4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas
This series has been on my radar for many years but for some reason I never got round to starting it.................oh, you foolish, foolish person! Turns out I've been missing a real treat.

Although the story is fairly standard fantasy stuff there are two things that really stand out;

1) The magic system, whereby people can be empowered by taking...
Published 18 months ago by Andy Angel

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing series
This first book is quite good and captures your imagination, however, after purchasing books 2; 3; 4; 5; 6 and 7 in the hopes that it would get better; I was/am sadly disappointed.

Published on 25 Feb 2011 by VanDragon

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing series, 25 Feb 2011

Things are just too jumbled and jump around far too much for my liking. Some concepts are new, which is refreshing in this day and age, but a lot of the time I found it too weird to follow and grasp fully.

I gave all of my books to my uncle who is an avid Terry Pratchett fan (I find Discworld books really weird) and he raved about Runelords...

So! I think David Farland is not a bad author, just an acquired taste.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas, 4 Jun 2013
Andy Angel (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sum of All Men: Book One of the Runelords (Kindle Edition)

1) The magic system, whereby people can be empowered by taking enhancements from people - making the person recieving the the enhancement more powerful but leaving the donor a wreck. At times this can be quite horrific or saddenning, depending on the situation, whether the enhancement is taken by force or freely given and as a plot device it is really well used.

2) The description of the world. Right from the very first page this land jumps off the page. It feels real and alive. For me, this makes a story all the more enjoyable.

All in all, quality storytelling and characterisation, set in a believable land - It took me a while to start this series but I'm really glad I did.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great start, nice idea, not that great, 9 Mar 2008
Most of the reviews here are spot on. The book starts with a bang, and the author has some interesting idea's, especially with his adding and subtracting of attributes. Its a clever twist that adds a good moral dilemma to magic power which is interesting. Sadly, however, the book gets a little lost and, for me, the main character does not convince. The biggest disappointment is how obviously he is setting this up for other books. Still, it is an interesting take on the genre and will appeal to certain readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sum of All Men, 28 Feb 2004
Glyn Hope (Oswestry, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I saw this book and thought "I'll try it", and I was very pleasantly surprised. A bit slow to start off with, but lots of excellent new ideas.
The characters were interesting and the plot very involving. Generally an excellent read. I found it hard to put down, and hated Raj Ahten!
Great new ideas too, like the endowments and the Earth Warden Binnesman. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 27 May 2014
Heather (Preston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed the whole series of thee books. Very well written and a great plot with a good idea expanded. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 28 Dec 2012
Was a really really good book. Would happily recommend this book and series, therefore people should read it. The series gets better each book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great beginning to a well written series, 25 Nov 2012
Great book which sets the stage for the books to come. Fast start slows slightly, but leaves you wanting more

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lucky FInd, 29 July 2014
My wife bought me books 5 - 8 without realising that they were part of a series. They looked at if they might be good, so I decided to download this book onto my Kindle and was hooked in the first few pages. I am now into the second of the series and thoroughly enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good start for a new Author, 15 May 2001
By A Customer
I quite enjoyed the book. Theres quite a few new ideas, and he's created his own creatures rather have, elves, Dwarfs and what nots. A Good change. I like the Wit, Stamina, Metabolism, grace etc. I've just received book 2 of the series today.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 17 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This book is a very good read and a found I could not put it down (I finished it in 2 days). The reason I only gave the book 4 stars was the charcters with many endowmwnts were just too powerful compared to normal people and as such this work cannot comare with the best of this genre such as Geogre r r Martin. However the idea of endowmwnts is new and but for this small flaw works very well.This book is well worth the time to read and I cannot wait to read the second installment.