Colour: BlackChange

on 25 September 2011
Delivery was quick and packaging fine.

A bobble bottle comes in three parts - the bottle, the filter and the cap. The latter two bits need replacing every 3-4 months at a cost of around £5 (still a massive saving over buying bottles of water but worth knowing about.

I bought my bobble as I commute on the tube a lot and I always like to travel with bottle of water. I used to buy bottled water and then refill them a few times before chucking them out (you shouldn't refill ordinary plastic bottles too often as they degrade over time and leak nasty chemicals into your water - although to be honest its not a major problem as most people I know chuck them after a few refills in any event). A bobble bottle is made of different plastic that doesn't have the same chemical compounds so can be refilled as often as you wish.

So, what's the bobble like to use? First off the shape is distinctive, personally I love the shape and feel of it. When you first get it, you have to soak the filter and give the bottle a rinse - easy to do and a 3 minute job. Assembly is as easy as you would expect (insert filter and.. done!).

Drinking from the bobble take a bit of practice, you sort of part squeeze and part suck. When I started (and this is the same for many of my friends) it wasn't that great to be honest - and it nearly ended up languishing on a shelf. However as the plastic bobble bottle softens slightly with use and you master the technique then it becomes easy and instinctive. I am in danger here of making it sound difficult, and it isn't, its just drinking water after all lol; but don't rely on it for your gym visit until after you have mastered guzzling rather than sipping! :)

The filter works well, removing any unpleasant taste from the water (useful if you live in an area where it is very chalky or hard). You are recommended to clean it every now and then (which means soaking it in some boiling water); likewise clean out the bobble bottle (soapy water) and the lid. I find the latter tends to discolour but you get new ones with the replacement filters.

Problems - well if you don't push the teat bit back down when you finish drinking then you are effectively leaving it open and it will of course then leak - I guess that's a stupidity/drunk test and a mistake that I have only made once. Very occasionally, especially with a new filter, the teat part of the filter can be tricky to pull up in to the open/drink position - but its not an issue, if it happens then just untwist the filter slightly to release the pressure and then pull it up into the open position.

If the filter starts smelling a bit rubbery (rather like a wet-suit) then you definitely know its time for a new filter! Mine last around 4 months with daily use.

Bottle sizes: I first bought the smaller one and would strongly recommend against it. With a bobble bottle you will find you are drinking more water than normal (which is good) but as a result you will end up wondering why you bothered buying such a tiny bottle. This is the best size for normal every day use/travel and I have a bigger one on my desk at work (they all use the same size filters).

So to round up, if you buy a lot of bottled water stop, buy one of these - they are greener, and much much cheaper over time. If you want to drink more water or like to have a travel bottle for commuting etc then - yup buy one!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2011
I was given one of these as a present, today. Simple, well packaged with clear instructions on the pack warning about charcoal dust needing to be rinsed/squirted from the unit initially. As I have an under-the-sink unit with a carbon filter ( and a similar warning ), it was no surprise to have this warning.

Clear water isn't usually a problem in this area but there have been odd occasions when the stench of TCP has been a problem for a short period. Will this solve such a problem ? Only time will tell. I guess.

Having said that, the first bottle/bobble full, filled from the main pipe not the filter tap, has been impressive.

Update : 24 hours and 3x fillings later - in a word 'stunning'. It's like drinking liquid silk. Sorry if that sounds corny but I'm very impressed.
on 10 April 2015
Initially I thought this was a fantastic idea ( by design it looks that way ). However, once you have it for a few days you realise that it does have its cons. One of these cons is ( some =one has previously mentioned) the fact that you have to squeeze the bobble relatively hard to get water out of it whereas with a standard bottle of water this would not be the case it flows straight into your mouth depending on what angle it is held at . Thus when you wake up at night and you would like a little bit of water the last thing you want todo is squeeze a a plastic bobble to get a drop of water.

Secondly, I am now sitting in the silent section of the library.. My bobble has now developed this really annoying sound through it carbon filter when i am done drinking it as thought it is gasping for air. It never use todo this and I have only had it for 3-4days - will cleaning it sort this out ? Do i have to clean it that often ?

