5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10
Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC)

I never used to really rate Sony Vegas as a serious editing application. I just couldn't get to like the interface.
Published on 13 Jun 2010 by R. C. Davies-Rollinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Steep learning curve
Published on 21 Nov 2010 by Underwater Photographer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10, 13 Jun 2010
R. C. Davies-Rollinson (Cymru / Wales) - See all my reviews
Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC)

The one big thing in its favour however was its stability. Whatever video file system you would throw at it, it managed somehow to play it. After having had some trouble editing HD material with Premiere Pro as well as Premiere Elements (mostly due to my PC's specs -albeit a Quad Core), I recently downloaded a trial of Movie Studio version 9b. The results were amazing compared to the Adobe experience. I liked it so much, I bought the programme!
A few days ago, I received a notification of an update to version 10 which I then downloaded.
What a transformation. The interface is now looking like a standard NLE, with a "proper" source monitor pane instead of the horrible Trimmer window. The desktop colour has been darked and is reminiscent of Final Cut Pro. There are more rendering choices with more customisable option... I could go on.
Suffice to say that instead of having to spend a lot of money on a PC upgrade to an i7 in order to run Premiere, I am more than happy to stick with this new version of Sony Vegas and actually get on and enjoy my editing - without waiting for the machine to crash or lock up.
Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded from Studio 9 - Really Pleased, 11 Aug 2010
Boing (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
I was able to upgrade from Studio 9 Platinum to the full Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite for a mere 45 (which at time of release was about half price). This included full installations of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10, DVD Architect Studio 5, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, the new Vocal Remover plugin for Sound Forge, 400 soundtracks, 1000 sound effects, and the latest New Blue installation. I could hardly believe it.

Studio 9 had been repeatedly crashing whenever I tried to render a 25 minute video to hard drive in full HD. Immediately after installing Studio 10 I tried again, and it worked. It is also rendering much faster than version 9. This version now gives you more control over rendering, letting you choose how many rendering threads you want the processors to be given, and how much memory to allocate to rendering. It also supports hardware rendering on graphics cards that are CUDA-enabled. Although let's be honest, if you can afford a really good CUDA-capable graphics card you will probably be investing quite a lot more in your editing and production software...

I use the CUDA-enabled Nvidia GeForce GTX285 card, which I was very fortunate to find as Dell surplus. This is a baby card in terms of the entire CUDA range, but even so rendering an HD test clip with multiple video layers took 177 seconds on the GPU as opposed to 212 seconds using only the CPU (which has six 3.2GHz cores, so it's not like it drags its heels). This is a 17% reduction in rendering time which is definitely at the more satisfactory end of the 5-20% improvement that Sony say you can expect with hardware rendering.

The format templates are more considered than they were in version 9, with better support for AVC/AAC that smacks of a realisation from Sony that many people using their software intend their output for the web. Unfortunately there is still no support for 4K video (which Youtube recently and inexplicably decided to support); this remains in the remit of the Pro package. Looks-wise this version has a darker interface with a new Trimmer panel that replaces the frightful tab in the objects panel. It also now supports 10 audio channels and 10 video channels rather than the frankly miserable 4 channels that version 9 gave you.

There are some added features in Studio 10 that the blurb on Amazon doesn't mention as being new. For example we now have image stabilisation, key-framing, white balance and secondary colour correction plugins, source media adjustments, integrated DVD/Blu-ray burning, "match event length" for media generators, support for 23.979 fps (IVTC), and many more tweaks and improvements. Note that the maximum frame rate that it will support for full HD renders is 100fps.

The included DVD ARCHITECT STUDIO 5 sort of takes the Powerpoint approach to making DVDs. If you want to put together a disc with features like "Play All", "Chapter Selection", "Extras", and animated menu backgrounds etc, then you might experience some frustration. It does get the job done, but its interface and naming conventions are sloppily conceived, unfriendly, and at times baffling. I managed to make a working disc after producing only one coaster, but it required a lot more poking about in menus and object properties than was really necessary. Compared to Adobe Encore, Architect Studio is a bit of a lame duck; however it has to be said that they ARE at opposite ends of the market.

From a cursory glance it does not look like much has changed in SOUND FORGE AUDIO STUDIO 10. The most obvious change is the addition of the Vocal Eraser tool. This allows you to remove or isolate vocals, and my initial experiments managed to produce good results. It seems to be much better at removing the vocals and leaving the music than doing the reverse.

The collection of 400 FREE SOUNDTRACKS that Sony provides - as you might have guessed - comprises a number of variations of only 23 pieces of music. You get four or five versions of each track, in 15, 30, 60 and 180 second incarnations.

