Format: DVD|Change

on 14 August 2011
I found this film to be very watchable as I quite like political thrillers. I have no idea how accurate the story is but it made for 2 hours of entertainment. Sean Penn is engaging as ever even though his character isn't always likeable. Naomi Watts is also very convincing. The strength of the film lies in watching their lives ripped apart by the accusations aimed at them. You can genuinely feel their frustration as they become victims of a government propaganda machine. If you don't like politics or you disagree with what the film is trying to say then this is best avoided. If you believe it or you just like political thrillers then it's definitely worth watching.
on 24 December 2011
Doug Liman is a director whose work I enjoy and so his involvement was the main basis for me viewing this movie based upon the true story of ex-CIA operative Valerie Plame who is uncovered in the press by a White House source to discredit an article by her husband Joe Wilson. Although this movie has come out some years after the fact, what uncovers is a truly fascinating story, focusing as much on the political events as it does between the relationship between Valerie and Joe as events unfold. Of course, the movie is really only one side of the story, but that shouldn't take away from it's importance. As with most of Liman's work, the film is well edited and paced, and Naomi Watts and Sean Penn are great in the leads. The only downfall for me was the subplot with the Iraqi doctor which ended rather abruptly without any real closure apart from a final meeting between his sister and Valerie. The disc comes with a commentary by Valerie Plane and Joe Wilson, which is also worth a listen (and has been the first I have listened to in full for some time). Recommended. 4/5
on 28 February 2012
very good dvd great story line that holds you to the end a film that i would watch over again
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2011
"Fair Game" is not what you would call an exciting film, nor a nail biting thriller, however it is a worthy film that exposes the lies behind the second Gulf War against Iraq in the early "Noughties". The film is based on a true story where an important female CIA agent was exposed by White House officials after her ex diplomat husband wrote a newspaper article accusing the US government of lying about Iraq's nuclear weapons programme in order to justify the war against Saddam Hussein. The always excellent Naomi Watts (from the never to be forgotten "Mulholland Drive" ) plays the CIA agent while Sean Penn plays her husband. The film goes behind the scenes of CIA operations in the Middle East and reveals that there was no nuclear programme in Iraq and that the US and UK governments were aware of that , but told lies to the public nonetheless, something which I found to be unacceptable. In the US we had the Valerie Plame affair , while in the UK we saw the murder of David Kelly and "sexed up" dossiers to justify an unjustifiable war. Of course the public still mostly labour under the illusion that world leaders are somehow good and trustworthy and wouldn't engage in a sinister conspiracy against their own subjects.Better to adopt the maxim "If they're at the top, they're bad" instead in my opinion. As I said , "Fair Game" is not an exciting, action packed thriller; it is more like a documentary at times and it is a bit of a throwback to some 1970's political thrillers I can remember which had anti establishment themes.
on 11 March 2014
As a fan of Doug Limans previous work (the first bourne film) I gave this a go. It also helps I like Ms. Watts too. I recommend this film to anyone who appreciates a hearty good thriller. It's a wonderful showcase for Naomi and she does not disappoint. In fact there's not one bad performance in the entire cast. It's a thrilling watch. Tense and terrific and taut and brilliant film making. Pure brilliance really.
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2011
The Bourne-esque marketing for "Fair Game" doesn't do it any favours...this is a thought provoking movie that anyone with an interest in why we went into Iraq should see. I must confess I only half-remembered the controversy over the "yellow cake" intelligence and this movie helps explain why...giving a remarkable insight into the machinations of the White House machine and it's attempts to draw the focus away from the charge that they abused the intelligence for their own ends. Maybe I'm making it sound rather worthy but the human drama at the core is hugely compelling and Sean Penn gives a performance up there with his best. Oh...and Doug Liman manages to redeem himself after the dog's breakfast that was Mr and Mrs.Smith (so that's really saying something).
on 8 November 2015
I really enjoyed this and thought it was incredibly well acted out. I remember the matter hitting the press but have only recently studied a bit more avbout it. It is a terrible indictment on the US Government of the day - this woman's career was trashed for no other reason than a petty minded bunch of officials wanted to get even with her husband. A shameful episode.
on 1 March 2015
This heartbreaking political thriller, that adapts the book written by Valerie Plame Wilson herself [‘Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House’ | 2007], chronicles the abhorrent, treachery and deceit by the monkey who used to be at the white house, by his cronies and by his faithful poodle, Tony Blair, that lead a number of nations to the futile war on the hapless people of Iraq, and that destroyed the lives of millions of people, not to mention the mammoth, economic burden of it all.

