Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£5.65+ £1.26 shipping

on 13 November 2010
I really can't understand the drubbing this movie has taken from the so called professional critics. All that I can think is that they are so prejudice against Efron due to his past Disney credentials, that they don't want to give him the credit for being a 'real actor' or consider him in any film that breaks him from the Disney High School Musical mold.

I have to admit that when I heard some of the reviews for this film I had few expectations for it. How wrong could I be. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Never did I clock watch, become bored or fidget in my seat. It kept me constantly involved and engaged me to the point I wanted to go to the cinema to see it again. When it comes out on DVD it will definitely be a must have buy for me. This film shows Efron is not just a 'pretty boy' teenage pin up with little to recommend him. He is a talented performer who just happens to be able to sing as well as act and act well. Please don't be swayed by the so called critics who demand art house complexity in order to praise a movie. Please put away any High School Musical bias you may have and watch it for yourself, you may be surprised how much you enjoy it.
on 9 January 2011
The critics were harsh regarding this film, but as other reviews say: see this for yourself!

Charlie St. Cloud is a 2010 romantic drama film based on Ben Sherwood's best-selling novel. The film is directed by Burr Steers and stars Zac Efron and Amanda Crew.

Charlie St. Cloud (Zac Efron) is a sailor who wins a professional boating race on his sailboat, the "Splendid Splinter", along with his younger brother Sam (Charlie Tahan).

Later that night, Charlie is supposed to go to a graduation party with his friends, but his mother Claire (Kim Basinger) makes him babysit Sam. Charlie tries to sneak out and go to the party. But, he is caught by Sam, and Sam asks Charlie to drive him to his friend Tommy's house. On the way, they are involved in an accident and Sam dies. Charlie then makes a discovery: he can talk to the dead (and pretty much hang out with them, including his dead brother)

Five years later, Charlie, who gave up his scholarship and mournful over Sam's loss, is now caretaker at Waterside Cemetery, where he and Sam can be 'together'.

During a trip into town, Charlie visits the boat docks and meets Tess Carroll (Amanda Crew), a sailor who dreams of one day sailing around the world. Charlie has the hots for Tess, as she does for him.

Giving away more would be wrong, but Charlie has to face a choice between his vigil for the dead Sam, or real life and a shot at love. Herein, perhaps an implicit message lies for many of us: learn to let go of the past, and embrace and live your life fully, in all its imperfections.

Never corny or silly, this movie weaves its charm well. A major factor is the two leads, who are not only extraordinarily beautiful, but can also act. I loved Zac Efron after 'Me and Orson Wells', and newcomer Amanda Crew shines too.

Highly recommended.
44 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2016
What a wonderful film!! so moving and so well written!! Zac does a excellent job in this film!!!! Its a film full of love and quite comforting to see that no matter what journey you take in life when you loose someone it will work out in the end - it gives you hope!!!
a must watch :)
on 16 September 2012
This is a film that could have been poignant; however, it becomes one that tries to be too sentimental and loses any sensible storyline less than twenty minutes in. I actually thought Efron's performance as Charlie was quite good. Unfortunately, the script, dialogue and poorly written flashbacks drag the movie and the message it is trying to convey, downhill. It seemed stretched and uncomfortable, particularly as the majority of the supporting cast were fairly poor - Augustus Prew was especially cringeworthy as Charlie's British friend.
Zac Efron gives a sense of what Charlie is feeling after the loss of his brother. However, the cheesy pop tunes and unnatural actions from the rest of the cast detract from this performance. To sum it up, Zac Efron's performance actually saved this film from being worthy of one star - and I didn't expect to be saying that.
on 20 February 2015
I have to be honest I really wasn't expecting much from this film but I was really pleasantly surprised; it had me in tears so much, such a simple but beautiful story! And it's funny that I say that because Zac Efron isn't as talented as I thought he was but the way this movie was produced was so good it really moved me - I definately recommend this film
on 24 May 2015
Great film. He is such a great actor and it was so sad, funny and touching. Perfect.
on 20 September 2015
Real good film I am a fan of efron anyway, think he has really broken from the Disney past well, and has released some solid films this is another. And if u have a little brother (like me) it has a bit of extra meaning, good film good acting I'd advice most efron films, he is a genuinely good actor.
on 19 April 2014
The story line is good even though parts are predictable it will still keep you gripped to see what happens. There is some chuckle moments in this film even though sometimes these try a bit to hard. The acting is good and the characters are easy to relate to. Would recommend watching.
on 5 February 2015
Was surprised by this film - I expected it to be bland butthought I would give it a chance - it is strangely gripping and I really enjoyed it - some very good plot twists - only reason it doesnt get 5 stars is a couple of points in the movie are there just to make the ending - they don't match the rest of the movie
on 27 February 2015
A truly beautiful story about, as it says, In life you have to live, love and then let go. Zac Effron is very good in the part of an older brother and his much loved younger sibling, in a sweet story which should have one in tears by the end. See it and enjoy every moment,and love it as I did.