5.0 out of 5 stars Even better
My guess is that if you are looking up this book it is because you are familliar with Scott Peck's work and particulary with The Road Less Travelled. The Road Less Travelled had a profound impact on me in my early twenties - as I know it did millions of other people. Further Along the Road is just as good, if not better.
I read it recently in my thirties and it...
Published on 2 May 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars More overt religious overtones
If like me you purchased this book because you found 'The Road Less Travelled' wonderfully insightful, be aware that this follow-up book has a slightly different tone to it. I was quite surprised by the quite heavy references to Christianity.

Published on 19 Oct 2009 by _wise_owl_

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better, 2 May 2000
By A Customer
I read it recently in my thirties and it felt like an extraordinarily wise and more mature book. I believe the man who wrote it, has grown in wisdom and maturity and he shares that here in a style which is, as always, clear, thought-provoking and above all affecting. I felt like I was in the presence of a real truth-seeker and a man who had come a good way down the Less Travelled Road himself, and was not afraid to admit his failings and pitfalls.
I might add that after the Road less Travelled I bought a number of other Scott Peck books ( A Different Drum, A World WAiting to Be Born, People of the Lie) and was usually disappointed. Further Along on the other hand is a seriously good book. Highly recommended for all seekers of wisdom.

4.0 out of 5 stars thoughtful heresy, 21 Jan 2006
By A Customer
For an lapsed christian like myself this book was the first to make me do a half turn towards the ideals of christianity again, and sort the concepts of Jesus from the misinformation that surrounds them. The four stages of psycho-spiritual growth are a psychological tool that can be applied to a host of organisations, countries and individuals, and are a valuable explanation into what thoughtful, intelligent people feel instinctively about religious institutions and teachings. Definitely a good book to read if you have been let down or confused by the religious doctrine of your birth. Life changing stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars More overt religious overtones, 19 Oct 2009

It's predecessor resonated with something inside of me mainly because it managed to find a path in between Christianity and non-denominational/non-religious spirituality. If like me you are searching for spiritual support from sources which appreciate atheism or agnosticism or if you question the benevolence of a 'god' rejecting the immediate justification that 'well, God moves in mysterious ways' - or if you practice other religions - then this book might not be for you. I found that because of this the book had a far less positive impact on me than the first. I do not feel that it added anymore to my learning or development. Instead it left me feeling slightly frustrated.

I appreciate that these are highly subjective comments - and they are no way intended to offend - but no other similar comments were made and so I felt it neccessary to share my experiences.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing follow-up, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: Further Along The Road Less Travelled: The Unending Journey Towards Spiritual Growth (Kindle Edition)
Like many people, I was drawn to this book because of the impact reading 'The Road Less Travelled' had on me.

This book is very disappointing, and somewhat misleading: what begins fairly soundly, as a continued exploration of the questions raised in the original book, becomes - by about half-way through - a discussion of psychology and spirituality as disciplines for understanding human experience, then proceeds to nothing more than propaganda for a re-evaluation of psychiatry in the US and a broadening of psychiatric terminology to encompass spiritual as well as 'purely psychological' realities.

As a former priest and psychotherapist, I do not necessarily disagree with the points Scott Peck makes, though I think he puts them narrowly and doesn't really explore the territory adequately to justify his proposals.

My greater criticism is that this is not what the reader is looking for - certainly not this reader. I was expecting a book, like the original, to help me reflect on myself, my growth, my spiritual life. What I get here is is a proposal aimed at psychological professionals.

Not good enough, when you're taking our money Dr Peck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts GREAT !!!, 22 April 2012
Tazz Rainbow (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I borrowed this book from a friend as I read a little of it and loved Scott's straight forward approach to life. He is very blunt and I loved the way he started this book, so straight, no messing, very honest and upfront about how life really is. It was a wonderful read. I very much recommend it for that reason.

Sadly about halfway through the book was ruined for me. He started talking about Jesus and God a lot. To me this is a book on spiritual ways of living and I really didn't want religion dragged into it too much. I can skim over the odd mention as I'm not against an author giving their beliefs, but as the book went on it felt like I was being preached to, and like Scott was trying desperately to win me over to Christianity. I don't want religion being brought into how I look at the world, but I was suddenly being told that it was up to God as to how my life would go. I don't appreciate being told that :)

I did not read the first book but was initially tempted to, however I am less tempted now :) I do recommend people read this book as it did bring up a few issues for me that I felt I need to deal with in order to make my life better. Had it not been for his blunt approach to life, I wouldn't have noticed them. I just really wish it hadn't ended the way it did.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only ever read one book make this that book, 26 Aug 2008
Daniel Storey "Book_Worm_Daniel" (Rochester, England) - See all my reviews
If I was only allowed to read one book in my lifetime this would the book I would choose.
Despite being a few years old now this book still offers a great insight to life and spiritually.
If you are struggling to find meaning or purpose in your life this book is for you.
The author talks about God and Reglion, blame and forgiveness , the meaning of death , sex and spirtually, Christianity and how it should and shouldn't be interrupted and offers an insight in to other cults and religious organizations teachings & believe system.
The author's writing style is clear and consite and doesn't get blogged down by jargan.
Towards the end of this book i started to slow down my reading i did'nt want it to end.
There are many people out their struggling for direction in their lifes , this book will act as a arrow and strart showing them the right way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as Good as the Different Drum, 10 Sep 2000
This is a great book and explains the nature of problems, love, grace, etc. I'd say that the Different Drum is a tiny bit better but I think you should read this first and then the Different Drum. I read this when I found it on my parent's table about a few months ago, when I was 14. Since then I have read Further along, DD and people of the lie plus many other books of this type. It is really inspiring and if every one of my age (or any age for that matter) read this, the world would become an extraordinary place.

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting hotch potch of opinion, 23 Oct 2013
Spilsbury (UK, Liverpool) - See all my reviews
Not Pecks classic. A broad mix of themes. He describes the sexual relations of man and God. The waning impact of Psychiatry on western thinking and stages of spiritual life. One of the most important arguments from this book is aimed at the psychiatric fraternity whom he exhorts to overcome their inherent timidity towards religion and spirituality expressed by their patients. This is of key importance and years later this issue has still be kept under the carpet. A byproduct of the split between and science and religion .

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as its predecessor, 28 April 2013
A. R. Fletcher (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this because the road less travelled was such a good book. However this follow up is much of the same and not really any more enlightening, not worth bothering with to be honest.

2.0 out of 5 stars what a shame, 16 Aug 2010
Having read and enjoyed (if thats the right word!) 'The road' I was looking forward to reading this book. As I read the book I found myself getting more and more disillusioned with his logic and arguments,and closing the book at the end I will never read it again. Maybe it's something to do with him becoming a Christian in the intervening time, but many of his arguments and propositions I found one sided and incomplete, almost like he was trying to re-write 'the road'to suit his new circumstances. I will still hold the original book dear, but this one goes to the Charity Shop!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›