The FREE SOUND EFFECTS collection is actually surprisingly good. It's nowhere near the quality of Sony's pro collection, which provides very useful effects in high quality and different formats, but it is comprehensive enough to allow you to add adequate sound effects to most projects. The one issue I have with this collection (and others) is that the effects in the "Horror" and "Sci-fi" folders are fairly cheesy.

So far this package has run smoothly and without problems on my machine. It's running more efficiently than version 9 did, with fewer problems. Amazingly even though this software has only been on shelves for a few months at the time of writing, the "known issues" list has six items on it, three of which are not issues at all, and the remainder of which fall squarely in the "so what?" category.

I will be returning to edit this review if I find any issues, but for the moment I am very happy indeed. Sony may have tarnished their reputation with consumers during the whole root-kit escapade, but they are really getting their act together when it comes to creative software.

**** Edit 01/03/2011 ****
I see a lot of people complaining this won't run on their computer. Please note I'm using a six-core processor with Win7 64-bit and 16GB of RAM, which is likely why I'm not having any problems. I would advise taking the recommended specification as if it were the minimum specification, and if you want to edit HD footage you WILL need a computer architecture that has been designed to support such a heavy task. If your computer was bought "off the rack" prior to 2010, forget about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up from an Ex broadcast Engineer, 21 Sep 2011
Rick (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
Some History...
I come from a time when 3 machine linear editing was done with 2 inch quadruplex machines (Ampex VR 2000) and later 1 inch and smaller formats, the video editor hardware was just a machine controller which placed the machines at a parking point, started them in an order such that the edit points all lined up and the job was done... with some skill from the human person who added the artistry.

If you smile at the term "Carding out", you are from the 2 inch era. Hi Guys.
If not, ask and I will explain.

The SONY Vegas Movie Studio HD platinum package is clearly derived from the time of SONY Broadcast Editors and BVW800 video machines.
I left Broadcasting before the digital revolution.

The Review...
The package under review is more than you will ever want.
I managed to create a more than satisfactory package using simple cut edits without even looking at a manual.
A sign that software is intuitive is that IF the first thing you need to do is read the manual, forget it !
The tutorial Video supplied on the disk is interesting to watch though a bit frantic.

Once you have mastered cut edits, which the software makes very easy, you wonder, as I did, how to run a continuous audio track from a piece of footage, say of background birds or something, but ignore the associated video which may or may not be of use later.

Sadly, the manual does not refer to such terms as "Audio early" edits, and "Video Only" (A useful tool) is missing as a direct action BUT, all was not lost because, after some tinkering, and tinkering is the best way to learn, I discovered that you can take, say, a piece that has the required AUDIO with its (unwanted at the time, VIDEO), and move the VIDEO to another track which you can MUTE, making it invisible to the act of compiling the final piece.
This has the effect of creating your background wild track audio over which you can lay VIDEO only using the same technique of moving the associated unwanted audio to another track and muting that too.

In effect, you can create your piece using say, a music track from a CD, and laying the required video from any number of other sources, just keep adding new video tracks as required.

I suggest moving the unwanted audio and video elsewhere so that you are not confused with alternate tracks of wanted and muted material, These you can scroll off the top and just concentrate on the tracks you need.

Another effect I wanted but found no reference in the manual was to create a still frame at the end of the last piece and then fade to black.
The 'trick, is to edit the video up to the last wanted frame and remove the rest; copy the last image as a still picture, paste it in a video track then drag the edge of the single frame for as much as you want to create, say 10 seconds of still frame.
Then, you can simply fade that to black.

All in all, I find this software, though more complex that Microsoft movie maker, to be head and shoulders above any other package I have seen and been willing to pay money for.
Just because it is expensive doesn't make it good, likewise, this software, being considerable cheaper than some, is certainly up there with the best of the professional engines.

A VERY useful tweak is to be able to select numerous video formats for the final edit.
As this can take some time, the software will use the graphics engines of an NVIDEA card and greatly speed up the whole process.
You can select a small piece of the final edit and JUST convert that piece which you can view elsewhere if needs be to ensure it is watchable.
It will also give you an idea of the total compilation time.

I use MP4 video as a personal preference but always save the final edit in the same format as the original, so, from my Panasonic camera, I edit the M2TS streams and compile a final M2TS edit then an MP4.
M2TS is great if you have a PC that rocks or a media player with hardware acceleration.
Anything less and you will see "Stutter-Vision".
Remember that not all video formats are the same so IF you are sending a PAL video to your mate in the USA and are trying to create a 525 NTSC DVD to play on a US DVD player... The results may be unpredictable if you cannot recreate the playback hardware locally to check the final result.
You will burn a few coasters though that is not the fault of the software.

