Format: DVDChange

on 19 March 2013
O.k. this is my review so be gentle. I have read some of the bad reviews on here and to be honest I can see where they are coming from. The film is never going to be nominated for oscars. However, what it does have is a pretty good plot line, which moves along at a reasonable pace after a slow start. The characters that you are meant to feel sympathy with you do and vice versa. I kept watching just because I wanted to know what was going on and why. As I say no oscar winner but I did enjoy it. I would say the review that amazon give is somewhat misleading as to the actual storyline though. Also not really sure that the character Danny Dyer plays could not have been played by an unknown equally well.
**** WARNING: Big Fat Spoilers Ahead! ****

After the opening few minutes I thought The Last Seven would be something truly special. Sure, the deserted post-apocalyptic London backdrop owed more than a little to 28 Days Later, but this film seemed to be developing a creepy atmosphere all of its own. That is, until the rather heavy-handed direction and laboured script threatened to swamp things. The characters were all rather cliché'd, from the salt-of-the Earth squaddie geezer, the little girl lost, the reluctant captain, the mysterious foreign girl, the religious nutter, the terminally hammy posh guy and our podgy and bewildered hero. Oh and the least said about Danny Dyer as the most laboured metaphor for the Angel of Death ever seen, the better.

OK, onto the plot. So I'm sure most of us will have surmised that this is no dirty bomb aftermath and something supernatural is going on (well London can be purgatory at times, n'est-ce pas?) and things seem to fall into place with the flashbacks revealing that Isaac (Ronan Vibert of Borgias fame) turned suicide-bomber to revenge a government cover-up over the bodged rescue attempt of his hostage daughter. So far so good and it's all reasonably compelling and intriguing for most of the film, but wtf did that ending mean? Are they all in limbo? Why did only Chloe survive? (Or did she?). Sorry, but that Triangle-like time loop tacked on to the end just struck me as a twist too far and which made no sense whatsoever.

At least posh but sinister government honcho Henry (John Mawson) gets to utter the great one-liner "A simple allons-y would have sufficed".

As for the Blu-ray presentation, well it's not that great. Picture quality is generally grainy and little appreciable use is made of surround sound. The 'Making Of' feature is annoyingly self-congratulatory too.

Overall, just about worth watching for some genuinely striking shots of the deserted city and for making the viewer think about what's going on but, if anyone else out there can make more sense of that bizarre ending than me, I would love to hear from you so please post a comment after my review!
on 6 March 2011
It starts off promising, continues interesting, but as the end approaches, it goes downhill precipitately and falls right off the edge, into complete, meaningless piffle. An awful mishmash of a film that makes no sense. I don't know what the director was drinking and/or smoking at the time, but he should stop it at once.
on 14 July 2012
The Last Seven is a 2010 low-budget, seemingly post-apocalyptic British horror helmed by Imran Naqvi and starring Tamer Hassan and the perenially awful Danny Dyer. I don't want to ruin it for you, after all, this is a review and not a spoilerfest! The Last Seven is very much a character-driven flick punctuated with moments of fairly graphic horror.

Initially, I had suspected that I was going to be watching some kind of bastard offspring of 28 Days Later and any generic serial killer flick. This was most definitely not the case. The Last Seven, despite its reported budget of £1.2 million, does not feel like a low-budget movie. Centring on and developing the seven characters of the title among the abandoned streets of London allows the viewer to become more immersed in the story than your average horror flick and I felt that the mechanics behind the plot resembled that of the ever-popular An Inspector Calls.

Tamer Hassan is convincing as military man Sgt Jack Mason and I am of the opinion that it will only be a matter of time before this man moves on to much bigger and better things. Strong as the rest of the cast are, they are effectively dwarfed by Hassan's turn as Mason. In fairness to the remaining six of the seven of the title, they all put in solid performances as amnesiac survivors, trying to piece together what has happened to them and make sense of the situation they find themselves in.

The Last Seven fits nicely into its 84 minute running time and at no point does it feel laboured or conversely, rushed. There is a lack of soundtrack generally but I would suggest that this simply adds to the overall feel of the movie and the bleak tone set from the beginning.