Also I have more recently noticed that the bib to the filter is becoming increasingly difficult to open. Is this the case with anyone else's ?

3/5 is a fair assessment for this product as it does have its pro's but i am wondering whether in a few more days these will be outweighed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2014
I was a poor drinker of water based drinks, since I've got this I've never stopped, great, non stop drinker
on 11 June 2013
I got my first bobble in 2011. I'm only writing this review now as reading some of the other reviews on here (particularly the 1 star reviews) make me jump to the Bobbles defence.

To address some of the common 'problems' people are having...

"The spout is too difficult to pull up"...
All bobble filters are different. Some are easy and some are difficult. It's not a fault. You can actually try pulling them up in the shop before you buy.

Yes, there can be a certain amount of leakage, but as long as you keep the filter closed and the bottle upright whilst transporting you'll be fine. It's not rocket science.

"It covers me in water when I drink"
This is an interesting one. This only started happening to me recently. When you tip the bottle up and 'guzzle' water, the air flow won't work quick enough and the water just leaks from under the nozzle. The only way to solve this is to not guzzle. It's not that kind of bottle.

"It leaves black bits floating in the water"
It does explain in the instructions that you need to empty out - through the nozzle - a whole bottle full of water before first use. This clears any carbon residue and you won't get black bits floating in the bottle. Simple

"It only dispenses a small amount of water"
Again, if you want to guzzle loads of water at once, don't buy a bobble. Buy a more open mouthed bottle.

My bobble comes everywhere with me everyday. It's a lightweight, reasonably priced water bottle. Easy to fill, easy to use and easy on the eye. The bobble gets a lot of attention and I've encouraged at least ten people to buy one. Personally I have found that the filters last longer than three months (and I fill it 4x per day) and the bottle should be replaced at least once a year (that's just personal preference though). You will also need to soak the filter once every few weeks to stop it smelling stale. But anything that involves water will have this problem.

The only downside I can think of...
You can't put the bottle part in the dishwasher as the plastic melts (yes, I tried it once).

Get one. They're good :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2012
This is a really good idea, and it enables me to drink the dodgy tap water at work, but I have a problem with the flow of the water, and having to squeeze the bottle a little too hard for my liking. Good, but I need it to come out a bit faster.
on 11 May 2011
If this review was based purely on taste it'd get 5 stars. I've used my bottle for 2 weeks now and I no longer have that slightly earthy flavour to the water when I drink through the bottle. However, you can't just gulp water through this. You have to squeeze the bottle a fair bit to get enough pressure to push water through the carbon filter. And you only get about enough water for about half a mouthful peer squeeze. Also, maybe I got a dud bottle, but the slightest bit of pressure causes the cap to close after you pop it making it even harder to drink water from it. I'm going to buy another bottle to see if I did just get a dud and will update my review accordingly. Otherwise, I fear it's back to glass bottles filled from the (slow) Brita pitcher.

Update: I've had this for a few months now and still have the same issue. I didn't need to buy a new bottle because 3 of my friends purchased it and had the same issues I did. In addition, it's now started to make a whizzing sound when you drink from it (which my other friends have noted as well). I still have mine, because I hate to throw away things and I still like the taste of the water. But, I rarely use it. Only when I'm too lazy to wait for the Brita pitcher to finish filtering water. But it's totally impractical for Sports use or when you're really thirsty. Shame as it's a good idea in theory.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2015
The bottle is flimsy, and thin, the filter is very slow to drink from. I find myself removing the cap before drinking, defeating the purpose of the filtration. Only redeeming quality is that the product has a beautiful form - if only it was better made!
on 27 April 2015
Didn't even last 2 months at normal use. The filter cracked sideways, nearly all the way around, water unexpectedly leaked out and soaked everything. I didn't expect it to last forever, but certainly not to be this poor.
review image
on 27 April 2014
Great tasting water but its a shame they dont tell you about what they use to replace bpa. Bps is used instead and it has the same effects as bpa on the body. How can companies get away with his.