5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
As long as you set it up correctly it works 100% so its trial and,error to get a,great picture which I have now.
Published 23 months ago by Davy

Published on 11 Jan. 2011 by J. Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Picture quality and stability only OK over very short distances, 11 Jan. 2011
J. Taylor - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friedland Response CWFK1 Wireless Colour Camera CCTV Kit (DIY & Tools)
I bought this to stick outside in the back garden and watch wildlife from the living room. No chance. The camera's transmission range is extremely short and highly prone to interference from just about anything electrical. With the camera in same room as the receiver, the picture is pretty good (colours a bit washed out, but reasonably sharp). Taking the camera outside produces very fuzzy, disrupted pictures from about 4 metres. Getting to 10 metres yields such a bad quality image that the TV often decides that there is no source attached at all. Sadly, I wanted it to be 15-20 metres from the house in open conditions...

The instruction book mentions stuff that really should be available to prospective buyers beforehand:

"The wireless camera is capable of transmitting up to 100m in open field conditions. However, when installed around your property, any solid objects (e.g. walls, ceilings, reinforced PVC doors etc) placed between the camera and receiver will reduce the range... Avoid installing the camera or receiver next to a metal radiator, wireless router or microwave oven"

"You may find that if the wireless camera is installed outside the property, the maximum operating range without interference may be no more than 10m (provided only single brick wall acts a barrier between the camera and receiver)."

I strongly dispute that last point. We tested with the receiver inside on the window sill and the camera outside about 5m away in a direct line of sight - picture was highly disrupted and could not make out the image. Regarding first point, most of us are used to wireless routers giving patchy results due to walls etc, but this camera is really not fit for purpose when so badly affected by regular household stuff like radiators. I disabled the wireless router, cordless phones etc to see if they made a difference, but just the same.

If you want to put this outside your front door and see who is calling from the front room, then the camera would be fine. There may have been something wrong with the camera as I was surprised at just how bad the picture got when moved only a short distance away. Got bored after a couple of hours of trying to make it work properly and sent back to Amazon.

Pros:

- everything feels well made and the camera is reassuringly heavy
- fine for very basic, short range setups such as viewing the room next door or the front door etc
- night vision is pretty decent

Cons:

- picture quality is dramatically affected for ranges > 3-5m and especially when camera is placed outside
- colours are pretty washed out (when you can get a decent picture that is)
- interference is a major, major problem and can come from just about anything you have in your house

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you want to give up your life to understand the successfull operation of this camera, 20 Dec. 2013
jaz "jaz" (birmingham england) - See all my reviews
Sturdy built and compact I felt empowered when I purchased this kit, with the hope of catching someone that was dumping rubbish in my garden. With patience I managed to operate it with successful recordings through two brick walls and a window but it was not easy. I realised after a couple of days that I should have bought a wired device. I had to perform many experiments considering position of the receiver and electrical devices in the home. I gained the knowledge of how my system would perform considering every electrical device in my house including my children's game consoles and wireless broadband. For example operation of a microwave oven would render my surveillance useless. As a result of this my wife was considering divorce as I continued my surveillance operation against the entity that was dumping black bags of empty cans in my garden.
This is now in the past as I now reside somewhere else, the receiver is now in the bin and I have a fully operational cctv system, however when I look out of one of my windows on a rainy day a tear forms in my eye when I see the camera I once used that I have now installed as a dummy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 7 Jun. 2013
Bought this expecting it to be good but its rubbish.The range is pathetic and picture is awful.Don't even bother if you have other electrical items in the same room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Friedland Response CCTV, 11 Nov. 2012
Really pleased with this item. Does all it says on the tin and and have had no problems at all. We use it to monitor our dogs - bitches whelping and, later, puppies and it is excellent - better than the one we had before which 'died.' Good resolution in daylight and also infra red. The dogs are in another room in the house and I can keep an eye on them from the kitchen without constantly popping in and out.

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 25 Sept. 2013
picture very poor quality you can only make out a face if you are looking into the camera from a distance of 6 inches .

3.0 out of 5 stars cctv camera kit for private use, 27 Feb. 2013
not bad for the money night time pictures awfull,colour daytime not great but it works reasonably well not a product would buy again though..

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 23 Sept. 2013
Reasonable quality. Good picture on the TV, but can only be used very close to the TV as the cable is so short. Would have preferred a longer lead. Works well though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 1 Jun. 2013
Depending on your requirements this product is good, so long as the receiver is placed less than 2m from the camera and no thick walls In between. However, when hooked up to the PVR the quality decreases dramatically. Good for viewing who is what your front door in real time, but no good to use as a recording camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars utter junk, 15 Mar. 2014
do not buy they do not work, tried mine in clear view 5 foot to 30 foot and picture is terrible and drops signal every 10 seconds. wish ice got my money back imediatley.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›