5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to set up, does what it says - well worth the money
I bought this product (not from Amazon, sorry) having been frustrated by an Edimax EW-7416APN Wireless 802.11n Access Point - Range extender. My experience in the past has been that wifi range extenders are tricky to set up and not desperately reliable.

Published on 23 Sep 2010 by The Brambler

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away!!!!
I am now on my second one of these things, as other reviewers state, its very easy to set up and I know this because you gets tons of practice, the problem is that the unit loses its connection to the internet after a few hours, the only way to get it back is to do a hard reset then set it up again.

Phoned netgear support which is a whole new circle of hell,...
Published on 20 Feb 2011 by Jmcg

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to set up, does what it says - well worth the money, 23 Sep 2010
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)

The Netgear WN2000RPT, by contrast, was a dream. No fiddling about with temporary fixed IP addresses, subnet masks, network cables and CDs. It plugged into the mains, then after a minute or so broadcast its own wireless signal. I connected with that and was automatically directed to the range extender's own browser-based setup menu. Linking to my existing home network through that menu, and setting up network names and security codes, was simplicity itself.

What's more, the extender does not appear to be fazed by being switched off, breaks in the original network signal, or suchlike, things that had caused me such problems with my Edimax. It also has an on-off toggle switch and four network cable sockets (I haven't yet tried connecting to them) and a light which changes colour to indicate signal strength. Another light shows when a computer is connected.

I have only had the product for a day as yet, but as the tone of this review suggests I am delighted with it. So far as I can see it provides very acceptable signal strength and range. It is more expensive than some range extenders, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Set Up WiFi Extender, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I bought this extender as I work from a converted garage now office at the bottom of the garden. In the house we had very poor wi-fi signal and my son had major problems with his XBOX 360 Live connections. I first of all changed the channel on my Sky router and did get a better signal. But on buying the extender we now have full signal strength in the house and my son is a happy bunny as he also has full wi-fi signal for XBOX live.
After spending a little time trying to set the extender up I found out why I was having some issues. This is what I did:

1. Before turning on the extender, check the networks on your machine. ( I for some reason had another 4 networks on my PC no idea why, but apart from your own router which you will see with your own SSID, any other that you do not know delete. (Because of these other wireless networks the extender would not connect to internet although it would to the router/modem)

2. Fire up the extender

3. Connect via wireless to NETGEAR_EXT which when you scan for wireless networks you will see.

4. Once connected open your browser, this will take you to the Netgear config wizard. (Make sure your extender is as far away from your router as you can) Carry out the wizard instructions.

5. You will need to enter your wireless network key for the extender to connect to your router/modem.

6. On completion you will now notice two of your networks (eg. NETWORK111 and NETWORK111_EXT one is your router/modem and the other with suffix _EXT is the extender.

Please be aware that if you have a good enough signal without the extender do not connect as this slows everything down I found. The extender is designed to be used "out of range" or on the border of a signal.

I highly recommend to anyone in a similar position this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Device !!!!, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
We have a fairly large two storey house (4000+ sq.ft) with solid first floor floors. Having a good wireless signal throughout the house meant we would move the router between ground and first floor depending on where it was needed most. We thought of upgrading from a G router to an N router but were told that this wouldn't solve the problem. Upon browsing through Amazon we noticed the Netgear Wireless Extender, and by its description it was exactly what we needed.

The extender was simple to set-up, and the signal throughout the house is fantastic. Best purchase I have made in a long time.

I was so pleased it prompted me to write my first review.

Highly recommended!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away!!!!, 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)

Phoned netgear support which is a whole new circle of hell, 20 from a guy reading from a script telling me that either the extender is too far away ( not according to the set-up and its only about 15 mtrs away, or my cordless phone was interfering....there is also lots of others who are having this problem... just search on WN2000rpt loses internet connection and you will find some of the other unfortunate souls who's life has been blighted....

It would be great if it works, but in my experience this thing does not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor router signal, 6 Oct 2010
Mr. J. Cooke (North Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I bought this range extender after reading one review and because the signal in my office at the bottom of the garden was very poor and kept dropping.
I'm so glad I did, it's brilliant. I was afraid of the setting up of it because of all the reviews of orther products that said how tricky it can be. It was simplicity itself, I did it all in 10 minutes, well it nearly sets itself up, you just follow the screen wizard. I now have a very good signal and am a happy bunny.NETGEAR WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender - Wireless network extender - 802.11n - 802.11b/g/n - external

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to set up - up and running in minutes, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I needed to extend the range of my Belkin N+ Wireless ADSL Modem Router with Increased Wireless Range & High-speed Internet Connection 300 Mbps (F5D8635uk4A).

Having previously bought the Edimax EW-7416APN Wireless 802.11n Access Point - Range extender and spent countless frustrating hours trying to get it to work, I gave up, dumped it and bought the Netgear WN2000RPT.

