a month, the unit for some
reason started to struggle a bit with music CDs. It
skipped and stopped near the end of two new store bought,
commercial CDs that showed no scratches, and played fine on
my computer's built in...
Published on 8 Oct 2011 by K. Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little piece of kit, 21 Nov 2012
Nightowl (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive Black (Personal Computers)
Very pleased indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive (bootable) replacement for Macbook Pro failed internal optical drive, 14 Jun 2012
Having just spent 60 on a new internal hard drive for my 2011 15" Macbook Pro I was dismayed when the optical drive failed shortly afterwards. An Apple agent quoted around 100 to fit a replacement and warned that, in his experience, computers often wouldn't boot from the system disk using a "cheap" external USB drive. Despite this dire warning I went ahead and purchased the AmazonBasics USB External Optical Drive. I wasn't disappointed. The drive is neat and well built and the big bonus is that it DOES boot from the system disc if required. To be safe I recommend plugging in both USB leads for this purpose but otherwise the main lead is fine. Some may complain that the black finish doesn't match the silver of the MacBook Pro. I feel, however, that the black tones well with the black keyboard and screen surround. Anyway at this price who cares?

Supersaver delivery saw the drive arrive in two days. Thanks for the great service Amazon.

A highly recommended product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 25 Dec 2012
I am currently using this drive with my Macbook Retina, And although i don't use too many dvd's/cd's etc these days (mainly use for importing cd's into itunes, installing software, or playing the odd movie) it has read everything i've thrown at it with no problems what so ever. Size wise the drive is very slim and quite sleek looking and as a bonus doesn't require an external power adaptor as it is all powered through usb. My only negative and reason for 4 stars against this drive is mainly aimed at anyone like myself using the Macbook Retina. The usb cable supplied is split at one end and requires 2 usb ports to power, however the Macbook Retina only has 1 usb 3.0 drive at either side and therefore didn't fully work with the supplied cable. Luckily i had a couple of single usb cables kicking about (They can be bought on amazon for under 1 ) and the drive worked without an issue with one of those. Aside from that i would definitely recommend this drive over Apples overpriced superdrive or any of the other high priced usb drives. Great product from Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works right out of the box, 27 Feb 2013
I bought Photoshop Elements 11 and then found my in-built DVD drive on my iMac (OSX Lion) had gone west! Frustrating because I wanted to load the new program. Grrr! A quick phone call to my Apple repair shop and received a quote for 125+ to repair (probably 20% VAT on top of that too) and consequently I was feeling a bit miffed to say the least. Not to mention I would have to deliver / collect the complete iMac to the repairers thereby losing the use of it for days.
A bit of research later and I ordered the Amazon Basics DVD drive. I always feel safe getting stuff from Amazon 'cos you know if it doesn't work you can always send it back.
But I won't be sending this DVD drive back! No, sir!
It works straight out of the box. (A word of warning for Mac users; Ignore the instructions! Just plug BOTH USB plugs into your machine or a powered hub and it will work). Might be annoying for some others as instructions say you might need a power adaptor to make it work and that's an extra which is not included. However, for me, it did work and gets enough power from plugging in both USB plugs.
Didn't even have to load the software.
I've now installed PSE 11 without any problems whatsoever and the DVD player worked like a dream.
This little bit of kit is brilliant value and for 23 quid is a real "Get out of jail" card. Saved me time, saved me money and saved my blood pressure! I can only highly recommend it. Would have got 5 stars without confusing badly translated instructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with new Macs, 28 Jan 2013
Giles Tuck (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this to go with my new iMac, which is the latest model and does not have an optical drive. This Amazon DVD drive does not require any installation and the Mac sees any disks instantly. The drive is able to draw enough power from the included USB 2 cable, so no additional power supply is required, making for a less cluttered desk. The drive is a basic lump of plastic and is best hidden out of sight of the svelte lines of the iMac. Build quality seems good for the money, and performance is good, limited only by the USB 2 technology. A nice additional feature is that the drive does not have any region encoding, meaning you can play disks from all over the world. The Apple DVD player app doesn't like DVDs from other regions, but you can use alternatives such as VLC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 16 Mar 2013
Miles (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The optical drive on my 2009 MacBook Pro was failing and couldn't read about half my DVD collection (particularly the older DVDs). Rather than replacing the internal drive I opted for this Amazon Basics DVD/CD drive as I don't commonly need an optical drive anymore. It works perfectly, plug and play. I'm running Mountain Lion and have had no problems with this drive it'll play every DVD I put in it.

As a bonus, the DVD player is region-free. This means I can finally watch DVDs I've bought in other countries/zones :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a very good job.., 4 Dec 2011
Does exactly what it says on the tin, a very clean and workman like product.
I am more than pleased with it, plug in the USB and use it, pull out the USB and put it away.
No fuss no problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as advertised, 24 Feb 2013
Esther Leytush "Leytush" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This is a simple external disk drive that (if you use a Mac at least) works easily and immediately right out of the box. I bought it because I wanted to update my Mac's operating system from a disk but my computer's internal disk drive wasn't working. I simply plugged the external drive and inserted the disk, and the update went without any issues whatsoever. Very happy with it, especially considering the price. It delivers what it adverised--a no-frills performance at an excellent price. I don't know if it'll break down after a while--but for such simple functionality and ease, and cheap replacement price, who cares? Thank you, Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and Affordable DVD Writer, 25 July 2011
OMG! It's got a plug! (Winchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a light and compact DVD writer. Its footprint is not much bigger than a standard CD jewel case and it's as thick as two CD jewel cases stacked upon one another. It's powered by a dual USB cable (i.e. it uses two USB ports), but it also works using just one USB connector. There is an option to add a power adapter (not included) if your PC cannot provide enough power via the USB ports. However, I would suggest that most modern PCs will not require one. It has a spring operated front loading tray and it comes with a copy of Nero 9 Essentials. When connected to my laptop the drivers were automatically downloaded and installed - plug and play simplicity. It plays back video DVDs and CDs and it doesn't overheat.

DVD and CD burning performance with a laptop running MS Vista with 2GB of RAM and using both USBs:

4.7GB of data to DVD+R at x8 speed: 13 minutes.
700MB of data to CD-R at x24 speed: 5 minutes.

My laptop's performance was not affected in any way when the discs were burning.

In summary, this is a small, affordable and fit for purpose DVD writer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started out well, but..., 8 Oct 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
When I fist got this burner, a few months back, I loved it.
My original review was a rave.

But then, after about a month, the unit for some
reason started to struggle a bit with music CDs. It
skipped and stopped near the end of two new store bought,
commercial CDs that showed no scratches, and played fine on
my computer's built in drive, and on my regular CD player.
But mostly, it did fine.

Now another two moths later the problems have grown.
It's started to struggle with more CDs. When I've tried
to burn tracks to iTunes it often freezes mid-burn. I have
no problems with the same CDs in my iMac's internal burner.

And now I've noticed DVDs are starting to struggle. I've
had a few bad burns, and some digital break up on playback.
Again, these discs were not problems with the internal burner.
(And I always use high quality media to burn).

It still works more often than not, but just 3 months into ownership
I don't like wondering if it's going to work each time I go to
use it. A great price, but not for a burner that seems to
fall apart this fast. Maybe I just got a lemon...

I will say, Amazon was great and easy to deal with in terms of
giving me a refund, and I'll give a different burner
a try.