Unfortunately for The Last Seven, it's got Danny Dyer in it and not only that, he's fairly central to the plot. On the plus side, he doesn't get much screen time or indeed dialogue. Bonus! Setting aside my own dislike for Dyer, I feel that The Last Seven has suffered unfairly at the hands of critics due to the inclusion of Dyer.

Dyer's time as the darling of mockney gangster/ London underworld movies is over. His fall from grace accelerated by his ill-conceived comments in a UK lads mag about perpetrating violence against women has made him regular cannon-fodder for movie critics and tabloids alike. Despite the inclusion of Dyer, I would invite you to give this clever little British horror a chance; I did and I certainly do not regret it.
on 18 August 2014
so... arh.... what can say about this one... I was gripped by the
cinema photography.... the shots of a deserted London, are
amazing... It's like a 1980s arty-farty student film.... but a good student
movie... it is a strange one this... but it all makes sense at the end...

Danny Dryer, is hardly in it... but has an important role... I don't
want to give the plot away... because it is quite a good idea...
This is a movie, you want to watch late at night, as it is slow paced.
I could tell you it's bad points, but, I enjoyed the film too much for that.
Look... this movie isn't as bad, as most British films like this... but I have
to have a moan about the "so-called" British Film Industry... this
movie has over 30 PRODUCERS! 30! In one capacity or another... and.
32 PRODUCTION ASSISTANTS! ... 32! I counted them... that is 32
people doing what?... working for free that's what... a film is never
gonna make money, with 30 producers...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2011
Very poor sound quality, only came out of one speaker and would not turn up loud enough to hear clearly, I have returned this item so waiting to see how long that takes to sort out.
on 20 June 2011
I am a Danny Dyer fan, but this has got to be one of the worst films I have seen. Ever. Stay clear. Get Doghouse instead.
on 5 June 2011
This film is truly awful, no one should be allowed to produce such rubbish. It has left my mind full of questions that will never be answered.
Danny Dyer could have been anyone, you don't even recognise him.
Never buy or rent this film!
on 9 November 2014
Not much i want to say but this was the most boring film i have ever seen with a story so confusing it makes Inception look easy to follow in comparison.
The acting is very hammy and nothing much happens till the end and even then you have no idea what it was all about really.
A dreadful Brit movie and even Danny Dyer deserves better to be honest.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 November 2011
I don't know whether it's because I live near London and go there regularly, but when I saw the opening sequence to 28 Days Later (depicting Cillian Murphy wandering, helpless, through the deserted streets of London), it kind of creeped me out. However, that was in 2004. Since then I have seen a fair few different characters wandering through empty cities and, I have to say, it's kind of losing its impact.

Cillian seemed helpless and afraid, yet, in The Last Seven, we're treated to a tubby cockney bloke with too much stubble, wandering London's streets for a massive FIFTEEN minutes. This film is only 1 hour 20 minutes and the first fifteen of these are spent watching him walk about a bit.

In 28 Days Later, Cillian seemed to know something was wrong and be careful, this guy seems to think that the whole of the city are just doing it to annoy him and he makes as much noise as possible, shouting and smashing things up trying to get attention (it was at this point I prayed there were `Infected' humans about to pounce on him and rip him apart).

Anyway, finally he meets others. Now we have seven humans wandering the streets not knowing what's going on. But, these aren't just ANY seven people - they're possible the worst seven actors left on the planet. Seriously, I'm not that bothered by a bit of hammy acting (hey, I love William Shatner - that's how much I don't care about bad acting), but this lot were awful Every line delivered like a six year old acting in their nativity play.

I only rented this title because of Danny Dyer (who we know CAN act - if he can be bothered). In that same was as if you put a million monkeys in front of a million typewriters, they'll eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare, I figured that if I watch enough Danny Dyer movies, I'll finally find one that's good (or nearly as good as The Football Factory or the Business). However, Danny is only in this for mere seconds here and there.

Sorry, but, try as this film does to be creepy, it's just c**p.

Danny Dyer - get another agent.