5.0 out of 5 stars A new approach to war films, honest and realsistic.
Published on 14 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars flawed (heavily) masterpiece
Book ended by some seriously outstanding film craft, we get an utterly predictable Spielberg-by-numbers wet tissue. However, the DVD is worth owning for the technically brilliant, peerless pro/epilogue alone.
Published on 15 Dec 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A new approach to war films, honest and realsistic., 14 Nov 2001
By A Customer
Spielberg has broken from the norm with this film and has the courage to depict war as it really is. Previous war films have been heavily sanitised to 'protect' the viewer, and Saving Private Ryan acts as a wake up call to the public, especially to myself and the younger generation, who have never experienced a major conflict in our lifetime. This film acts as an antidote to the traditional John Wayne style war movie. War is not fun, and this film removes the myth that when a soldier is shot, they fall to the floor quietly and lie still. Some of the injuries suffered by the soldiers are truly horrific but the level of violence is not gratuitous and is necessary as it adds to the level of realism.
Many people have argued that this film only portrays the American side of D-Day, neglecting the contribution of the troops from other Allied nations. Whilst this is true, Omaha beach and the areas featured in this film were areas attacked by predominantly American troops, and to feature the entire Normandy area of operations would overly complicate the story. The scene showing Omaha beach after the battle, with the sea flowing red with all the blood spilt, is particularly poignant and brings a lump to the throat of everyone who sees it.
I recently watched this film with my grandfather, who landed on the British 'Gold' beach in one of the first waves ashore on June 6th 1944. He watched the first 20 minutes of the film, which depicts the D-Day landings, with tears in his eyes as the memories of that day flooded back. While he got through that day unharmed, a number of his friends and comrades were not so fortunate. The film transported him back 57 years, and he said that this is the closest you can get to the reality of the landings without actually being in a landing craft and coming under fire.
Saving Private Ryan aptly demonstrates the horror and chaos of battle. After watching this film I found myself with a new found sense of respect for those young men who were thrust into the Hell of World War 2 and still carry those memories as pensioners. Stunning, moving, compelling, and deserving of all the accolades it gets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Private Ryan, 9 Jun 2005
John Corbett - See all my reviews
Saving Private Ryan finally gets the treatment it deserves with this superior DVD release, now complete with a DTS soundtrack. The special features on the discs are minimal, with only a few trailers and some notes; but there is an interesting, if not fascinating documentary on the making of the film which includes interviews with D-Day veterans.
However, you probably wouldn't buy a film like this for the features. You would buy it for the intense, unrivalled and spellbinding combat sequences - most notably the acclaimed D-Day landing recreation. But it doesn't stop there. Spielberg takes us into a debate about the war through the eyes of eight stereotypical soldiers (although nonetheless powerful or resonating for it). The soldiers lay the different views, reasons and arguments before the audience about the war that were shared by so many at the time.
The film climaxes in what can only be described as a brilliant battle between the platoon in peril and Nazi tanks and infantry. The film is improved with the DTS soundtrack, which completely immerses you into the experience. This is a great transfer onto DVD of a great film.
The extras too on this 2-disc release are good, documenting well each aspect of the making of the film. Altogether, a worthy treatment of what has been often called the greatest war film ever made!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Truth about the Blu Ray, 27 April 2010
Mr. Nicholas J. Reede "BigNickUK" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Right let me just clear this up once and for all.
This is an excellent Blu Ray transfer and the Audio is absolutely amazing. The problem people are having when reviewing this picture quality is that Stephen Spielberg purposely filmed it in a grainy, smeared and soft way to try and make it more vintage and authentic. If you dont believe me then check the original DVD too as a comparison.
Do not expect the kind of picture you would get with Avatar!!!
Amazing film
Amazing Blu Ray

Here endeth the lesson :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Private Ryan – Depicting War As It Is., 20 Nov 2005
father2 "father2" (England Europe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Saving Private Ryan starts with the depiction of the disaster that fell upon the landing United States troops on the 6th of June 1944 during D-Day at Omaha Beach. Under Steven Spielberg the scenes from Omaha Beach are powerful and deeply moving. That other famous D-Day film, The Longest Day, wrongly depicted the GIs landing at Omaha Beach and running to the enemy emplacements, but Saving Private Ryan shows it as it really happened. Unlike many of the other beaches on D-Day the pre-bombing of the German emplacements at Omaha Beach had failed to destroy the defenders, so they were able to rain down on the landing forces murderous fire. Getting across Omaha Beach is shown in all it's moving drama, with casualties mounting every second. Just watching it makes you wonder how anybody was able to reach the German positions at all. Yet they did and eventually they secured the beach. The depiction of realistic battle scenes from the start of Saving Private Ryan should make anyone aware that this film is not for those who are squeamish.
Following these landings the film takes up the story of finding Private Ryan. Tom Hanks leads a platoon of men, sent by the top brass to locate Ryan and bring him back safely. Tom Hanks is outstanding in this film, effectively presenting a man from a simple background thrown into the heat of battle, leading other men who have seen action in one theatre of war after another. Now they find themselves in France – veteran soldiers following orders and trying to stay alive. The second half of the film may be more sedate than the first frenetic scenes, but the gritty determination of these war veterans carrying out their orders is presented clinically and effectively. Steven Spielberg's direction throughout makes the viewer feel that they are right there witnessing the action beside the soldiers. Indeed you have to remind yourself sometimes that you are not there but safely away from the dangerous action.
The quality of this 60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition DVD is very good indeed. The colour of the film is a cross between colour and black and white, which seems to suit the mood of the whole unfolding drama effectively. For me Saving Private Ryan changed forever the depiction of war, any war, on film. Now, when I see many other films depicting war, they look very shallow and unrealistic. Saving Private Ryan is a huge landmark film and one that touches you deep inside, filling you with a massive appreciation for the soldiers of all sides who bravely fought for our freedom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Private Ryan, 14 Mar 2010
S. Hurford "WorkingClassHero" (The Shire) - See all my reviews
My copy arrived today (24th April) and I've just watched it.