Apart from that, the Whitehouse engineered, witch hunt which ensued decimated the professional and social life of two long serving patriots, the former diplomat Joseph C. Wilson and his wife Valerie Palme, a former CIA head of covert operations. Including the millions who demonstrated against the war, a majority of ordinary people the world over lost their faith in our political institutions as a result of this villainy. I couldn’t watch this film without my blood boiling to a level that was medically inadvisable, but I sat through it by sheer determination as to empathise with the two poor souls who, despite being forced into the gutter and reaching the breaking point of their loving marriage, stood steadfast to fight the tyranny of a select few.

The highly creative director, Doug Liman himself captures the movie in handheld takes through the first half and employs more even takes in the last half, thereby accentuating and differentiating between the thriller aspect from the painful drama that ensues. John Powell, the longstanding collaborator of Liman, composes a more reticent score as compared to his energetic, action movie soundtracks, which resonates well with the narrative of this movie.

A majority of reviews on this movie are not favourable, broadly pointing out that the film is ‘not deep and engaging enough‘. However, the fact that this film was made in the first place and that those who don’t read therefore get a chance to see the truth behind Bush administration should be sufficient for a good majority of law abiding and democratic citizens of the word to appreciate it. There should be a reason why any work of art is created, and that justification is variable from one creation to another. Films like this have to be made, whether or not the aim is to create a masterpiece. Compared to the millions Hollywood wastes on appalling crowd pleasers, this is a great film that I believe everyone should see.

BrownPolar
November, 2011
on 25 May 2011
'Fair Game' is a biographical drama movie that released in 2010 to positive reviews and broke even at the box-office. It is based on Valerie Plame's (Former US CIA Agent) memoir, Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House.

The film centres around the events surrounding a CIA agent Valerie Plame (Naomi Watts) who discovers that her identity is leaked to the media for political purposes. Her husband, Joseph C. Wilson (Sean Penn) then attempts to uncover the political cover-up as America begins to take action against Iraq who are allegedly in possession of Weapons of Mass Destruction.

The feature is an interesting watch because it's based on true events. Also the political/weapons of mass destruction angle is thought provoking. Then there are great performances from Sean Penn and Naomi Watts who save the film from mediocracy. Watts shines in the lead role but it's Penn who rises above everyone with a solid portrayal of a stubborn man with principles.

The movie was promoted as a political thriller which I was expecting, however turned out to be more of a slow-burning biographical drama. It was a bit disappointing. On watching the feature it's evident that the makers were unable to decide what route to take, thriller or a biopic drama.

The direction by Doug Liman is very good when you look at the acting of Penn and Watts. The overall movie is okay, he could've trimmed the duration of the film and worked on pivotal gripping moments of which were scarce.

Fans of Penn, Watts and political themed films, give it a try.

'Fair Game' for me is just Fair.
on 12 June 2013
This is a true story. I remember when this incident happened and how shocked I was . The movie is excellent and will keep you on the edge of your seat. this movie should be shown in schools especially in this age of whistle blowers.
I'm glad I have it on DVD; as soon as I finished watching it, I looked at the extras to see what they had. I thought I'd turn it on to have a look. What I got was the whole movie again with comments from the 'real people' of the story. I just couldn't stop watching. A very powerful and excellent movie.