5.0 out of 5 stars More Toast Please
I've lost count at the number of toasters I've got through over the years, some fancy, some basic, some would warm, some defrost, some with a stainless steel case, some plastic but they all have had one thing in common, they didn't toast....

Published on 30 Oct. 2012 by swift

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great shame about the toast
Published on 9 Feb. 2011 by Catherine Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars More Toast Please, 30 Oct. 2012

... And only realised none of them toasted since last year when the dualit arrived..... all this time i've put up with machines that just don't work.

Its an odd thing to try and describe, I can't put my finger on any particular reason why the dualit is different other than to comment that since it's sat neatly on the worktop its been used several times everyday whereas before the toaster would rarely be used more than once a fortnight.

Perhaps some plus points might help to describe why its a proper toaster.

* It takes most sizes of bread ( from Morrisons instore multigrain to sainsbury's batch - both huge slices)
* controls are simple, somewhat retro but feel good and they work
* consistent results which enables more accurate settings from my memory
* Toasted sandwiches in toaster bags - slots wide enough to take a decent filling

Having had the machine for nearly a year it has not stopped making great toast and has been 100% reliable.

In operation, each slot has a sprung bread holder which widens if you prefer toasted doorsteps (or sandwiches / half a currant bun).. to check the toast whilst 'cooking' just pull up the lever... the elements stay on. the rotary dial for each half is marked from 1 to 8 , and there are four steps between each number (which suggest there are 28 different settings - (theres no 0)) in the centre of the rotary dial is a cancel button. the other two buttons are for defrost and one that only operates one side of the element - if you like your toast half done.

It's light and immediately out of the box this gave me the impression of not the best build quality.... though as soon as the controls are used its quality seems better and after a year I can't fault it..... other than I couldn't find the crumb tray for a while and was convinced I had to hold the unit upside down & shake it to get the bits out... I should have read the instructions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 3 Dec. 2011
Atticus (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I read the reviews for this product and as they were mixed, I was not sure if I should purchase one. I did though and have found it to be very good. It looks well and makes great toast WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT !

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great British Toaster, 3 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dualit 46202 4 Slot Lite Toaster in Cream Gloss Finish (Kitchen & Home)
After our Russell Hobbs toaster started to throw the bread back at us without even trying to toast it, we realised it was time to invest. We'd always liked the idea of Dualit toasters, but thought we'd miss the pop-up function. Problem solved now - this is a solidly built toaster which, thus far, works without a problem. We particularly like the way you can lift the toast out to check its progress without cancelling the program. And it is really great when you can support the country by buying British-made goods!

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great shame about the toast, 9 Feb. 2011
Catherine Scott (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this toaster after my original Dualit toaster died after about 20 years. I chose this one rather than another classic Dualit because I was tempted by the new fangled features like wide slots and a button for bagels. And I thought that Dualit are a good brand and I could trust them. What a mistake. Good toast, cooked fast so that it's crunchy on the outside and doughy in the middle is probably the best food every invented: bad toast, cooked slowly and all dried out or black on one side and pale and soft on the other, is fit only for the dustbin. This toaster doesn't have enough elements so it's slow, and it seems to cook only one side of the toast unless you use the two middle slots and switch both sides on. I knew there had to be a reason why it was so much cheaper than the classic one. Why oh why did I fall for it. For the sake of balance I'll mention that it does seem quite solidly built and looks good on the worktop but Dualit if you're reading this, it's not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toaster, 15 April 2011
R. J. Bransden "engRik" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Very good quality toaster, defrost, good control of 'browning' levels, bagel (one side) toasting, and a good crumb tray (always handy).
Deffinitely worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dualit 4 slice toaster, 8 Sept. 2013
Decided to buy dualit, a toaster for life, the best you can buy. First one arrived very speedily, used it for a couple of weeks and the left hand side stayed on permanantly. Called the supplier, very helpful. New one arrived, only toasts one side of the bread, so thats going back too. Going back to cheap and cheerful. Not£70!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent toaster, 28 Jan. 2012
tim ward (Somerset) - See all my reviews
smart, well made, easy to use, and a third of the price of the full-strength Dualit. Cannot see why you'd pay any more

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else!, 18 Mar. 2013
Purchased this & matching kettle from another store 2 years ago. I am currently on kettle no 4 & toaster no 3. Kettles failed with various leaks & power issues. Toasters both exploded with a nice lighting bolt scaring the life out of my bleary-eyed teenage daughter. It is over £9 to send these back via Parcelforce & Dualit offere nothing in compensation. Poorly made & unreliable. Not as if this is cutting edge tech either - boiling water & toasting bread! My latest replacement toaster is currently working, but straight out of the box has to be set to maximum, to actually make toast, as opposed to warm bread - useless.They look nice but I would advise everyone to avoid this Dualit Lite (rhyming slang?) stuff & either spend double on a proper Dualit or spend less on something which will be far superior. Wish I'd kept my £10 chrome Tesco special.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap looking and poor quality, 29 Mar. 2015
Ordered on 19.01.2015. Less than 3 months later it blew the fuses in my house. I also bought 2 of the sandwich cages and I suspect the cause of my blown fuses is the poor design of the toaster in that if you use it to make toasties, over time small amounts of butter that you need to butter the outside of the bread may end up on the elements - even when using the thinnest bread in the cage. The instruction manual specifically tells you to butter the bread on the outside but the toaster doesn't seem to be able to cope with this - or at least, mine can't. I don't know for certain that this is the case but it's the only thing I can think of.

And while we're on the subject of the toastie feature - it's rubbish. Every toastie I've made has left the filling luke warm. The cheese never melts. Only way I can cook the filling so the cheese has melted is to burn the toast.

A standard Warburton Toastie does not fit. If you put it in sideways it bends and sticks. If you put it in upright the top of the bread doesn't touch the elements and therefore doesn't toast.

I purchased the black model. It comes in cheap looking shiny black plastic, with cheap looking faux metal trim. Anyone used to the excellent quality of Dualit's more expensive models will be sorely disappointed at the look and feel of this one. This toaster is cheap because it is cheap quality. I have learnt my lesson. Shame on you Dualit - you are seriously compromising brand trust with this piece of junk.

Happily Amazon have refunded me. Just a tip for anyone reading this - if you have a problem with this item (or any other item) and the period for return shows as expired when you click the 'returns' button, contact Amazon because the chances are that if the product is defective or not fit for purpose then they will refund you. I got a refund on a faulty vacuum a year after I purchased it. I'd had repeated problems with it and was getting no joy from the manufacturer. I contacted Amazon and was able to return it for a full refund without quibble.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty, 21 May 2012
This was the second toaster I had as the first one cracked , this item lasted only a couple of weeks and blew up while being used . Amazon service was excellent and refunded my money promptly - but would not recommend this product -although it looked great.