5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect solution
A great piece of kit! I am well pleased with it. The bonus is a quality freeview receiver which has given new life to an old analogue flat screen TV.
A discerning buyer, I did my research on VHS to DVD recorders. My priorities being; Price, Functionality and Simplicity.
Published on 14 May 2011 by Mr. Brierley D. Stubbs

1.0 out of 5 stars twice bitten, twice returned..
Published on 30 Sept. 2010 by richard sinnett

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect solution, 14 May 2011
Mr. Brierley D. Stubbs "Brierley Stubbs" (Sale, Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba DVR20 Digital DVD Recorder and VCR with Freeview (Electronics)
I made my selection having read the other customer reviews here, so thanks to them for posting.
I am of average techy savvy I think. After taking care to follow the instructions, it is now quite simple to operate and not complicated as I expected. Unlike other comments, I find the instruction book both simple and comprehensive.
Dubbing is indeed at the press of a button. I am now busy transferring those cherrished home videos of upto 25 years ago before they are lost!
The simple title edit menu makes it easy to navigate the disc looking for a specific scene. With VHS this involved laborious fast forward/rewind of tape which takes its toll on the media and mechanism. PLUS I can watch on my laptop and send via email, upload to websites etc. Welcome to the digital age!

5.0 out of 5 stars Retrieving some space, 13 Sept. 2010
I had pondered for some time on buying a VHS to DVD recorder so that I could gain back some space consumed by a myriad of old VHS tapes.
Often one can only go by the information written on a web page which is not always enough. Being a woman that fortunately does understand a reasonable level of technical things I do like to know what I'm getting for my money.

The Toshiba DVR20 does exactly what I wanted but it also can do it in reverse - it is able not only to copy VHS to DVD it can also copy DVD to VHS and the operation for either is extremely simple. It comes with many connection possibilities including full HDMI suppport up to 1080P, a good Freeview tuner plus several other useful features. My only small criticism is that if a VHS or DVD is already in it when you turn it on, it will load the menu for that which can be a little annoying if you only wish to watch TV via the machine - pressing stop does return you to the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 12 Aug. 2010
will keep this short - bought this as I had old VHS videos that I wanted transferring to DVD. This is a very good machine, whilst not outstanding does exactly what it was bought for. Good build quality, good VHS playback, excellent dubbing to DVD.

Better than buying software for your computer which is reliant on your computer specs to produce a good recording.

Recommend it. Oh and the freeview is good quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars twice bitten, twice returned.., 30 Sept. 2010
Extraordinary as it sounds, what appeared to be a well-regarded and reviewed item turned out to be a huge disappointment that cost me a good deal of time and trouble. It was only the super-fast efficiency of the Amazon returns system that saved the day, as I had to return my DVR20 TWICE. On the first occasion, all seemed well until I tried the VHS tape part of the machine, only to find that the eject mechanism didn't work, and despite whirring noises, kept my tape prisoner. It took considerable ingenuity to get it out again. I tried it with several different tapes to make sure it wasn't the tape itself that was the problem, but the same thing happened over again. I returned the machine, pretty disgruntled, and had a replacement sent out (very promptly, I might add). It was with disbelief that I found exactly the same fault with the new machine..a faulty tape eject mechanism!!By now I was really cheesed-off with all the messing about and hassle with a brand new product.I returned it again, this time asking for a refund, which again Amazon dealt with very promptly, thank God.
My question remains...how can a reputable manufacturer of supposed quality electronics put stuff on to the market that has clearly failed to be checked? Two machines with a fundamental repeated fault suggests Toshiba should have a close look at their quality control! I for one will not be touching a Toshiba appliance again..