I can honestly say it's quite the experience on BluRay and a definite improvement from the DVD. Never one to short change us, this two disc set also contains special features from BOTH DVD releases.

The picture itself can be a little soft at times, but only very infrequently. On the whole it's a very well presented picture. Plenty of detail, some little bits and pieces I'd only noticed upon watching this version, and this is my favourite film. The colours have been altered ever so slightly and are much richer, but I think that's largely because there's much more resolution with HD.

The DTS-HD soundtrack is phenomenal. I've heard this film in standard NICAM on VHS, Dolby 5.1 on the original DVD release and in DTS on the 60th Anniversary 2-disc re-release. The HD soundtrack presented on this feature blows all these out the water and it's almost formidable in it's power. It's aggressive, but never overbearing. Dialogue is clear and consistent throughout and the rear channels get a thorough working over.

If you've got any precious trinkets on mantlepieces or shelves I'd glue them down, as the LFE on this will shake, rattle and roll the plaster of the walls with enough volume. If you have neighbours, and you like them, best forewarn before watching. If you don't like your neighbours, or are detached (like me) crank this up and get in the war.

In summary, an excellent addition to the collection and worth every penny. If I could give it ten stars I would, as it's also my favourite film ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, shocking depiction of war, 2 Mar 2009
This review is from: Saving Private Ryan [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see this in the cinema when it first came out. My friends and I were speechless when we came out, this film is harrowing. The story is simple and the characters may be a little cliched but its hardly the point, what counts here is the depiction of war at its most brutally honest. In this film Spielberg proved his genius to me, rising above the silliness and indulgent sentimentality of most of his work.

There is some sentimentality in this, but as someone who was moved to tears when visiting the war graves at Omaha Beach I do not find it inappropriate. I wondered about the people whose memorials I saw and this film gives a graphic, shocking account of how they died. Veterans have said that in watching the first scenes of this film they were taken back to what they hadn't allowed themselves to remember. Spielberg did his homework well and the grainy, slightly overexposed look to this film adds authenticity.

We are all survivors of war but we do not understand it unless we have direct experience. As a man who would probably been a soldier during WW2 I look at this and wonder how I would have managed, what I would have done. These are questions we should all ask ourselves if we allow our countries to indulge in warfare and this film is starkly honest in its depiction of what is meant by heroism, sacrifice and the altered reality that is war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relieved, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: Saving Private Ryan - 2 Disc Special Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I was nervous with updating my DVD version of this to blu-ray. But thankfully it was well worth it, the pciture quality is amazing and the sound literally blows you away! If your having any doubt about updating your DVD, trust me its worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing film, 21 Jun 2010
Jordan Mclean (UK) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for an amazing war film you have found your place.
Saving private ryan is a very heart-warming film following men in the army.

This is by far one of the best war movies ive ever watched, So much action and killing aswell! Everyone looks very realistic. There is alot of gore if you are squeamish of it.

Worth a watch, On blu-ray nice HD Audio quality. The general guaility didnt improve that much.
Well worth the money
5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars saving private ryan ok, 15 May 2010
Lecerf "swing" (france) - See all my reviews
Apres plusieurs visionnage de ce blu-ray dans toutes les langues disponibLe je peut dire que mon exemplaire n'a aucun defaut.Testé plusieure fois syncronisation image son et effets spéciaux Tous OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing realism - The finest war film ever made, 7 Nov 2010
Dave (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The first 20 minutes of this stunning Blu-Ray DVD depict the D-Day landings with such harrowing reality that it leaves the viewer exhausted, both mentally and physically - I almost felt as if I had been there. This DVD shows us that the realities of war are grim and bloody, horrifying and unforgiving, and that even just being there took more courage than many of us will ever have to find in our easy peacetime lives. For me, it gives an illustration of both the raw courage of the combatants, the strong sense of dutythat drove them on, and the futility and waste of it all. A fantastic film, harsh, gritty, and awful - But I am glad I found the resolve to watch it. The picture is deliberately grainy in places, to give a vintage newsreel effect, and the punishing and explosive soundtrack adds to the vivid 5.1 surround sound reality, and make "Saving Private Ryan" a gripping and immersive experience to watch. Buy this DVD, and you will add the finest war film ever made to your collection - But it's not for the faint hearted!