5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Delight
Published on 9 Nov 2011 by Reb

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony Micro hi-fi
The DAB radio works fine - auto tuned happily. Equally the FM radio found stations with no problems. The quality of the sound was good compared to some devices I've used. The CD player works well. Build quality is probably best described as "adequate", it is fairly plasticy although the speakers seem better than the unit I think.

So - why am I less than...
Published on 22 Aug 2010 by Totnes Nigel

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Delight, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: Sony CMTFX250 Mini Hi-Fi with All in One Audio System (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Background: I bought this to replace our ageing kitchen AM/FM Radio/CD Player, having done a lot of research. I wanted a DAB radio - we really like the new Radio 4 Extra as a great change to our staple diet of R4/R3/Classic FM. There are still a lot of DAB/CD Micro Units out there even though many people are moving over to iPod docks/MP3 to store their music. We still have loads of CDs.

Appeareance and setup: the base unit is a stylish black and silver plastic, and the design slightly retro, with a knob for the volume, and orange backlighting for the display. The remote is chunky, well laid out and takes 2 x AA batteries. Set-up was a doddle: it all plugs together very simply, and when switched on, it's easy to do the initial scan for DAB stations: although we live right in the country, the scan picked up a large number of stations.

Performance: the radio sounds full-bodied and clear. CDs sound clear and all audio frequencies are well amplfied. Power output is sufficient to fill our quite large kitchen to boogie-ing point. The Sony DSGX sound enhancer adds a great dimension to the sound. We can hear FM stations too, and our MP3 player works well via the audio-in socket.

Overall: this gets 5 stars as a truly fit-for-purpose kitchen or secondary stereo system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, simple-to-use and sounds great!, 30 Aug 2010
H. Playford "mambohels" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Earlier reviews have already admirably covered the technical aspects of this system, but I have a few things I would like to add about its looks and user friendliness.

First, the whole thing is nicely weighty. The speakers in particular are much more sturdy than any I've owned before (and I've always bought strictly in the 'no-frills' category) which is very pleasing. Silly as it sounds, this system looks expensive.

I decided to give the system the "obviousness test" whereby I whipped it out of the box and assembled it without glancing at the instructions. Luckily, it couldn't have been simpler. Plug speaker cables into the back of the unit, attach the DAB/FM aerial, plug the power supply in and you're good to go. The second you turn it on, it automatically tunes the DAB receiver, which took only a few seconds. After that it's very easy: select function (CD, DAB, FM, AUDIO IN), change volume, press play...

I inadvertently left the radio aerial in its little coil and was therefore doubly impressed at the quality of the reception on both the FM and DAB bands.

I tested a range of CDs of different types and ages and it played them all without problem.

I also tested the Audio In feature, by plugging in two different MP3 players (one old, one new) and again, there were no problems. Though the description says a cable is included, it wasn't with mine, so do be wary of that!

As far as my non-expert ears could tell, the sound quality was excellent, especially with the in-built sound enhancer switched on. The acid test was some bass heavy dance music. In the past, I've noticed the bass overpowering the rest of the tune, but this system balanced it nicely.

It's also capable of going much, much louder than I could ever want to go.

All in all, for a no-frills system with an excellent DAB tuner built in, I can't fault this. If I were forced to name a downside I would say the remote control is a bit small and fiddly, but it's really, really not an issue.

Buy if: you want to update an old system, are lacking a DAB tuner, or want a Hi-Fi that is attractive but doesn't look too space-agey.
Don't buy if: you want a high-end system, you want a purpose built MP3 player dock, or you want a Hi-Fi that is snazzy and space-agey!

(Disclaimer: I am probably quite easily pleased since my previous system was long enough ago that the CD player was The Big Exciting New Thing! However, I have reviewed this system honestly, and am personally very impressed with it.)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good budget mini hi-fi which sacrifices the frills in favour of simple functionality. Ideal for kitchens and Bedrooms!, 28 Aug 2010
James Petford (Stourbridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being an avid music lover, i have gone through a fair number of music systems over the years to know which ones satisfy my ears and which ones deserve to be in the bin; thankfully this little mini Hi-fi falls in the former category with solid results.

This Mini Hi-fi sacrifices the frills of more expensive music players in favour of pure functionality and that is a good move on Sony's part as its minimalist design makes the player lean, and very easy to setup and use by just about everyone.

The buttons are clearly labelled and self explanatory, meaning you will be listening to your favourite tunes within minutes. The unit houses all the bare essentials you could want from a hi-fi system, a digital radio (with Analogue FM support), a CD player at the top and AUX Ouput at the front (For MP3 Players, Ipods).

The sound quality of this Hi-fi is suprisingly good for a unit of this price; offering good clarity in both speakers making the system an ideal choice to have in the bedroom or kitchen. Though, due to a lack of a refined bass system, the hifi can sound a little tinny in areas where the volume needs to be loud, for instance in large living rooms, but this a minor quibble.

If i'm allowed to nit-pick further, The ommision of an AUX cable is an issue and i'm not a big fan of the top loading CD drive design either, it's rather inconvienient to insert CD's in situations where there is no headroom like on a storage shelf; a front mounted drive would have been much better.