5.0 out of 5 stars A DVD/VCR Combo easy to operate, 18 Aug. 2010
Mr. G. Diggle (Blackpool) - See all my reviews
This Toshiba product is easy to install and operate. Copying Video Cassette to DVD or DVD to Video Cassette is a very simple operation. Also recording programmes via Freeview or from a Sky HD box is easy. Playback from all recordings is crisp and clear. At the price paid it is excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 28 July 2010
B. C. Swinbank "barry" (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm giving this unit top marks. I was looking for a DVD/VHS recorder, but then I thought save some money just get a DVD recorder. When I looked around there wasn't alot to pick from below £200.00 with good reviews. I already had TOSHIBA DVD player which I was very happy with.I ordered the DVR20 after reading reviews for the older version .
Well the unit is big - we are talking Ferguson Videostar - which frankly was a shock. It replaced a freeplayer/dvd player and a VHS recorder, but not a lot of space gained.
The handbook is all in English and is about 50 pages -(its 79!).It takes a bit of reading, but you have to pick the bits you need - which in the end comes down to about 5-6 pages.
Unit sets up easily and freeview works fine.
The handset is 'very busy' and some of the buttons - which are small - could be better grouped, you do end up hunting around a bit.
I practised on a DVD +RW disk a few times - then recorded some old VHS tapes on a +R - no trouble. Maybe I'm stupid I didn't get how to change the recording times on the DVD - once you display a running time keep pressing the button and it changes.
All give a good picture except for the longest - 8 hours, which is a weak vhs quality and I wouldn't use.
Being Toshiba it's a quality item-also region 2 only-does that bother me-no- just buy a cheap (£20.00) no brand player, link it up to you TV, if you have a spare input- problem solved.
Just in case it matters, there are 2 scart sockets on the back- Amazons page seems to say 'A' scart socket.(see update below)

UPDATE - 11/08/2010
If you want to record from another dvd player or video camera you need to connect to the second scart socket - if you have jack plugs you will have to get an adaptor. Then on the remote keep pressing button 2 input/select it will show analog/digital and on the next one, use button 21 to go up or down until you get AV2 that should show you the video camera picture-press record and your away. That covers all my needs with the machine - Still happy with it - it's still big - and I still have to refer to my selected notes each time I use it!

4.0 out of 5 stars dvd/vcr recorder+freeview, 15 Aug. 2010
This was purchased primarily to transfer videos to dvd and also to be able to tape from a new digital tv.
Set up was ok once we got past the problem of it not doing it automatically(which it should have), but when done manually it then found all the available channels very quickly. It is relatively easy to operate, the manual is VERY conprehensive and will take a bit of reading, but there is a quick start sheet for the initial set up.
As it has its own freeview built in, it also means that we can watch one channel and tape another, something we couldn't do with a digi-box and tv package or on the new tv(which has built in freeview)and an ordinary vcr, so this is a huge plus.
We have tried playback and taping on both DVD and VCR and also taping video to DVD and all work well. It will be some time before we use all the functions ( some may never be used, eg music playback), but it it great for our purposes and the options are there if we want to use them in the future .
My only niggle is the size of the buttons on the handset. Because it is a "one handset does all" type, the buttons are extremely small, particularly for my father whose eye sight isn't the best, don't know if there's a solution but just a comment.
Otherwise, does exactly what it says on the tin and we are very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba DVR20, 28 Aug. 2010
Easy to set up and use. I would certainly recommend this machine for all those who are technically challenged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba DVR 20 DVD/VCR Recorder with Freeview, 31 July 2011
This replaced the previous Toshiba DVD/VCR Recorder which gave me good service for 6 years.
This model can record Freeview channels, which the previous model could'nt.
Its very easy to set up for recording, but one must be careful not to press the STTL button, as this brings up the sub-title menu, which can be annoying on recordings.
Very satisfied with my purchase and would recommend this to anybody.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver, but..., 21 Jan. 2011
T. Clark "Berean" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine for one purpose only - to get all my old camcorder VHS transferred to digital media. In this task the machine has outperformed all my expectations in terms of both quality, consistency and ease of use. I successfully transferred about 50hrs worth of family history (going back to the mid-eighties) from badly degrading VHS tapes to DVD without a hitch.

However the machine really is a monster, both in size and operation - The control menus look like something you might have seen in the early '90s. The instruction manual is very comprehensive but may also seem quite complicated to non-technophiles. It also utilises "Engrish" quite liberally throughout, which makes for an amusing read.

I have not experienced any of the other issues mentioned by other reviewers nor have I really used many of the other features. But if you want to transfer VHS to DVD I cannot think of a more useful device. The best endorsement I can give is that now I have finished copying my tapes everyone else wants to borrow it.

Toshiba DVR20 Digital DVD Recorder and VCR with Freeview