It was such a different experience. It was simple to configure and get working but also gave the advanced settings I wanted such as not broadcasting ssid, and mac filtering.

Costs more but is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent (although obstructions may still be a problem), 5 April 2011
P. Stephens (Bath, B&NES United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
In my experience NetGear kit is always good, and this is no exception. It's amazingly easy to set up, and unlike so many networking products the installation routine actually works instead of dumping you in a world of network protocol pain. It even looks good - it's the size of a paperback book and designed to stand vertically, so you can stick it on a bookshelf.

It's worth noting, however, that it might not work for everyone. It only supports wireless connections to your main router (you can't connect it to the router by ethernet cable), so if your range problem includes an obstruction (e.g. a thick wall) it still may not be able to give good wireless coverage on the other side. That said, my problem does include a thick wall (to my kitchen), and it works for me. Signal strength isn't perfect (it fluctuates between 1 and 5 bars on my laptop) but it's far better than before and enough to reliably stream internet radio, which is what I wanted it for, so I'm happy. If your problem is simply distance, then this shouldn't be an issue.

One slight oddity in the setup is that by default, it gives its own wifi network a diferent name from your main router's (you main name plus "_EXT"). This means you end up with two separate networks in your house, and have to have both configured into your devices. It also means that handheld devices may hang on to the weak signal from one network even though you've moved to the other network's strong area. In fact it doesn't have to be like this - you can give its network the same name as your main router's, in which case it acts as a true extender and handhelds will automatically switch to the strongest access point while moving around. Even with two networks running, it still managed to bridge me through to the printer on my main router's network, which shows the software really knows its stuff.

If you're worried about an obstruction then you can get an idea of whether this product will work by placing your router where the extender would be and seeing what the signal is like on the other side (don't forget to also check the signal to there from your router's usual position). The extender does support cable connections to client devices, so if it's a matter of getting one or two PCs to work beyond a wall you could use this to avoid cabling all the way to your main router.

Chances are, though, that it'll work anyway. This seems a throroughly well-sorted piece of kit, and it's achieved in 10 minutes what I've avoided trying to tackle (the mysery of configuring network extensions) for five years. Excellent!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Waste of Time and Money, 10 Mar 2011
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I bought this as I have the same problem as many. My router is in the front of the flat and my office is in the back. I didn't want to drag an ethernet cable through the flat but now I wish I had. I bought this product purely based on the review and some research.

I was told it is easy to set up and initially it appeared to be the case. Straight forward and simple. A little bit of effort was required to get the positioning right but nothing more.

However it doesn't connect to my BT home Hub. Simple. Nothing I can do. I rang BT and they were very helpful and patiently eliminated all of the other possibilities leaving the Booster to be the only reason.

They suggested I rang Netgear for support. And this is the problem. Nothing but a strange tune being played over a over. No voice mail or person to speak with.

Please avoid this product for no other reason than if you are not an IT expect assume you will need support and if this is the case don't count on any.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to configure, easy to use., 13 Sep 2011
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
Setting up an old style repeater can be a drag. You have to set the repeater with the MAC address of the router, the router with the MAC address of the repeater, assign a fixed IP address for the repeater in both devices... etc etc. After all that more often then not it STILL wouldn't work

Not so with this device. Setting up is via a easy to use Wizard and there is no need to touch the settings of the Router. All you have to do is select your network from the list detected by the NETGEAR WN2000RPT and then enter the login and password required. Since the router looks on the WN2000RPT as just another wifi connected computer even routers which do not normally support repeaters can be used.
Once connected you just connect your PC or other device to the signal from the router in the usual way and off you go.

The signal seems strong and powerful and automatically reconnects if the router or the WN2000RPT is switched off and on.

The Good
Simple to configure and set up
Automatically reconnects if signal lost
No need to touch it once in use
Boots the wifi signal and provides 4 more ethernet ports

The Bad
Casing could be smaller and more compact
Instructions poor and badly written

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustration, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
Once the range extender arrived went through the set up process and all seemed well with good connections between my router to the extender and from the extender to my lap top.

Problem occurs when I wanted to connect to the net. Error message 105 on google.

Looked on netgear help and was told that the problem was specificto Google and I should try using explorer or firefox - neither of these worked either. Rang netgear help line and was told by the lady (who had never heard of BT!!) that I should plug my laptop into this wireless bit of kit. Decided to get an IT solutions company to come in and sort it out. They spent a frustrating 5 hours trying to get it to work before admitting defeat.Good money after bad

Got a phone call out of the blue from netgear on Sunday night and was told that the reason for the problem is that if the distance from the router to my laptop was 100ft it will only work if the extender is placed 35-45ft from the router and the laptop could only be used 55-65ft from the extender.

Done some research and found a number of forums where lots and lots of people have had the same problem and the general concensus of opinion from people who appear to be far more knowledgable than me is that the WN2000RPT is not fit for purpose. Connection to the net through the extender is intermitant at best and non-existent at worst.

Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender