I bought these headphones about a year ago to use at college where I'm studying sound engineering.

I will start off by mentioning my few problems with them, most of which have been mentioned by other reviewers.

Published on 15 Oct 2010 by Will

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, if they weren't so flimsy.
Published on 5 May 2011 by Guy Incognito

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, possibly a bit heavy in the low freq. for professional use., 15 Oct 2010
Will (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 202 Closed Back On-Ear Stereo Headphone (Electronics)

They are bass heavy. For most modern music, especially the dance genre's, these headphones will give you almost exactly the sound you want. However if you're planning on using these in a professional environment, working with more classical, or acoustic music you will need to keep an eye on how much bass you're rolling off.

The cord. All three metres of it. I don't think I've come across a cable that loves to get it self tangled more often in my life. Also, if you're working in a room with other people, you need to keep an eye on where all that excess is (I have had to extricate mine from the wheels of chairs in college's IT suites more than once). Finally such a long cable is hardly ideal for use while on the move. Yes, it comes with a storage reel, however this is slightly bulky, and if you're anything like me, it will have disappeared within a few weeks.

Finally, the ear pads. While these are comfy, in my experience after an hour or two of use they do begin to make the area around your ears feel warm and a bit sweaty.

Now onto the good points.

Despite their strength in the low frequencies, they also give an excellent representation of those mid and high frequencies. They are a bit limited, in so far as their frequency response tops out at about 17kHz, but most people by their mid twenties are struggling to hear that high anyway, and it is very unusual to get instruments playing that high (without taking into account harmonics).

The cord. As much as in my circumstances i dislike its length, it has proven useful even for me. If you are planning on using these at home, it gives you an awful lot of freedom for a wired pair of headphones. I have found the length just about ideal for lying in bed watching tele with these on (my tele being about 80cm beyond the foot of my bed). If there's no-one likely to be around to get themselves tangled in the wire, then again, these will probably be ideal. If you're going to be using them near wheeled chairs, I would be making a point of keeping hold of that cable-tidy device though.

The noise-cancellation. I can think of only one way to describe it: brilliant. Just putting these things on makes everything so much quieter, but when you start piping in some music you're going to want to learn sign language. Short of the noisiest environments (for example the middle of a building site), with some music gently coming in, you're not going to hear a thing from the outside world. On more than one occasion while I've been listening to music on these, I've not even realised my tutor's are actually speaking.

The power. I'm not a fan of overly loud music, but when mixing I've found its useful to listen to tracks really loud, and really quietly. On the times I've wanted to listen loudly, the HD-202's have definitely delivered. While at average levels, and on your head these things are not audible to the guy sitting next to you, when you choose to give them some oomph, they can be heard across a room. On contrast, when listening really quietly, these have also delivered flawlessly. Another advantage of the noise cancellation mentioned above; you can keep your ears safe, and still appreciate your music on the bus/train.

The durability. As I mentioned earlier, I have had these around about a year. During that year they have suffered quite an amount of abuse. They've been thrown in and out of my college bag, been on a trip to Den Helder in Holland, Fuerteventura and been repeatedly dropped on the floor once I've finished with them at night. All thats happened to them until very recently, is one of the 'phones' themselves has fallen off the headband on maybe 3 occasions. On those occasions it's just snapped back on, and been fine. Recently I've had an issue with the right headphone cutting out if the wire is twisted slightly the wrong way. Frankly, I feel that this is to be expected with the amount of torture they've endured over the last year, and is almost definitely the result of mis-treatment on my part. The build quality is really rather quite good, especially for the price!

The conclusion:
If you're looking at a pair of headphones for music production, or just because you've realised how bad in-ear earphones generally are (not to mention the ill-effects on your hearing), these are an excellent buy. At the time of writing I think these are priced around the 28 margin. More than I paid, but still worth it in my opinion. I am going to be looking at something higher in the range in the near future, but as a first stop into headphones, or as an upgrade from headphones like skull-candy's which are not designed to provide the high quality demanded by industry, these are an excellent choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, for the price, 12 Sep 2010
I mean, come on, 15 for a set of Sennheisers?! Has to be too good to be true.

Nope, it's real! These really are simply fantastic headphones. Sure, the audiophiles might have a bit to complain about because of the accentuated bass which has the possibility of slightly reducing midrange during quieter songs, but this is very rare. The trebles are crisp and clear, mid range isn't drowned out and the bass is thick and warm.

I've read a lot of reviews about these being uncomfortable to wear, but I've had them on for 5+ hours at a time and never experienced any real discomfort. Their curved shape also makes them sit around your neck snugly when they aren't in use, to the point that it's easy to forget you're wearing them. Also, the ball and socket mechanism that holds the ear cups in place means that it's difficult to break them, they just slot back onto the headband with no real effort.

