5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of excitement in this book!
Published on 8 April 2006 by Dr J

3.0 out of 5 stars Seaflower continues the tradition
Published 19 months ago by J. Anckorn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of excitement in this book!, 8 April 2006
Dr J (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seaflower (Kydd 2) (Paperback)
Book three in the Kydd series (see my reviews of _Kydd: a Novel_ and Artemis) is very good. Kydd is slowly climbing the ladder, but sometimes falls a few rungs first. Lots of good action in this book. Good fighting, good adventure. This series has really grown on me. A few minor criticisms: sometimes I feel that there is not a good resolution to the episodes. All of a sudden, the action ends and problem solved. The transitions are too abrupt. I'd like to see more on how Kydd and crew get out of their predicaments. Also, I would strongly urge Mr. Stockwin to issue a dictionary (not of sea terms-we already have _Sea of Words_ ; see my review of that ) but of the dialogue. There are just too many words and phrases that the average reader (especially Americans) will not understand. Also, the dialogue is written in pronunciation spelling, and that takes some getting used to, especially for American readers who will not immediately recognize such spellings as 'er'(it means 'uh'). A dictionary is a must. However, the odd spellings add realism to the speech of the characters and I have come to appreciate it. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpe on the High Seas, 28 July 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The third book in a long running series that just seems to get better and better the characters keep growning and flowing with their ever expanding plot lines and movement into the ever larger arena of their times, as they and their careers / fortunes grow so do the scale and power of the troubles they encounter gone is the innocence to the plot a new origionality pervades the whole story and leaves the reader with a shanty lilt to their speech and a roll to their gait.

Having read the rest of the series and read the rest of the reviews i can tell others that Julian did learn and progress the characters even further, and when that was coupled with his obvious passion for the sea and all things nautical, you end up with a series that does rank up there with Forrester and O'Brian, every year i look forward to my new instalment of Kydd...but to get there you have to start at the beginning.

Well recommended

(Parm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seaflower (Thomas Kydd 3), 22 Jun. 2012
I was recently walking passed the Heart Foundation Charity Shop when I spotted in the window four books by Julian Stockwin and although never having heard of him from the covers assumed that it was a set about the period of 'Nelsons Navy,' and being ex Royal Navy myself I went in and bought them. When I got home I found that I had 1,2,4 & 5 of a set so I looked up Amazon for book 3 only to find there are 13 books in the set to date and having by this time got onto the second book had no hesitation on ordering the rest from Amazon as it is cheaper than paying the shelf price.Seaflower (Thomas Kydd 3)
Julian Stockwin is a master writer of the period not only of the conditions in the Royal Navy of the late 1700's, early 1800's but of the political situation of the times around the world. Also his descriptions of various ports in this country and around the world are spot on and to someone like me who travelled the world in the Royal Navy in the 50's & 60's a lot of the places were still recognisable.
The books are based on the fictional character Thomas Kydd who was pressed into the Royal Navy in 1793 and his rise through the ranks. The only way I can describe the series is that it is written as a fictional autobiography of Thomas Kydd set in historical facts of wars and intrigues of the period.
I conclude by quoting the book reviewer from the Independent Newspaper, "I was soon turning over the pages indecently fast." I second this as I am having to force myself to go to bed around 4am being on book six in five weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm absolutely hooked now..., 6 July 2010
N. Green - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seaflower (Kydd 2) (Paperback)
This third installment kept reminding me of O'Brian in two ways. The development between the key characters of Kydd and Renzi have a number of similarities between Aubrey and Maturin. The former being the go getting, inexperienced sailor racing up the promotion ladder, the latter's way being paved for the behind the scenes intelligence work.

The plot too has periods of intense action interspersed with quieter passages. At times I was half thinking, 'come on!!!', but the proof is in the pudding and as soon I put this down, I picked up Quartermaster.

Already I know that I'm going to feel tremendous disappointment when I finish Victory in a few weeks time and have to wait months for a further installment (if there is to be one after that).

5.0 out of 5 stars Kydd, 17 July 2013
A. Ward "Tony Cussler Fan" (Kent England) - See all my reviews
I Chose the 5 star Rating as it was a Book I didn't want to put down.
I dislike the Idea that you have Read the First Chapter from the Previous Book, so it seems as if you have missed a Chapter and at the end you Get an Introduction to the Next Book.
The Recommendation Goes out to All who like the days of Sailing Ships and How hard Life was then and you get taken into the Ship as Part of the Crew.
Good Read and the Ability to understand the Technical parts of the different Boats

5.0 out of 5 stars but Stockwin is in my opinion the best. 'You won't be able to put it down' ..., 23 Aug. 2014
Stockwin is the consummate writer of seafaring stories. I've read most of alexander Kent and other writers of this genre, but Stockwin is in my opinion the best. 'You won't be able to put it down' is the favourite phraseology .used by critics, but in Stockwin's case it is true - I've lost many hours sleep turning page after page of his books.

4.0 out of 5 stars From someone who has spent half a lifetime in small ships., 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Seaflower: Thomas Kydd 3 (Kindle Edition)
Light but compulsive, well researched about British navy life of the time. A bit "rose tinted" making for pleasant and untroubled reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seaflower continues the tradition, 13 Aug. 2013
J. Anckorn "Ferg" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seaflower: Thomas Kydd 3 (Kindle Edition)
If you like a "rattlin' good yarn" for the holidays, you will not be disappointed. A great work of literature its not, but Stockwin must have some good dictionaries - nautical and otherwise.......he uses some wonderfully obscure words and terms that lend sharp flavours to an otherwise rather thin mixture. As has been noted by others, Stockwin tends to build tense situations with care, but then seems to get tired of the episode and winds everything up with indecent haste. So, yes, the book is a proper page-turner, but the story moves on in great jerks and bounds and you cannot help feeling rather manipulated as a punter rather than cosseted as a valued reader. If you are looking for another CS Forester (Hornblower) you may be disappointed; so my advice is to enjoy it for what it is. Will I buy the next book? - avast, there lubbers and prepare t'board right smartly!

5.0 out of 5 stars A seaworthy tale, 4 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Seaflower (Kydd 2) (Hardcover)
.... Stockwin's style has already progressed - even mellowed - there is a contentment that the reader has with the main character, his situations and interactions with other characters. Also impressive is the way the story unfolds, this isn't cut and thrust boys own adventures, Kydd's adventures are new millennium stories for boys and girls (especially those over 30 yearts of age). Stockwin has found a new voice in an old genre; akin to Clint Eastwood and his very different stances on the Western! I like Kydd. I like Stockwin. I believe these books can also teach children - especially teenagers - something about history and that is very important. It is clear that Stockwin loves the sea, it is in his blood, unlike Forester who never sailed in his life. I give five stars and cringe, because what book is worth five stars nowadays? Read this one and find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rip roaring adventure, 18 Nov. 2011
Very well written account of the life of an 18th century seafarer in the genre of Alexander Kent. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›