My PC system?
A dual core, XPS machine with a 3800 (?) Radeon ATi card and two 19 inch screens.

Off Review Final Comments.
One final word which is 'off review' but relevant in my experience with newbie editors.
Watch commercial movies carefully and analyse the subtleties of the editing.

Audio does not need to cut at the same time as the video and can be a useful 'lead in' tool to preset the next scene... A man is seen walking escorted into a police station, the AUDIO then begins with the interrogation scene and then a second or two later, the VIDEO cuts to the scene to match the audio.
Your brain is happy to accept the time compression rather that cutting from the steps of the station to a room and lots of chat.

On your video of a birthday, try going to the "happy birthday" song audio before cutting to the candles and the cake... It makes a package more interesting than just bang, bang, bang, cut, cut, cut.

Lastly on the advice front.... (definitely off review)
This editing software has a Brazilian video effects but there is no law in editing that says you have to use them all, or any.
A mistake newbie editors make is to show off the editor, not the material.
Mixes, cuts and wipes perform a different task and are sometimes not interchangeable.
Choose an effect, be it a cut or a wipe and use it and only those you need. (less IS more)

NEVER cut on a pan, if you HAVE to, use a curtain wipe in the direction of the pan (at the same speed and with a soft edge) and, if you PLAN the video, the next scene MAY be a pan in the same direction so the viewer doesn't say "What the hell was that"?.

Oddly enough, your eyes and brain will scream abuse at you if you abuse them with jangley colour zapping flash bang effects that do not make sense.
Name ANY block buster film with coloured jaggey wizzo curtain wipes and I will eat my own kidney.

Planning a video means taking 4 to 10 times more material than you will use.
IF you zoom IN to an object, also, zoom OUT, likewise left to right pans of a scene should have the corresponding right to left pan.
NEVER NEVER NEVER reverse video to reverse a pan or a zoom. The technical reasons are too numerous for a this review BUT it looks pants and I have lost count of the backwards fire, water, and waving flags AND eye blinks that do not work backwards.. trust me. Once you know they are there, that is all you can see.

ALWAYS take an audio wild track with an out of focus (if your camera lets you) image so you can SEE that this is an audio track and not a rubbish bit of camera work. A Wild track is useful to fill in gaps and to replace audio that the correct video may not have.

A cut is how we see the world, the use of a MIX or a WIPE usually infers a change of PLACE or TIME.
By all means MIX or WIPE from someone opening a present to the next scene of them using it.
A CUT in this instance will look odd and you MAY wonder why... It is because you are confused but you do not know why... It is because the CUT has suddenly presented your brain with two scenes that are clearly some time apart BUT... and here is the clever bit... try an AUDIO EARLY edit at this point to the sound of say, your child playing with his model helicopter whilst the VIDEO shows him (or her) opening it, before you cut to the video and associated sound, and your brain is happy because the Audio early has prepared your subconscious for a time shift.

Editing is more about the science of psychology than just joining images together.

As homework, I want you to watch the next feature film or DECENT TV program, that portrays a time longer than the playing time of the film and extract the editing tweaks to fully appreciate the editors art.
LISTEN to the audio too. Note how music and the lack of it sets the scene.. Are you scared?, it must be the music because you haven't seen the monster yet... get the idea?

By the way... I am not and have never been employed as a video editor.
I do not work for SONY, only the BBC and ITN as an Engineer (repairing the kit).
I have worked with some VERY clever editors though who make it look easy.

Remember... your edited masterpiece may be someone elses idea of torture. Make it interesting and happy editing.
Rick

5.0 out of 5 stars The best video editing software I've used, 6 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
I have used many different video editing software, but Sony Vegas Movie Studio is the best so far.

