5.0 out of 5 stars sizing
Published on 18 Oct 2011 by Philip55

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm Sweater
This is a lovely sweater but was a bit surprised how long it was, coming right down to the top of my legs, though I am 5ft 10ins high. Phoned supplier who very courteously informed me that this was correct for cold submarines. Fortunately ( or unfortunately) have not yet had opportunity to test it in really cold weather.
Published on 19 Dec 2011 by rgcranmore@compuserve.com

5.0 out of 5 stars sizing, 18 Oct 2011
well i bought one of these a number of months ago and i have to say its brilliant and very retro but still amazing in quality. i just have one critisism and thats the sizing info. I had no idea how the sizing system worked and i ended up with a size 3 which is around two sizes to big for me however... i kept the wooley and even tho its a tad to big i find it looks great and keeps me warm in the winter time even when out on my mountain bike. pity its jumped up in price tho i wanted to get another two in a size 2 for the future but i will have to wait for now..

Just to update! I am wearing this fantastic sweater regularly now as the weather goes colder. I only have put on a tea shirt underneath and my duffle coat on top and find i am warm as toast even on the sea front at Portsmouth and Southsea where the wind gets a bit blustery. 0I will be getting another two shortly in a sixe two as i am only 5 feet 9 inches tall and i find that size three is a tad on the big side but brilliant if you dont mind that 60's oversized look. Highly recomended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sizing?, 9 Jan 2013
A. Fonteyne (Vlezenbeek Belgium) - See all my reviews
This sweater looks very nice, is very comfortable and its military association was a plus for me. The only "negative" is the size - my chest size at 112cm puts me between a 2 and a 3 (European 52 or 106cm chest and European 56 or 118 cm chest) but as I usually size 52 I took a 2. Predictably it was a bit tight but I prefer this kind of fit ( 56 would have been loose)and after trying the sweater 2 or 3 times it stretched enough for comfort.
I also recently bought a Devold Nansen Norwegian fisherman's sweater http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devold-Nansen-Norwegian-Fishermans-Sweaters/dp/B008I21KDS which is relatively similar in cut to the sub sweater but thicker, in grey melange merino wool. I own a 30 year old one and it only recently started to come apart. Just like the sub sweater, however, they are no longer made with the same "original" thick stitches and the rough wool, so the general feel is softer than it was in the past. These types of sweaters are incredibly comfortable and warm, and also rigid (I tend to compare them to a coat of mail).

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm Sweater, 19 Dec 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best, 22 Mar 2012
I was issued with one of these in 1968 when a member of RAF Air Sea Rescue High Speed Launches based in Falmouth. I still have the original it was a size 2 and has lasted me till now it is still wearable and in good condition, but now just a little tight....Ha Ha well it has been 44 years and I have upgraded to a size 3. It is great value for money, it was delivered the very next day after ordering, it is Superb Quality as described just a slightly smaller knit size than my original but still fabulous....Don't worry about the sizes it may be a little bit Big on you but if you take just a little bit of care with it ...IT WILL LAST YOU YOUR WHOLE LIFETIME...and you will grow into it...Well done Silvermans

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical. Well made., 22 Jan 2014
Beyond the appeal to historical and naval enthusiasts, I've found this version of the "RN/RAF Submarine/Deck Rollneck Sweater" to be a very practical and hard-wearing mid-layer for winter (nothing insulates like wool). At first I was a little put off by the length- but now there's nothing else I want to wear when I'm going to be outside in winter for prolonged periods of time (think "CYA"). I've tried versions of this sweater made by different companies, and this one wins out for fit and quality. Can't beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, 12 Mar 2012
Very quick delivery.
Sizing window ,no 4 which was meaning 4xl , chest sizing was properly fitting for winter confort ,free movement
while driving, lifting something, boating ... Super.
Now I will buy the blue navy colour option .

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello sailor, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Royal Navy Rollneck Sub Sweater (Apparel)
This is an excellent quality product, very warm. It comes up big and is surprisingly long. It should last a lifetime

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smart Christmas present, 29 Dec 2013
Given as a present which was well received. Sizes were only quoted in 1,2,or 3 size and not by chest size which would be more practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful sweater, 20 Mar 2013
Cameron R. Erridge (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Royal Navy Rollneck Sub Sweater (Apparel)
This sweater is a lifetime purchase. It is very well made and extremely warm in adverse conditions. I very similar to the ones I was issued with during service with the RAF during the late 1950's to stave off the bitter cold in Lincolnshire

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 9 Sep 2014
Just what I've been looking for after having left the navy many years ago

Royal Navy Rollneck Sub Sweater