5.0 out of 5 stars Good - as expected from Casio!
Published on 9 July 2011 by Colin

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality watch from a poor quality seller.
This watch was bought in March, by August the watch had locked it's screen with all parts of the LCD displaying at once. This required a reset by removing the battery (By a watch shop, who charged me for the privilege).
Then the battery died, I presume because of the over use of the display.
Now, in December, it's onto it's third battery and the sound has...
Published 4 days ago by Mr. T. Osborne

5.0 out of 5 stars Good - as expected from Casio!, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's Digital Watch SGW-300H-1AVER With Resin Strap (Watch)
This watch is excellent value and highly recommended. It is well made and put together and I like the resin strap. I have been pleasantly surprised by the altimeter's accuracy and it gets my town's height just about right at 45M altitude - unbelievable really! Hell, it even changes by 5m when I go upstairs to the toilet!! I disagree with those who expect the thermometer to be accurate on the wrist. Of course it's going to be warmer close to a heat source with no free air flowing over it or covered by clothing. Casio say in the pdf manual -which you can download from their website- that on-wrist temperature & barometer readings aid the altimeter calculations. Off wrist, the thermometer is accurate and gives the same reading as an 'Oregon Scientific' weather station I have.

There are numerous world city times you can view too as well as multiple alarms, stopwatch, countdown timer and hourly pip function. Plus a little, simplistic graphic to show pressure trend up or down.

The watch is ideal for weekend wear, walking or cycling and isn't too oversize or chunky looking when worn. Great value compared to the more expensive models and it should last a few years too. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth £40, 27 July 2012
As I wanted a watch for walking it was imperative that the altimeter was fairly accurate. I'm pleased to report that as long as you callibrate it at the beginning of your day's walk it most definately is accurate. Walks up Ingleborough, Hellvelyn and Whernside have confirmed it to be accurrate to within 5 meters. As the watch measures altitude through air pressure its no surprise really that this will change daily due to fluctuations in the weather. The watch looks great. It's not too big like many other walking watches and looks like it will be really robust. For £40 you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars At this price it's a no brainer, 8 May 2013
This watch tells the time, and it has a stop watch, and you wear it on your wrist, it also has a thermometer which tells you a combination of body and air temp at the same time(not such a good feature).

What it offers is a altimeter that gives an accurate reliable reading, giving you a navigation check. Calibration is simple so you can make sure each day you get an accurate reading. You can work out how to use without the instructions (obviously if your a dude as we never read instructions or ask for directions).

At this price there is no excuse not to give yourself that extra bit of safety for mountain nav. Great bit of kit, and looks chunky and bad ass.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough watch and altimeter is perfectly useable if you understand its limitations, 20 Feb 2014
S31 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I picked this up to use when out walking and scrambling. I really only needed the timing functions, but fancied an altimeter so I could fool myself into thinking I'm a serious mountaineer.

All the watch functions appear to work fine as you'd expect from Casio - they've had the digital watch pretty much down since the eighties. My only criticism of it is that it's very large and as such not especially comfy. I have small wrists for a man and the large size means it doesn't sit well which in turn can lead to skin or clothes catching on protruding parts.

The altimeter is actually perfectly decent. I was worried by reviews that suggested it was useless. I can't compare it to a more expensive unit as I don't own one, but all barometric altimeters have the same limitations which I will attempt to explain now.

The altimeter works by measuring air pressure. Air pressure varies with altitude according to a well understood equation. However, this equation contains other things including temperature and humidity. There are also constant fluctuations in pressure at any particular location and altitude from day to day (this is what drives our weather). To get around this, the each allows you to calibrate it by telling it your altitude whenever you know it (at a summit or other landmark for example) and it then uses the change in pressure to calculate your change in altitude. The assumption here is that your altitude varies far quick than the humidity, temperature or weather. If you are skydiving this will be a pretty good assumption, if you are biking or walking and calibrating once a day or so it's not bad but might drift out. If you put the watch away, or wear it but never calibrate it and look at it once a week, then the humidity and weather are almost certain to have changed, so the altitude will be wrong. This isn't a fault, this is just what a barometric altimeter does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat stylish watch - Altimeter fairly accurate, 21 Jan 2013
This is a stylish watch and good value. I had a keen interest in the altimeter function when purchasing, having read mixed reviews from previous purchasers. The altimeter is accurate enough (to 10 meters or so) as long as it is reset the day you intend to measure, resetting only takes a couple of seconds. I live at about 70 metres height on a hill and work at street/sea level. When set at 70 metres in the morning, I find that it measures 10-15 metres at street level, which is fairly accurate, considering the street is elevated 10 meters or so. When measuring these small heights, one must remember that the altimeter only works in increments of 5 metres, it therefore cannot be totally accurate with small heights. On returning home, the altimeter reads 65-85 metres on average. Yes, I get the occasional -30 or +100 odd readings. Last week I traveled from Dublin to the French Alps, without resetting the altimeter before departure. On the slopes the next day, while waiting beside the chairlift, which was signposted as 1275 metres, I checked the watch altimeter and it read 1270 - surprisingly accurate. Down in the resort (at approx 1000 metres), the watch read it at 950-975, not bad. Whether it was the altitude or barometric pressures or whatever, my conclusion is that the altimeter is 'fairly' accurate, after you get used to it. Overall I like this watch, a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geat easy to use waltch with Alimeter, 8 Mar 2013
I own a hill walking company called Hilltoptreks in Ireland and am constantly out on the hills.
The main reason I got this watch was for the altimeter which I have found to be very easy to use and calibrate according to maps contours. excellent for having a better idea of where you are exactly on the hills.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality watch from a poor quality seller., 18 Dec 2014
Mr. T. Osborne "Terence Osborne" (Northumberland England) - See all my reviews
Then the battery died, I presume because of the over use of the display.
Now, in December, it's onto it's third battery and the sound has stopped working. Bearing in mind I bought a 5-alarm watch as a medication reminder, this feature was fairly important.

The rest of the features are very conjectural, and rarely offer any information of use.

I contacted the seller to sort out my problems, and they quite simply do not want to know about it.

To sum up, this watch is appalling, and the last Casio product I shall buy. The watch I replace it with will not be bought from this seller either. An utter waste of £50 that I could ill afford to spare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best digital watch for the money, 20 Mar 2014
I had an old version of this watch (over 15 years old) that I used to wear every day and then accidentally broke. I really wanted another watch with the temperature and altitude function, that was not too big and not too expensive. This watch really meets that requirement and then some. With 5 alarms, a count down timer, international city times and its waterproof and really robust. What more could you want. I really love it and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio watch, 30 July 2011
The watch is very light and comfortable, bought it for the desert conditions in Iraq, it works very well in the heat and dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bargain, 17 April 2012
£40 for this watch was an absolute steal. Have taken it on a skydiving trip to see how the altimeter works and measured it alongside one designed for the sport, this one works fine. Easy to use and to read in the dark, I would recommend buying while they are on offer.