on 16 August 2010
I have been deliberating for some time about buying a food processor as I already have the Kmix food mixer.
However, making pastry with the Kmix is quite messy and takes some time (constantly using spatula to scrape the sides etc). The Magimix also has a dough blade which in conjunction with the large bowl(there are 3 sizes) brings together the dough in about 20 seconds - AMAZING. All you then do is remove lid and pick up the dough ball.

I also used the small bowl to make breadcrumbs for a treacle tart- and this was also speedy and gave a perfect result.

Magimix comes with a useful storage box and a reasonable number of additional blades.

I have absolutely no regrets about buying this and now wonder whether I will get much use out of my Kmix...
0Comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2012
Bought this as a replacement for our previous 20+ year old Magimix, which suffered from a broken dough hook after long service, and on discovering replacement dough hooks for the old model no longer available. This machine is a lot more complicated than the old one, as it has three bowls of different sizes (the old one had just one). Have discovered the benefits of the small bowl though (e.g. much more effective at dealing with small quantities such as some onion and ginger for a curry base). With the old machine these would have stuck to the outside of the bowl after rough chopping and would need to scraped down several times before they were finely enough chopped. This does not happen in the small bowl of the new machine. Have not experienced the problem mentioned by others with the use of the small bowl making all the bowls dirty. Our machine seems to keep the contents of the small bowl in the small bowl, so you only need to clean that, the blade and of course the lid. I have to agree the bowls look a little more flimsy than the one on the old machine, but OK so far.
on 13 January 2011
Well-designed and constructed, robust, quiet, easy to clean, all parts except the motor housing will dishwash. Long guarantee. Cutting edges all extremely sharp and can be sharpened and will slice unpromising things like less than firm tomatoes for example. Broadens cooking repetoire as it's easy to blend, slice and mix, so gratin dauphinoise or tarte tatin with lots of tedious fine slicing is easy. Also batches of pastry can be whizzed up quickly, e.g. four batches for mince pies recently and prepping veg for, say, colslaw, is actually fun. 4200 model is fine for family of 4. Downside, very heavy so mine looms on worktop rather than being put away in a upboard. The large bowl and lid take up lots of dishwasher space (but both are easily hand washed) and the supplied, very French, recipe book is a little brief.
on 23 September 2012
I carefully read very many reviews for a lot of food processors before I made my choice of purchasing a Magimix 18426 4200.

I was going to go for a cheaper option of food processor before I read the reviews! It became very obvious that 'you get what you pay' for, so I reviewed my budget, did a lot of thinking and eventually decided that the Magimix 18426 4200 was the clear option for me.

I chose this model for several reasons:

a) Amazon's pricing meant that I could afford 'the next model up' to the one I had been initially considering, which was excellent for me, because I wanted the model with the biggest bowl I could afford. (Thank you Amazon!)

b) Bowl size was important to me, due to the amount of cooking I do.

c) Magimix had consistently excellent reviews - always a good sign! And this make is also recommended by Delia Smith which also holds some weight with me, as I respect her as a cook.

Some things about this model were not immediately obvious to me, but on receiving and using the food processor, here are my thoughts...

a) The 'plunger' to the feed tube is also a measuring cup - very useful!

b) You get alightly different attachments depending on the model. So if the attachments are important to you, read the descriptions of each model carefully. (My main concerns were bowl size and motor quality and longevity. As I knew I would get the slicers/graters/knives and dough hook as standard, I wasn't too worried about the extra attachments. If you are - read carefully)

c) The actual height of this model is a bit taller than stated in the description. I measured this carefully, due to the lower-than-average gap between my work top and the bottom of my wall cupboards and thought I had a good 3-4 cm to spare. In fact, this model slides underneath with only a couple of millimetres to spare.

d) I haven't had much success with cakes. I do more scraping down and moving around of the mix than I would like, considering the machine is supposed to be doing the work!, and the mixes don't seem to get enough air in. But as I don't make many cakes, I'm not too worried about this.

e) I do a lot of chopping, slicing and grating of fruit, veg and cheese etc and it goes like a dream. For example, literally seconds, after initial prep (wash, trim ends), to slice over 3lbs rhubarb for jam. Wonderful! My veg/fruit prep time has been cut by a clear 95%, easily.

In conclusion, I love my Magimix, it's useful, it's worth the money and it goes like a dream and it saves me an awful lot of time and effort.