I strongly recommend this mini-Hifi if your looking for a competent music player as it does its job rather well on a budget, however if you are looking for a Stereo designed for audiophiles, i would look for something larger with a bit more audio clout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and good quality product, 29 Jan 2011
Being more used to audiophile equipment I'm rarely impressed by mini systems, but this one is excellent for the price.

It's perfect for a small room. The CD release mechanism feels a bit flimsy but aside from that, it's a classy looking piece of kit and - more importantly - sounds very good for its small size.

I chose it because of the DAB tuner and the fact it has an aux input. While - as others have mentioned - it doesn't come with the aux cable stated in the description, they don't cost much and I had one already.

Set-up was easy with it finding DAB stations at the press of a button. In typical bloke fashion I never bothered reading the instructions, and for once didn't need to either. A better aerial would be nice but then I live in a remote rural area with poor signal. For most I imagine the supplied aerial will be fine.

The volume control is nicely weighted and the display is elegant and understated, not bright and brash like some. The aux input is at the front allowing easy plugging in of MP3 players etc...

This product is pretty much designed for me. Compact but with good sound quality, no flashy displays, subtle design and very intuitive to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 21 Aug 2010
Mrs. J. Jones "janejones" (Chester) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely little audio system and I am delighted with it. Despite earlier comments you can play MP3 discs on it and there is an audio input at the front to connect to your MP3 player with the right lead. The radio sound quality is superb for its size and price range. I listen almost exclusively to Radio 3 and I am very happy with the sound. It also looks good and fits in with my decor and I am pleased to have such a great replacement for my old non-digital system.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony Micro hi-fi, 22 Aug 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

So - why am I less than enthusiastic? On the trivial side the instruction manual is not quite the right one for the model supplied - not quite sure because although all the controls are helpfully numbers there is no actual list which tells you what each number is - any reference to function is in the main text. The fact that the remote is not supplied with batteries just seems silly in this day and age and Sony loose a mark as far as I am concerned for that. More importantly why is there no usb port - they are on almost anything these days. The CD player will play MP3 discs which is fine but why would you burn an MP3 disc when you could put what you want onto a usb stick? I certainly see nothing stating it has a usb port so that is not an issue now (maybe someone has amended it). However it does state that you can "Connect your digital music player and play MP3s at full volume in great sound quality (cable supplied)" - no such cable with mine or mention of it so there are confused messages here.

All in all, good for sound quality/DAB/FM for such a device. The CD player is ok too. If you do want something like this then Amazon's price is pretty good compared to elsewhere. However it could have been better with a little more attention to detail and a usb port or at least the cable as stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tidy, 16 Sep 2010
Little Miss - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm very happy with this Hi Fi. For starters it's half the size of my old one and the sound quality is better. It's a very basic system but that's exactly what I wanted. Anyone looking for a top of the range model wouldn't be looking at this anyway, but for the less demanding it's perfect. This would be an ideal gift for someone of an older generation. It's simple to use and the quality of sound is very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but one Esential Lead Missing, 12 Sep 2010
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent little mini Hi-Fi which does what is says on the tin. It is extremely easy to put together and when you first power it up it autimatically tunes itself in. It is essentially a Radio/CD but you can play your IPod or MP3 player but you will have to buy a lead. The lead cost me money which I wasn't accounting for. However, once I attached this my Ipod played beautifully. It has a good sound and I find it to be very clear despite my having hearing difficulties. The player itself appears well built although it is very light and moves around easily when you press buttons. However, this has not really been a problem. Aesthetically it looks really good, and fits into my room well without overpowering it. Overall an excellent piece of kit which I would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic system, 21 Aug 2010
D. Harris (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good no-frills music system. You get a CD player and a DAB/ FM radio (no cassette player - I see from earlier reviews that some were disappointed by this). Setup is fairly simple, though the controls on the remote are a bit fiddly, especially for tuning the DAB. DAB reception is good, though this will obviously depend on how you arrange the wire aerial, and sound quality overall OK (if you're after something high end and you can afford it you won't go for this). I tried the CD playing both bought CDs and a burned playlist, and it coped well with both.

Connecting an iPod with a cable via the audio in was also straightforward - there's no USB dock, of course - and sound quality was, again, nice. Bear in mind that no cable is supplied (despite the product description) so if you're thinking of getting this as a present remember to get one of those too. Nor were there any batteries supplied for the remote: so add 2 x AA batteries as well if you're feeling really generous!

Overall a basic, functional system. I'd have given it 4 stars if it came with batteries and audio cable.

1.0 out of 5 stars dodgy cd player, 5 Aug 2011
D. Peters - See all my reviews
At first this HiFi seemed great,, the sound quality was really great for the price, the Dab radio was superb but after 6 months the cd stopped working, was sent of for repair under warranty lost use of system for 3 weeks when i got it back it was all working fine again as a new lazar unit had been fitted.......then 2 months later item stopped working again with the same problem....contacted Amazon and I am now in process of returning item for refund......also purchase a second one as a gift which also had the same problem where the cd player stopped working after 4 months this one was also repaired and is working ok at the moment fingers crossed.....I would not recommend this Hi-fi to anyone....on the plus side Amazon have been great in dealing with this for me.