Flavour Name: Liver|Size: MaxiTube|Change

on 1 February 2015
First of all I'd like to say that the treats themselves are great - great tasting (I assume, my dog loves them), fine to handle (not sticky or wet), and they last a long time. However, they are particularly chewy, which can be annoying in training sessions when you have to wait for ages for your dog to finish eating the treat between tricks. Also, they are pretty big (about 2"x2"). I like to give my puppy pea-sized treats when training, so she doesn't get too full and we can move on quickly. Also, it means I don't worry about overfeeding her in long training sessions. I tried ripping them up at first, but this didn't work out - they're extremely tough! So I tried cutting them. This also didn't work out so well - they're so hard it's difficult to cut them up. So I soaked some in some boiling water and cut them up when they were soft. Now, they are the perfect size, but I'm not sure after doing this how long they will last/stay fresh and whether soaking them made the fact that they were dried redundant? Either way, they are great for a final reward treat at the end of a training session, but if you want small treats these probably aren't the best thing for you.
on 9 April 2014
The dogs love these. They come in a huge tub so is better value for money than the small ones which I refuse to buy for our cat as they are ridiculously expensive. Although the duck comes in large pieces, we cut them up small and they're lovely for training treats. Our cat also loves them. They'd work out expensive if we gave whole, but they are fairly easy to cut up unless you have rheumatism for example. Would definitely recommend.
on 18 June 2013
my two dogs will do anything for a small piece of these treats. I find they are larger than needed and tend to cut them in half. I keep them in a bum bag in my pocket when out for walks and rarely if ever need to use them, the smell is enough to get my (and other people's dogs) walking to heel! Beware though, they do have a very pungent smell so best kept in doggy walking coats/clothes!
on 4 June 2015
I'm currently doing a lot of reward based training work with my two young dogs. Obviously giving them so many treats per day, I wanted something low fat, as natural as possible and not smelly. One of my dogs also suffers from crystals in his urine, which treats sometimes aggravtes. This product really does work and the dogs love them.

They look totally different from what i was expecting, though that was me being naive I think! They basically have the texture and appearance of pigs ears that you can buy, without the smell! They tear fairly easily - they are quite big chunks and using them for reward based training you only really want a small piece, but one chunk tears into about 3 pieces.

The treats come in a really attractive, simple container, that will keep fresh and sealed with the plastic lid. That way you can fill your treat bag as and when but haven't got open bags of treats everywhere.

They also haven't yet appeared to turn my dogs out - which many treat brands do, but it is early days. It is also too early to comment on whether it will make my dogs crytals in his urine bad again, but hopefully being low fat and natural without anything added, it should hopefully not.
on 31 August 2012
These duck dog treats have helped my boisterous standard poodle to learn to sit and stay, walk to heel and play at find the treat. He's still over energetic and bonkers but improving. He is not too bothered about most food usually but he does really like these duck bits.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2015
My dog has recently been diagnosed as diabetic, and most treats are unsuitable for him. My vet suggested Thrive, as it contains no surplus carbs, and there are times - such as immediately after giving the insulin injection - when I want to give my dog a treat. I'm glad to say that he really loves these, and looks forward to getting them. The pieces can be broken up, and he has about three pieces a day in total; they aren't cheap, but aren't ludicrously expensive either, and I'm glad that there are treats which won't adversely affect his condition. I'll try him with the other flavours available, to give a bit of variety.I much prefer this packaging to the usual resealable bags as the tight sealing lids hold in the flavour, prevent staleness and keep out moisture.
on 27 September 2014
Great treats! My Rottie boy loves them and I'm happy that they are actually good for him, too. I usually 'rip' them in smaller pieces so that he can eat them faster when I reward him while we're out saving the world - which is no easy task (the ripping) as they are not exactly soft but doable if you are determined and have strong, nimble (or simply manly) fingers. When I leave him in the house alone for a while I cunningly throw a few whole pieces into the living room and walk silently out of the door while he's busy munching away. That way he associates a positive event (= getting treats) with an otherwise potentially stressful situation (= me leaving him), and the neighbours never hear a peep (or howl) from him until I'm back. Will buy more.
on 13 June 2016
My dog Daisy absolutely adores and goes crazy for this treat! The pieces of dried duck average approx 1in x 3/4in in size and about 4mm thick. A nice size and thickness for a tasty bite for most dogs. If you have a tiny dog of a delicate nature then they may find these a little tough to handle.(e.g. a friend of mine has a chihuahua and I know that these would be too big and thick for her. For your info, if it helps you to ascertain what size dog mine is, Daisy is a Patterdale cross mini daschund and is about the size of a beagle and she chomps away happily on these, with no problem at all!
on 18 September 2013
We use these for training treats and they love them. They are a little expensive but worth it. It is good that they don't break in your pocket and that they are good quality.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2015
I was recommended to try this by my vet as my dog is now diabetic, and needs low-calorie high protein food. Fortunately, my dog loves it - just as much as he likes the chicken variety, and doesn't seem to miss the treats he had before. It's helped with his weight-loss programme, and although not cheap, is not ludicrously expensive either. The pieces - 100% air-dried duck - can be broken into smaller pieces for rewards - and are quite hard, so chewing them helps keep his teeth healthy as well. Popular with both of us.