4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Feel-Good Film
This was a shot in the dark, but it paid off. It turned out to be very pleasant, very enjoyable and very amusing, with quite a few laugh-out-loud moments.

Published on 9 Oct 2010 by E. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Harmless Fun
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by J. Morris

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Feel-Good Film, 9 Oct 2010
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

It's one of those films where the characters all work well together and are all likeable in their own way, unlike other so-called comedies I've seen recently. The dorky lead guy, Kirk, is a definite 5 out of 10 at best, yet a definite 10 girl falls for him. I liked the girl, because she came across as a genuine decent person, despite her obvious physical, financial and social advantages.

Kirk's friends are all decent enough, not offensive in any way, which seems to be more the norm nowadays. I especially liked gentle Devon, who quoted Disney films and was so excited when a girl called him hot.

The film reminded me a little of Ferris Bueller and Adventureland, sitting somewhere between the two and is one of the most enjoyable of this type of young love comedy. Compared to Hot Tub Time Machine, which we watched recently, this is streets ahead and so much more fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong rom-com that's better than it sounds, 16 Dec 2011
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I should've hated this movie but didn't. On paper it has all the makings of a below-average teen boy's movie, populated by stereotypes. However a really strong cast and a few unexpected twists really lift it to above-average. There were plenty of funny moments, although if you've seen the trailer you've seen most of them, and there are just about the right number of penis jokes- not too many, not too few...

Jay Baruchel is well-suited to the weedy, wallflower male lead. Alice Eve is a great lead actress- a definite 'ten' but also believable and vulnerable and not just there to be a pin-up.

The Blu-ray is a bit sparse; just the movie, one commentary and a handful of deleted scenes and bloopers. But then, this is not the kind of classic movie that justifies many hours of extras. But it is, unexpectedly, quite good.

4.0 out of 5 stars MALE CHICK FLICK?, 17 Jun 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: She's Out Of My League [DVD] (DVD)
This has all the makings of a chick flick except the male is in the traditional role of the chick. Kirk, our male lead (nice guy loser)has a circle of male friends who reminded me of something out of "Sex and the City". Through a series of unlikely circumstances Kirk (Jay Baruchel_ starts dating a hot chick named Molly (Alice Eve), who has looks, money, and can speak hockey. Which to you girls is like a guy who knows name brand clothes.

The plot is as predictable as a James Cameron film. The jokes at times, are far from fresh, yet it seems to work. Kirk brings Molly home to meet his folks and have dinner. This is perhaps the best family dinner since the Murphy's "Nutty Professor" and it didn't rely on toilet humor for it. It does have some fresh scenes during the predictable plot.

The lessons of this story is that NASCAR guys get NASCAR girls and nice losers get hot chicks because hot chicks are tired of rich good looking studs. And the sad truth to this is that the best way to get a girlfriend is to already have a girlfriend because women only want what other women have.

PARENTAL GUIDE: Frequent F-bomb, no nudity, near sex (grinding etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice film that leaves you with a warm feeling., 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: She's Out Of My League [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this on BBC1 late one night and the review was poor. I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its light hearted and fun and also sweet. Some very funny bits and has become one of my fave films. Plain man falls for beauty and surprisingly she feels the same. Laughs n mishaps ensue before the penultimate romantic ending. Well worth a watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Harmless Fun, 16 Jun 2010
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: She's Out Of My League [DVD] (DVD)
She's out of my league is the story of Kirk (Jay Baruchel - Tropic Thunder) a self-acknowledged loser who works for the Transport Security Administration (TSA). Things start to change when he meets Molly (Alice Eve - Starter For 10) and manages to start a relationship with her to the amazement of everyone that surrounds them, especially given Molly's ex-boyfriend; Captain Cam 'Foot-long' Armstrong - a fighter pilot.

This film is not going to amaze or win any accolades, I just want to say that it is inoffensive and has some truly funny moments, despite the weak premise and unfeasible story. Kirk's awkwardness is fantastic and you really feel some pity for him as he is ribbed by almost everyone including (especially) his family & friends. The film manages to steer clear of most of the cliches of teen-movies but after a while it becomes obvious that this is all it has going for it and I couldn't help feeling that this was a movie targeted at shy & awkward teens to inspire them. The leads are just SO mismatched that the relationship really is quite inconceivable and I still didn't buy that it was possible by the end despite all the explanations about it not being about looks & money etc.

An easy watch, a couple of laugh-out-loud moments (especially the scene with the dog), but instantly forgettable. If you can take this at face-value then you stand a chance of enjoying it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely film, 25 May 2011
This review is from: She's Out Of My League [DVD] (DVD)
I love this film! I normally hate romantic comedies, but I watched this on Sky Anytime for the sake of it, and have now watched it ten times in a week. I literally spend every minute of the film with a smile on my face, it's brilliant. Not your typical cheesy rom-com in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable!, 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: She's Out Of My League [DVD] (DVD)
I caught this on tv the other evening & thoroughly enjoyed it.

There were pangs of recognition (I won't say which bits) at some of the things that the main character went through. It also had some very amusing moments & on occasion some 'laugh-out-loud' moments too.

So if you want a chuckle or a feel-good flick, check this out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really funny film, 16 Sep 2010
This review is from: She's Out Of My League [DVD] (DVD)
This movie is really good fun! I laughed out loud on many occassions - look out for the plane scene. It is a classic. Settle down for a good night in with friends and some popcorn and enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 21 Jan 2014
A. J. Hill (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She's Out Of My League [DVD] (DVD)
'Perfect' woman goes after awkward, but altogether decent dude who suffers from low self-esteem. Jay Baruchel's character is surrounded by family and friends who don't think highly of him. Alice Eve's character has an insecurity of her own. Solid performances from all involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought!, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: She's Out Of My League [DVD] (DVD)
This movie was hilarious, at first from what I'd seen in trailers and in reviews I didn't think it would be as well written as it was. It turned out to be a fantastic movie, great cast, great music, great story! Recommend this to any Jay Baruchel fans!

She's Out Of My League [DVD]
She's Out Of My League [DVD] by Jim Field Smith (DVD - 2010)