5.0 out of 5 stars Great Razor - if assembled correctly!
I love this razor but there is a story....
OK I'm brand new to safety razors, I've been using disposables for ever.
I tried this razor out and got a really bad shave, loads of stubble left over. I read all over the forums about it being an art and in time you will get it. Four weeks later, I was still getting a rubbish shave.
I had decided this razor was...
Published on 24 July 2011 by Venton

2.0 out of 5 stars Razor for Diddymen
This type of razor can eventually save you a fortune rather than the normal Cosworth GTI razors now days.

The razor handle is so small though it's the length of your little finger. Good shave though but they were very tight manufacturing the handle.
Published 9 months ago by Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Razor - if assembled correctly!, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Edwin Jagger Imitation Ivory Double Edge Safety Razor with Pack of Five Blades (Personal Care)
I love this razor but there is a story....
OK I'm brand new to safety razors, I've been using disposables for ever.
I had decided this razor was too mild for me and had just ordered a different type (an adjustable).
As I was cleaning it to put it away, I wondered if the base plate (where the razor fits to be held) could be fitted the other way round.
I looked closely at the product image on Amazon and sure enough, I had it wrong - ever since I got it.
I flipped the plate over and OMG I immediately had a brilliant close shave.
NEWBIES - MAKE SURE YOU FIT THE PLATE THE RIGHT WAY ROUND. If you don't it still shaves, but very badly. I heard someone else had the exact same probem, so double check yours when you get it.
I am now thrilled with my first 'proper' shave. Baby smooth skin at last.
What a doughnut I am !! Seriously, I was about to leave a one star review.
Now I love it, it is solidly made, and looks really nice.
The finishing on the metal is very smooth with no machining marks. The chrome is smooth and flawless. The comb is nicely machined. The handle grips fine, as long as your hand isn't covered in soap. This razor will last for life I think.
I know how good this is, as I ordered a Merkur Progress and sent it back. Next to this, the Merkur felt and looked inferior in every respect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent kit, 24 Nov 2010
Has this taken over from the Merkur 34C to become the "standard" traditional razor?
The new Edwin Jagger head, which they seemingly co-developed with Muhle in Germany, is amazing. It feels bullet proof, as if it will never bite, yet it very effectively and effortlessly slices through the stubble. It is easy enough for beginners yet rewards the more experienced.
And the razor is beautifully made, a real piece of craftsmanship and engineering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased., 14 Oct 2010
It feels "weighty" enough in your hand and is a good shave. Go get one. Shame it doesn't have a butterfly loading mechanism.

If you haven't wet shaved with a safety razor you can't go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutting Edge, 9 Mar 2011
This razor gives the most comfortable shave I have ever had. I have been using it for about 3 months and have not looked back to using the cartridge razors I have used previously.
The blades that are supplied are of very good quality with a fantastic edge on them and as a result I have not felt any discomfort during or after shaving.

Aesthetically this product looks fantastic, with a very traditional and elegant appearance. The faux ivory with the inscribed metal section of the handle look very nice.

The razor is very well constructed with high quality materials, when replacing a blade for example the screw top mechanism is smooth and easily undone whilst remaining secure when tightened.

The shave that this razor gives, admittedly is not the closest shave that you can get as a result of which I was tempted to knock a star off, but it will definitely be one of the most comfortable. This was my first 'safety razor' and have found that it is easy to use with very little effort required.

This also offers fantastic value with 5 blades supplied with each blade realistically lasting for easily a month without needing to be changed.

Overall a great product that I would recommend to any of my mates and even looks stylish next to the sink!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, Made in Sheffield, 3 Sep 2011
I've just taken a step back in time, rediscovering after thirty+ years, safety razor shaving.
Buying a razor over the internet is a bit like Russian Roulette - read the reviews, watch the videos, and eventually take the plunge. The labels "Hand Made in Sheffield" and "Family Firm", helped sway my decision, and I'm not disappointed.
Open the Amazon package, and there's not a piece of plastic in sight. Instead, a quality, matt black box contains the weighty razor, wrapped in heavy tissue paper. The head of the razor is where all the weight is. Take some time to get used to the 'angle of attack' and try to keep the handle dry to avoid slipping.