The headphone lead is very long, but it comes with a handy little headphone-tidyer-upper thing so that's not a problem at all. The headphones also come with a 3.5mm jack to a larger jack (5.5mm possibly), which was a nice surprise.

All in all, these headphones are superb. Definitely worth three times what I paid for them. Sure, the lead is long and they aren't exactly discreet, but who cares?! Fantastic audio quality for pocket change. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, if they weren't so flimsy., 5 May 2011
As a London commuter, they're perfect- even if you're not playing anything through them they can block out screeching brakes on the Tube, annoying tinny tunes from mobiles belonging to the kids at the back of a bus, an overcrowded Liverpool St station...the list goes on. What's more, they don't leak noise out either, so you're in your own world, which makes any journey far more bearable. And what's more, they sound terrific. After years of shoddy bass response on headphones, these deliver the goods.

But I'm on my fourth pair of these headphone in three years for the simple reason that the connecting cable are flimsy at best. On two of my previous three pairs, a small amount of stress or stretch where part of the (slightly overlong) wire was trapped in something or got pulled by accident caused the headphones to stop working. Obviously this isn't intentional, but things like this happen and it's annoying to have to shell out for a new pair when there must surely be a way of improving the cable protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for the price!!!!!, 21 July 2010
Mr. M. Turner "Matt_1982" (England) - See all my reviews
I ordered these to use with the iphone and ipod as I wanted better sound but did not want everyone to here it as well. What can I say the difference from the standard in ear apple ear phones is unbelievable. You can here the bass, mid and treble. They block out all outside noise and, as they are closed back, you do not disturb anyone else!!!! Cannot recommend these enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Headphones, 14 July 2010
Decided to upgrade my ipod headphones and was very pleased with these. They sound natural and warm and are comfortable to wear. The lead is quite long but comes with a free winder to accomodate it.

The only slight snag was the manufacturers packaging as took ages to get inside, but was worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 Aug 2010
Got these headphones to replace some sony earphones. They were good earphones, but the difference between the quality of those and the sennheiser headphones is incredible!
You can hear bass mid and treble very clearly and I constantly notice things in songs I couldn't hear with other headphones, they constantly surprise me with their quality.
I've used these very regularly for over 2 years, they've been constantly on the move, shoved into bags, suitcases, car boots, even had a small filing cabinet accidently dropped on them, without even a scratch or slight drop in quality.
Perfect for everyday use, and very handy on long haul flights as movies and music can be heard a lot more clearly, and they block out enough noise to help you sleep even if nothing's playing! Only complaints are that the cable can become annoying as it's very long but as mentioned in another review, they are available with cable winders, and also I have had some slight ear-ache after about 5 hours of continuous use, but the incredible sound quality and buildquality more than make up for these minor defects. Five stars, fully recommend for music, TV, flights, great value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 3 Sep 2010
Ok, Recently Ive been using Sony MDR headphones. There great but i randomly decided to upgrade to a pair of Sennheisers because i knew how highly rated they were. I was expecting high standards even though the price was low. My expectations were certainly met...
The Bass is very clear without being over powering and treble and Mid is perfectly balanced.
I would go as far as to compare them with a pair of 250 Bose headphone i listened to in an iPod store.
Great product. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars really impressive, actually, 18 Nov 2010
Considering the price these headphones are really very good.

First thing, they look the business and they feel really well constructed. These you can use everyday and they won't fall apart in your hands.

Next thing, they are comfortable. There is plenty of padding around the ears and on the headband. The headband also has several centimetres of adjustablity so you can fit them really well to your head. You can wear these for hours in relative comfort.

Most importantly, they sound good. Particularly the bass, which is really punchy and responsive. I very much doubt you'll find better sound quality for this price. I certainly wasn't disappointed.

These headphones will keep the sound in your ears, that is to say there is very little sound leakage so you don't need to worry about pissing off the person next to you on the train.

Last thing, these are quite versatile. The cord is pretty long which is useful for use with your home stereo, but the product is supplied with a handy clip which you can wrap the cord around. This way you can make the cord shorter for use which an mp3 player. Overall a very good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!, 17 Aug 2010
The best headphones I have ever had! Much better build than the skullcandys. The sound in these is unbelievable it's so loud and clear. I would recommend to anybody that want's to listen to music. I am 13 and enjoy listening to music all the time and I am just trying to get people not to buy skullcandys because of there bad build. Thank you for reading but please do buy :D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser HD202, 12 Nov 2010
Overall, an outstanding product with probably the best value for money to be found for the following reasons:

-Bass reproduction was fantastic
-They are very durable and hard wearing
-They are comfortable
-They can be adjusted easily
-The cord take up is very useful, getting rid of the large cable problem

A definite buy