I hope this helps. Just to say thank you to all of those people who also put reviews on for all of the food processors - it helped me more than you know!
on 9 October 2010
Only had this machine for a few days but so far I love it. Used the machine to make pastry and couldn't believe how quick it came together. I through in the flour, softened butter and as it mixed I poured in the water and it almost instantly formed the ball which I then quickly turned it off. I thought the pastry wouldn't be that great as it mixed so quicky but seriously it was fantastic. I will never moan about the trials of making pastry again. Haven't tried anything els yet but I will. I previously owned a cheap Kenwood processer and it did me fine for a year before the plastic cracked so I decided to realy treat myself to this baby and I am glad I did. Very heavy but solid and well made. Plastic looks of good quality also. Oh and it looks realy smart on the work top. Mines the white one. When it comes to kitchen machines I have learnt that you do get what you pay for and if you can afford it treat yourself to the best!
on 25 June 2011
When my fantastic Krups food processor finally gave up after nearly 20 years of use I was upset for a few moments but soon realised it meant I would now have the perfect excuse to buy a much yearned for Magimix. Perhaps all that waiting increased my expectation but I am a bit disappointed. Firstly, like many other food processors (which I deliberately avoided) I hadn't realised that you have to use both bowls to mix smaller quantities and hence more washing up. However my main complaint is that if like me you like to weigh your items as you put them into the Magimix (very easy with the new weigh and reset didgital scales), when you then take the bowl to the Magimix it is difficult to get it onto its fixing without pushing the blade up. When this happens all the indgredients then get under the blade and it won't work until you take everything out and put the blade back in etc. ..... . Also perhaps its just me but to unlock the unit you have to turn it to the left which feels awkward, especially when it is heavy with ingredients; my husband who is left handed thinks its great because I am right handed I find it more difficult and I think it would be easier the other way around, ie locking clockwise and unlocking anti-clockwise. The spatula that is supplied to assist in scraping the bowl was damaged in its first use and it seems to be made of a pretty poor quality plastic. Also some of the attachments that I would have expected as standard at this price(chip maker, choc grater)are only supplied as extras. Many other reviewers seem to love it and as I do a great deal of cooking and will use it regularly I expect I shall get used to it but I have to say I think it will always just be a good friend rather than my my best one!
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is the orginal and the best. It is expensive but you get what you pay for - as my wife says: 'I am too poor to afford cheap things' (think about it....).
This processor has almost every conceivable function and will tolerate years of heavy use. It is ideal for small-scale catering, entertaining, large families, or if like me, you simply do lots of cooking and enjoy dinner parties. The long term warranty and wide spare parts and accessories availablity are reassuring too and Magimix has a stellar reputation. It will chop, slice, puree, juice, grate, blend, whisk, etc. Three bowls are supplied - small, medium and large and a nice box to store all the accessories. Cleaning is straightforward and most parts are dishwasherable on a lower heat setting.
This was a major investment but one that is worthwhile. One word of warning - they are physically quite large and would crowd a small kitchen. There is smaller model below the 4200 and the 5200 behemoth above it. I don't have a single regret about the investment. It should give years of use.
on 13 July 2011
I have had this beauty for a couple of weeks now and LOVE it.I had been wanting Magimix for several years but could never justify the cost so bought a (much) cheaper one, what a waste of money that was as it was next to useless.So I saved my pennies and treated myself to this and so far I am more than pleased with it. Looks really smart out on the kitchen worktop and very easy to use.So if you are considering buying one don't do as I did and buy a cheap substitute as like me you will only regret it and it the long run spend more as you know what they say "You get what you pay for"
on 27 April 2012
I deliberated for quite some time before buying the Magimix 4200. It was a big step up to what I used in the past and wondered if spending this much money on a processor would be justified. Well I would certainly say that it has been money well spent because it has made such a difference to food preparation. It is very versatile and I find it quick and the powerful motor means that it can cope with whatever is put in and cleaning is no worse than any other processor. Amazon was the best price and it is certainly a welcome addition to my kitchen.
on 11 December 2012
This item is the business - strong, well made and does exactly what it claims to do. Note that the shredding slicing discs are two sided. My first attempt at coleslaw turned into cabbage, onion and carrot paste as I used the wrong side of the disc. Can't blame Magimix for that.

See one answered question