I haven't used Pinnacle Studio for many years now but the last time I did it was very unstable. Ulead VideoStudio lacked many features I needed, but was very stable. Then I found Premiere Elements which had many advanced features and worked well for a while. However it turned out to work as long as you only edited SD material. When I stared to make more advanced editing with HD material the software would crash when I tried to add file. When opening a project the software would show error messages and use over 2 GB of RAM.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio has all the features I need and is very stable. It has only crashed a few times (and most of the times it was my own fault). The performance is really good and the software mostly uses around 100-200 MB of RAM. It took a while to get used to the interface but now I love it. Sony Vegas is really powerful with lots of advanced features; the color correction filters are really useful. For the price this software is a real bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars You simply cannot go wrong with this editor!, 12 Aug 2010
Alan Smith (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
As I have used many different NLEs I can safely say that Sony Movie Studio/Vegas are hands down the best. I bought Movie Studio HD 10 two weeks ago and I have not looked back. I will upgrade to Vegas 9 when I have the money for sure! You get the movie studio, dvd architect, sound forge studio 10 and over a thousand sound FX and royalty free songs on the disc. what more can you ask for for this price?? I use HD footage and every other program I used bar the Sony products were a nightmare with HD clips. Particularly adobe after effects and premiere pro. They lack the MJPEG codec that my DSLR camera uses. Although I managed to find the right codecs the whole effort of it put me off completely and even then they were quite unstable with the HD footage. Sony Studio played them effortlessly straight off the bat no questions asked, it was such a relief. It is also far easier to use and understand. Complexities do not exist in this program. Only thing it cannot do, which is by no means a complaint, is that it does not have mask and compositing features like Vegas 9. Other than that its great. I run it on a 4 year old 32bit laptop, 1.66ghz, 2gb ram and it doesn't blink. Top marks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than premiere elements, 27 July 2010
Rebecca Davis (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
I've only had this a day so far, but from a quick play around with the basic functions of moving clips around, splitting them, etc, and of changing audio levels, and of time stretching/compressing, this package is SO much more intuitive than Adobe premiere elements which I have been using for over 5 years now. They also appear to be more video effects - all the ones from Premiere plus a healthy splatter of others. Audio effects are there too, but the package also comes with Sound Forge Audio which will enable more to be done. There is also NewblueFX audio and video effects to install to further compliment the basic ones you get within the movie editing package. So far it's two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly capable video editing & DVD authoring suite, 24 Dec 2010
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
Until recently I had been using Adobe Premier Elements, which although producing good results has never been particularly stable resulting in constant system crashes & hang ups. On upgrading to Windows 7 I decided to look for a better video editing suite and after downloaded the free trial settled on Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite. Whilst it doesn't have all of the functionality of Premier Elements it has so far proved to be a much more stable and usable program. I particularly like the fact that the video editing and the DVD production are handled by different modules which gives the option to produce different DVD versions of the same piece of video without the need to re-render the original video as in Premier Elements. Whilst it takes a while to fully understand the way the program works it is well worth it in the end and I would highly recommend this product, particulary at the current price.

4.0 out of 5 stars good editor but still flawed., 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
i upgraded from movie studio9 to this.
the whole package remains and looks the same , ( including the same known bugs ) , but you get some added effects and a sound editor.

seriously , sony need to sort out the known problems for this editor. im tired of my projects failing to render for no apparent reason.
other than that , its good and i still reccomend it , but you need to be an advanced pc user to get around some of the
problems and glitches this program coughs up at times.

using the editor to edit and make great movies = easy.
trouble shooting problems = annoying and time consuming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi Def for the masses, 21 Aug 2010
P. L. Allum (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
Had played around with version 9 of this program (trial) and was deciding whether to buy or not. Glad I didn't, this version (10) is a complete suite is fantastic. I wanted it for High Def from a Panasonic Video Camera (AVCHD) and it works flawlessly. It's rock stable, DVD Architech is included plus Audio Studio, what more do you need. I already had Sony Cinescore and this integrates seemlessly into it. Admittantly in Hi Def it can take a while to render but the results are incredible. Even if you down render to DVD quality I found the results to be a higher quality than if I had recorded at DVD quality, so I film everything in Hi Def regardless whether I need hi Def or not. The price is a steal, would thoroughly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Steep learning curve, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) (Software)
I bought this product having previously used several versions of pinnacle studio and also Adobe Premier Elements. Vegas was highly reviewed and reasonably priced, I had just got an HD camera and so I took the plunge. It's early days yet, but even with my previous experience of video editing (or should that be *because* of my experience with other packages?), I have struggled a bit to work out how to do things with Vegas (and I say this as someone who considers himself pretty competent and experienced with PC software). The Platinum suite comes with several separate modules which have to be installed individually and also activated online separately and this is pretty tedious; I am still struggling with certain module and Sony's byzantine online help system.

On the plus side, this is a very capable piece of software and there are lots of help videos (both in the software and on sites like YouTube) and it even runs OK on my three year old laptop (1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM running Win7).

Am I glad I chose Vegas, instead of Pinnacle or Adobe? Time will tell- it's capable but quirky software with a low system requirement and I hope that we can grow to love one another....

Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC)
Sony Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum Suite (PC) by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock