5.0 out of 5 stars First Class DVD/VHS/HDD Combination
Published on 12 July 2012 by Techman-st

2.0 out of 5 stars IT'S A MONSTER!!
I suppose it does what it says on the tin, but as said before by other reviewers - the manual is RUBBISH. I had to go through 2 advisers to get it going - I've NEVER come across a handset with a Helpline on it before, but no wonder!!
Published on 16 April 2011 by Caz B

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class DVD/VHS/HDD Combination, 12 July 2012
Techman-st - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Toshiba RDXV60 3-in-1 DVD, HDD and VHS Recorder (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I purchase this DVD/VHS/HDD 3 in 1 to replace my old equipment when we decided to do a full room make over and purchase a new Toshiba Led TV. I originally had a separate DVD player, a separate VHS recorder and a separate DVD recorder, I decided to purchase the Toshiba RDXV60 to match with the LED TV. One of the advantages of the unit is it's ability to receive freeview+ programs that allow you to freeze live TV when someone calls or when you want to get a cup of tea or a drink, although I have virgin cable TV with HD I have found that the RDXV60 is ever bit as good if not better than the quality reception of the cable HD digital broadcast. The added advantage is the fact that I have only the RDXV60 and the cable box and I have gone from a large entertainment unit to a neat smaller unit that does not take up half the room.

I have found the RDXV60 to be a trouble free and very high quality piece of technology, as I have been using it for about a year now and apart from the initial learning curve there have been no problems at all. The control interface is very simple and the timer control is so easy that once you get the hang of it you have very little problems. The majority of the time I just record directly to the 320GB HD (hard disk) which is virtually one button recording and if I find that I wish to keep a copy of the recording I can make a copy to the DVD recorder. When programming to record you can select the quality of the recording that you require i.e. XP, SP, LP, EP and SLP these have a significant effect on the space you use for recording and what space remains for future recording. When I first started using the Hard Disc for recording I always used it in the XP, but I soon found that this reduced the amount that I could record on the HD, I eventually found that recording with SP saved a lot of disc space, but also the quality of the recording was just as good, now I only use SP unless I want additional high quality to save on the HD and then transfer from the HD to the DVD recorder.

One of the main reasons that I opted for a unit containing a VHS player/recorder was to be able watch and to save original VHS recordings and transfer them to the HD in XP then save them to the DVD also the ability to reproduce family video is an added bonus. With the RDXV60 you can copy directly from VHS to either DVD or the hard disk, but as I have stated I prefer to copy directly to the HD in XP high quality then to the DVD in XP, by doing this you are copying at the highest quality with no loss whatsoever of any resolution.

Another advantage of the RDXV60 is the ability to record directly to the HD or VHS from any source while watching a DVD, although I don't think that I will ever use the VHS record facility of the unit due to the method of recording to tape as DVD and HD recording is far superior. The DVD player will also upscale a normal DVD quality to the 1080 resolution and so far I have not come across any DVD that the player will not play, unlike my original DVD recorder or player that often would not play a borrowed or rented DVD for no apparent reason.

I have found the RDXV60 to be first class offering very high quality output at a very reasonable price, I can only go on my experience, but I would recommend the unit to anyone who is in the market for a very good quality DVD/VHS/HDD recorder, highly recommended at a very reasonable price.

I have updated this review to include the following details, I have now used the RDXV60 for 18 months or so now and have used quite a proportion of the functions that the machine has to offer, I have found that the editing functions are very simple to use, but also the results are spot on. Recently I actually ran out of space on my HDD and looked through what was recorded, I was amazed to find that there were over a 120 programs recorded, so I decided to record some of the series that I had recorded to DVD. I found that editing the programs to remove the adverts and breaks was very straightforward and the results were seamless, I then would record them to DVD and finalise them. The programs that have been recorded to DVD are as good in every way to the original recording on the HDD, but please note that the recording quality that I used was always SP (Standard Play), you can if you wish use an extended method of recording, but be warned the more you expand the recording time of a DVD the lower the quality of the video and sound results, but this depends on your own individual needs, see page 28 of the manual. I suggest that if you are going to record a program or a series of programs, you firstly record a sample program to the DVD, then compare it to the program that you have recorded from on the HDD before committing yourself to the recording time. I have found that the best quality to record programs to the HDD is SP, and likewise to transfer them to a DVD. Initially I was recording everything in XP which is the best quality, but I found that this halved the capacity of the HDD and also the DVD, I reserve XP when I am transferring a VHS onto the HDD, but I then use XP to save the the recording onto a DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars A machine that does what it promises, 16 Aug 2010
J. Lamede "jlamede" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This was a replacement for an earlier model bought from Amazon which broke down within five months but was replaced with remarkable efficiency, courtesy and speed. (Let's hope the new one doesn't go the same way.) I need it as a temporary recorder for TV progammes, and as a means of dubbing those programmes and an old library of tapes to DVD. To date it has done all these things very well. The massive hard drive should suffice to record as many and as much as I could possibly need. Its only drawbacks are that the dubbing from VCR has to be done in real time (e.g. a two-hour programme will take two hours to dub) and, peculiarly, once you have programmed the recording of a TV show, the drive goes into a rather noisy standby state until the recording is done. All the same, dubbing from HDD to DVD can be done at 'High' speed, taking about one-eighth of full running time, and works very smoothly.

