1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Not comparable to Lego, and not really a 'toy', 28 Mar 2012
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nanoblock Kinkakuji Temple (Toy)
I've been curious about nanoblocks ever since I saw them while shopping for a Lego present for my nephew. At the time I felt that they looked too complex for a 6yr old and wished I could justify buying a set for myself.

Well, I eventually broke down and ordered this model of the Kinkakuji Temple, and I'm really pleased both the finished product and the experience of building it.

Things to note about Nanoblocks:

-As implied by their name, they're absolutely tiny. You probably don't have a ruler to hand (I do, unfortunately) but try and imagine Lego scaled down and flattened to little more than 4mm. I ended up thinking of them more as chunky pixels than blocks.
-This model is just a little bigger than your average mug coaster in perimeter, so it will comfortably fit on bookshelves, desks, wherever else you might want to put it.
-The blocks don't snap on as tightly as lego, and they may shift a tiny bit if you're not careful. I think this is actually part of the design, since being able to slide the blocks somewhat is integral to creating the trees and the crest at the top of the building.

I reiterate, this isn't really a toy, well, not a toy for kids under maybe 8-9. It's a fun diversion for adults who miss Lego, people with an interest in the architecture shown in the model, and people who like cute, small things.

Nanoblock Kinkakuji Temple