5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10
Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC)

I never used to really rate Sony Vegas as a serious editing application. I just couldn't get to like the interface.
The one big thing in its favour however was its stability. Whatever video file system you would throw at it, it managed somehow to play it. After having had some trouble editing HD material with...
Published on 13 Jun 2010 by R. C. Davies-Rollinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Steep learning curve
I bought this product having previously used several versions of pinnacle studio and also Adobe Premier Elements. Vegas was highly reviewed and reasonably priced, I had just got an HD camera and so I took the plunge. It's early days yet, but even with my previous experience of video editing (or should that be *because* of my experience with other packages?), I have...
Published on 21 Nov 2010 by Underwater Photographer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Powerful, 13 Aug 2010
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
Having tried quite a few other video editors I am very impressed by Sony Movie Studio HD 10.
Recently having attended a local video editing course that used Adobe editing software I was reasonable impressed till my new Sony software arrived. It's just so much faster, smoother and easier to use. Well done Sony for producing such a fast and powerful editor.

Having got used to waiting quite a while for things to happen when editing it's a joy to see things happening much more quickly. Rendering, which used to be a 'put the kettle on' job is now achieved much more quickly. The software also seems to handle whatever video format you throw at it, unlike some other editors. So easy to learn I am now happily producing DVDs with chapters.

All in all, a good, powerful choice for your money. Go on, you know you deserve it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic editing software, 2 Aug 2010
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
If you thinking about this or adobe premiere elements 8. Buy this it is superior in every way.

1. Faster
2. Easier to use.
3. Better results, always have ratio problems playing back elements films ....
4. I think better value for money for all of the above reasons.

I only use it for time-lapse films. So I don't have an enormous knowledge. However Elements was driving me insane, this is a total joy to use. I downloaded the demo version and even without manuals i have been able to figure most things out. Sony would have to completely butcher this wonderful tool, for me to go back to Elements and even then I would probably just try something else.

Hope this is useful

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out, 25 Mar 2011
C. L. Dixon (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
Although very powerful, this software is NOT intuitive and is difficult to learn how to use. It requires a very powerful computer to run (I have 4GB of RAM, and it still refuses to create videos that are longer than about 2 minutes due to a supposed lack of memory!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does all you want, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
I have used a few of these prorammes and this one is as good as they come. Like anything else you have to spend some time getting your head round the many functions, but none of it is complicated. It's a shame the pack does not include a hard copy instructions book, but instructions are only a click away.