4.0 out of 5 stars All-in-one at reaonable price., 30 Aug 2010
katie33 (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought this as a gift for my parents. Fairly easy to set up, but I reckon it would be a bit more complicated for technophobes. Good value for money as there are multi recording formats that are easily identifiable with colour coding. Also great for updating old VHS tapes into more enduring formats. The picture quality is as good as a terrestrial aerial provides, but dvd pictures are sharp and even old VHS recordings look better than expected. Good all-in-one unit that saves on the hassle and mess of multiple cable connections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five star - except fpr the manual, 7 Aug 2010
I had a head start with this one as I previously owned the RDV48, which my daughter 'borrowed' when her Phillips recorder player broke down. As with daughters, the borrowing became permanent !!!
The RDVX60 is a few steps up from the 48 and it really is an excellent machine. It's a bit quirky with the constant need to verify your decisions. The term are you sure will become second nature to you. Better this way than mis hit a key and lose data.
The addition of the USB input is the icing on the cake as I can use my key fob 8Gb memcard to 'transport' picture and music files from my daughters PC/camera without the need to burn a disc.
The only downside is that damn manual. It does what it says but you need to interpret it clearly, but as I said at the beginning I had a head start with it's predecessors users guide.
My grandaughters have great fun recording their WII and PS3 movements to DVD through the various I/Ps, why I don't know but that's kids for you.
All in all I would fecommend this to anyone who wants a good DVD/VHS/recorder/player with a mass of functionality and features. I have started transferring my old VHS tapes to DVD at last and the one touch/walk away until it's done facility suits me fine.
The 320 GB hard disc is a bit OTT as I doubt I will fill that up in my lifetime. On the RDVX48 I actually recorded the entire last series of Robin of Sherwood in Hi def and had bags of space left. God only knows what to do with the extra capacity.
Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 19 Nov 2010
Very easy to record TV programmes on the Hard Drive. Great editing features. This was a gift from our daughter to transfer all our old holiday VCR tapes to DVD. It does an excellent job and is very easy to use. Very pleased with the product. The first one we received had a faulty DVD tray which would not open. Advised Amazon on the Friday evening and received a replacement on the Monday. Brilliant service.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, 29 Oct 2010
An excellent product and very easy to use .An invaluable piece of kit to restore videos to DVD ( Not videos which are copywrited ) .Record freeview and very useful HDD of 320gb.
John

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but broke down, 18 Aug 2010
T. J. Smtih (UK) - See all my reviews
I taught myself to use this machine, and found that it was excellent. Good to be able to record onto hard drive, also good to be able to connect a usb flash drive to look at photos. However, after seven months it packed in completely, and I have just sent ift back to Amazon. I'm a bit afraid to buy the same again in case the next one broke down out of warranty. By the way, the return of the machine to Amazon was brilliant, via DHL. Very speedy and efficent. But that's not the point; who wants to use the return service anyway!

Terry Smith.

5.0 out of 5 stars The guides are awful, the player is amazing, 23 Oct 2010
I have a very lazy approach to technology and really just wanted something that will allow me to continue taping things off tv , watch the occasional DVD and to view Freeview channels without using a separate digibox. So it was with a heavy heart that I unwrapped this large but sleekly designed machine and took a first look at the instructions.

As is so often the case, the 'Quick Setup Guide' is next to useless if you are not already familiar with how this type of technology works. The bulky 'Owner's Manual', however, is an impenetrable mass of diagrams and technical terms. After half an hour struggling to get the thing working, I abandoned the guide and tried guesswork instead.

I found it makes things much easier to identify the basic functions on the remote (ie which button do I press to get DVD), try playing DVDs and tapes etc first. Once I'd become comfortable with that, I then looked at specific sections in the owner's manual for the more technical areas like how to record using the hard drive.

The dvds look fantastically detailed, my old videos play perfectly and - best of all - recording via the hard drive is incredibly easy. I'm still unlikely to bother discovering the myriad functions of this machine but as a space saving combination of dvd, video, digibox and hard drive this is a real winner.

2.0 out of 5 stars IT'S A MONSTER!!, 16 April 2011
It's a bully too - everytime it starts recording, my TV switches over to THAT prog!! and it's so slow when switching it on - clunk, click!
And like something out of the Ark, it will only video what you are watching.
It can't multi task - it has ALL these features, but if it is recording, it won't let me set a prog to record at another time.
It's saving grace, is that it has a great HD to record onto. I can set a week's worth of recordings in one go.
I've yet to record onto DVD, or transfer my old videos to DVD, and if it works well, and I don't need the Helpline, it may go up a star!!
Caz.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money on this!, 7 Oct 2011
We have had 3 of these now. The first one kept switching itself off at random and when playing back from the hard drive sometimes it flashed and crackled so it was returned to Amazon and replaced with another. The second one would not play vhs tapes clearly or quietly so we bought a vhs head cleaner from Amazon which promptly jammed in the machine. Again this was returned to Amazon who gave us a full refund. We decided (wrongly) to buy another thinking that surely we couldn't have trouble with a third one. Wrong! Unfortunately Amazon didn't have any in stock so we bought the final one from Dixons. Again it started to turn itself off at random whether we were playing or recording, it didn't matter. Once again we wanted to return the item but Dixons only offer repair not refund. It was duly sent to be repaired. We got it back after a month but it wouldn't tune in at all so back it went again. It has now been 'under repair' for 3 months. It should be returned tomorrow but we haven't any confidence in it working properly now. How we wish we had bought Panasonic from Amazon!
Just an update. Within half an hour of the unit being returned to us yesterday, a video tape promptly got stuck half way in and no matter what we do it will not go either in or out. As the unit again refuses to turn on it is once again, useless.