Shaving has now become a ritual. Like throwing away the tea-bags, and employing a geisha to make the tea.
Coupled with the items below, the Jagger razor is an excellent start - maybe I'll change the blades, perhaps I'll buy a second, or third razor, and a travel set, but, I don't think I'll be buying another disposable.
Don't believe the people who tell you only to shave in the morning, when your skin is relaxed. Shave in the evening, just before you shower. That way your partner, and you, both benefit from a close shave.

Do yourself, and the planet, a favour. Step up to a safety razor, a badger brush, and a good quality soap.

Edwin Jagger 9EJ947SDS Handmade Imitation Ivory Shaving Brush with Drip Stand - Small
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream (150 g)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first safety razor, 6 Feb 2011
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have been using the Fusion and Hydro razors, but it does become expensive if you keep replacing the heads when the manufacturers state you should. I thought about this type of shave and after looking at some great videos on YouTube, decided to give it a go.

I did not want to spend too much incase it was not right, so set a budget and this came in it easily, and was a good name brand as well. It comes in a nice box with 5 blades and a nice ivory look handle. It feels quality. The razor does feel sturdy to hold and weighs quite a bit more than the cartridge razors. You hold the top and twist the handle to remove the top. Insert a blade and repeat to close. Hold at the ends so that you do not cut your self.

Remember the shaving technique is different compared with Fusion and Hydro razors. Make sure you get good lather and do not press down, let the weight of the razor head and blade do the shaving and take small shaving strokes. My first attempt ended up me looking like I had been attacked, but after changing method, it worked and can say it is a great razor. The blades are so much cheaper than the cartridge type, so the inition expense will soon be recovered in the amount saved. This razor will last years.

It is a slower shave than cartridge types, as they are designed so it pulls the hair out and cuts it. This just cuts, so you will have to shave 2-3 times, lathering in between each shave or pass as the correct term is known. Although slower, I feel I have achieved something when using this razor.

4.0 out of 5 stars SMART RAZOR, 30 Dec 2012
Like the look of this razor, very retro. My husband needs a bit more practice but I'm sure he will learn to love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great shaver. best value, 31 May 2012
Received this in double quick time ( usual first class Amazon experience). I am an experienced DE shaver and have used every type of de razor over the years from all of the main players. Please be assured that in my opinion this tool is the best value , best made , and best quality item of its type you are ever likely to buy . I strongly suggest that you get one now before the word gets out and prices start to rocket!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Gillette, 25 April 2011
20 years ago a package arrived addressed to me, then a 16 year old lad - A present from Gillette, a razor some blades and some Gel. That present then stopped me from ever knowing what it was like to use a real razor! for the following 20 years I've pretty much just brought replacements for that brand of razor. Now that's what I call marketing!

So on my last visit to the supermarket all of this came flooding back, on checking out the prices of 8 Fusion blades - I thought enough is enough, surely there's a better way of shaving, men have done it for centuries without these damn (un-recyclable) cartridges.

On investigating some more I found and read about this DE safety razor, hand made in Sheffield, so far its great and now all each blade cost is 1p for the initial outlay of 30 odd pounds (razor, brush, blades, soap).

After the first attempt I came away with some tiny cuts, second attempt was better, just one slight graze. I just need to master the foaming of the soap or maybe try a cream instead.

Overall very happy, I'll be back to add a further update in a month or two.

Just to add incase you've read other review on the Edwin Jagger, the handle of the razor is great, not at all slippy, like people have mentioned about the all chrome version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shave and superb quality., 7 April 2011
A Williams "designaw" (Warwickshire, GB) - See all my reviews
Recommended. Quality designed and manufactured product. Includes a five pack of Derby blades that produce an excellent shave. The DE head is reliable and trustworthy with a good weight that let's it glide over the face without needing any pressure. A very smooth, close, safe shave - truly the best a man can get!
After years of using cartridge razors a few weeks of using the DE has convinced me that I will never go back!

ARRAY(0xae1169c8)