I bought this from Amazon when it was heavily discounted, but now that I have it I reckon it's worth it's normal retail price.You can buy it with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 30 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
This software is very good, it has all kinds of effects and is ideal for editing. Its also a very cheap prics, came well packed and came the next day. Over all i am very, very happy with the purchase, i reccomend this item!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Video Editor...but, 8 May 2011
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
This Sony movie studio is great once you get to grips with it. There is no story board. All your editing is done on the time line. You can get some idea of how the program works by watching the additional DVD included by a company called vaast. Once you begin to get the hang of things they fall into place. You can add or delete timelines for video audio text etc. This can help with the editing. The function to stabilize camera shake was not impressive. It takes time to process but the picture quality deteriorates and the definition is reduced. I have only used this in the standard definition format. I have an old JVC camcorder with composite and s-video outputs.The s-video connector to USB for importing content was recognised by the Sony software, however it failed to import the media from the camera. So I could not import content directly into Sony Movie Studio, however it accepts the computer's camera which was a direct USB input. So a current model USB camcorder should be ok. Fortunately my s-video to USB connection by Avermedia came with its own Ulead video editing software. I used this software to import content from my old JVC to my hard drive. Once this was done, I was able import that content into the Sony Movie Studio and I was able in time to edit it the way I wanted and added music of my choice to the movie. Then I burned a CD and also put my movie on you tube. The render functions for burning a CD and youtube are not the same, but they don't take too long. Sony also gives you Sony Archtitech studio and the Sony forge audio program all bundled together. I found this software better than Pinnacle which was easy to use but not as stable as the sony. The guidance video by Vaast is good enough to put you on the right track but you need to study it a few times as it is rather fast moving. I think the price for this software is very reasonable for its capabilities.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fiendishly difficult, 27 April 2011
Eric Baker (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
I bought this because I'm taking more videos of our granddaughter and finding the free VirtualDub software a bit limited. I use my big Fuji camera to take videos, just 640x480 VGA but focus and exposure is good and you can use the zoom whilst recording. If you play a clip in VLC and choose tools, media info, codec it will tell you all about the clip characteristics you are starting with. This Sony package seemed like great value, with a well reviewed video editor as well as Sound Forge for audio. It was easy to import some video clips but then my trials began. I found that dragging the edge of a clip destroys content - OK, that's like dragging the edge of an image. But it took ages to find how to slice out bits inside the clips and I still think there must be a simpler way I haven't found. Some things are really neat, eg the mouse scroll wheel zooms in and out on the timeline. But others, eg getting a template that fits your incoming video clip format or getting the package to nudge clips together after you remove a slice, are difficult (they call it auto ripple!). Generally the package feels like it's got 10,000 options and controls obscuring the few that you actually want. The help and tutorials seem to be pitched at anyone but a beginner. The worst of all was when I tried to save my edited results. It simply does not do something sensible like offer to save your edited video in something like the format it came in with and it took me a couple of hours to figure it out. At one stage the output was 1Gb for a minute of VGA video and played with sound only! Finally I found a 3Mbps WMV output format to match my 640x480 frames and be a reasonable size without losing any quality. But by then the package had crashed three times and lost all my edits.

I'm still learning how to do transitions - there are lots of options - and titles are easy enough. I haven't tried adding a music track but apparently the package started out as something for making music videos. I finally found how to use the stabilisation option and it seems to work pretty well - but it crops into each frame quite a bit so you really have to decide at the time you shoot a video clip whether it will need stabilisation - if it does zoom out somewhat to allow for the crop.

I'm sure I'll get used to this software and like it better in the end. But it shouldn't be so difficult to learn (especially for someone who was a software designer for years) and I found Cyberlink's Power Director very much easier when I helped a friend get going with that. It seemed as if it was designed for consumers whereas Sony's Movie Studio software feels as if it's designed for professionals who use it all day and appreciate the wealth of controls and tweaks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, 5 Jan 2011
A. Francis (Normandie) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10 is an excellent package for straightforward video editing, whether for 'serious' (camcorder) or 'snapshot' video footage (from mini digital cameras or 'phones) both SD and HD. Whether you want a simple 'string it altogether' or a more sophisticated edit with titling, music/sound effects, wipes, etc., it will do the job. I've used the software to compile a couple of DVDs and decided to buy it as a Christmas present for my son-in-law. I was pleasantly surprised to find that, not only was it cheaper, but it also included SoundForge audio editing software, which my package didn't 8-(

5.0 out of 5 stars sony vegas pro 10 hd, 23 Oct 2010
Mr. S. Hahn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
at first it started off being a little too hard to use but as soon as i got to understand this new editing interface i was ready

since i have a hauppauge pvr and i can now make machinima style gameplay videos instead of the dazzle crap i've been using before.

the software is a tad bit awkward at the start but if you just take your time and you'll get to understand how to use it.
the software comes with a tutorial dvd to get you started aswell.

if you consider yourself as a nerd then anything technical is just childs play.

i'm glad i invested in this HD software.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
This software works very poorly on my dual core 2Ghz 4gb Ram computer. Read the minimum system requirements and the recommended system notes on the box and multiply by a factor of lots and lots. It is disingenuous of Sony to say the least to imply that it will work in any satisfactory way with a less than very powerful computer in my opinion. I have given up on it.

Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC)
Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock