5.0 out of 5 stars Its me momma
When I read the back of DVD for this film, I thought it was interesting but maybe not going to be one of my top 10 psych films. However, when I started watching it I soon changed my mind. It is well acted and has many twists and turns to it. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, makes a convincing patient and he is able to change his character with ease, making it more convincing...
Published on 28 Aug 2010 by law geek

3.0 out of 5 stars Delivers, but not as promised
'Shelter' is a horror mystery-thriller that released theatrically in 2010 to mixed reviews. The box-office returns are not worth mentioning.

The movie tells the story of Adam (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) who has multiple personalities. He then gets examined by a psychiatrist (Julianne Moore) who makes a terrifying discovery and starts to uncover a shocking...
Published on 4 Aug 2010 by Mitun

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome film, highly recommended if fan of supernatural films etc, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
The film kept my attention & left me not knowing the reason of the condition, well worth a watch, I'm a huge all things supernatural & for me this is 1 of few that didn't disappoint.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound Absolutely Awful, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
I agree with the other reviewer on here over the issue of poor sound on this dvd, with volume on full still cannot hear any of the dialogue.

But a quality little film with fabulous acting from Jonathan Rhys Myers and Julianne Moore.

Just a shame sound spoils this film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, just not good., 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
This movie started out promising, seemed interesting and nice scenery, but then it got sci-fi and looked like a child's movie. It was not good, don't waste your time and money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Silent version, 18 Mar 2012
M. F. Roach "Polyglot" (Oviedo, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
I was delighted to receive this DVD which I had long wanted. The disc runs smooothly no hitches, clear pictures but INAUDIBLE. I found I could listen perfectly to the special features, interviews with Julianna Moore, Jonathan Rhys Meyer but for the soundtrack of the film one had to be able to lip read or, as I did, use the subtitles. When it came to subtitles such as " sound of dog barking" I must admit I was tempted to throw back my head and howl.Shelter [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this film by myself late one nigth which may have added to me being over scared but I realy enjoyed the film, had to fast forward some bits that were a bit creepy but all in all a good story line. It's not over the top scary but a good one to watch. The bloke in it is yum!

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray Shelter, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: Shelter [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Purchased this Movie because my wife loves Mr Meyer's from Tudor's.
This is a good tale of the science in psychology and God.The film takes you on a trip with Jonathan Rhys Meyer's at the wheel. This is a good film to see.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over produced and not scary, 12 Oct 2011
S. Haddow - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
SLIGHT SPOILERS I can see whty Jonathan Rhys Meyer was attracted to his part in the movie, he gets to flex his acting chops in a range of parts all bundled into one - but overall the film never finds a consistant tone - quasi-psychological, quasi-horror with a further jumble of elements that detract from any attempt to build tension. The cinematography is well done - but it all looks too 'professional' - I don't get the feeling that anyone involved really watches horror movies in their spare time, or that there's anything other than a workman-like approach to movie building here. There's nothing scary about this. I can forgive a movie for having a plot that I've seen done before many times if it's clear that someone understands that anyone watching a horror movie is there to be scared or at least made deeply uneasy. Apart from a couple of purely mechanical jump moments, there was nothing here that got under my skin in any way and the part of the story that seemed to recieve the most attention was the 'drama' which unfortunately came across as being every bit as hackneyed and by the numbers as the rest. The soundtrack is equally uninspired - generic and bombastic - cookie cutter music for a cookie cutter film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Psychological/Thriller/Religious/Supernatural/Voodoo/Horror - This Movie has Multiple Personalities, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
Cara is a psychiatrist. She takes on one of her father's patients Adam, and tries to help find out why he is presenting with multiple personalities, all of which are actual murder victims. The entire movie has a multiple personality disorder, it starts out as one thing and ends up in a different genre altogether.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers was the perfect choice for this role, and Julianne Moore plays the Psychologist-with-Daddy-issues role really well. The film bounces along at a nice steady pace for the first hour, slowly revealing more and more to the audience. It's when you get to the second half, that the whole thing goes a bit Pete Tong. I don't know what I expected, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but if you're enjoying it as a psychological thriller like I was, then you'll no doubt be equally disappointed for just about every scene after we first see the scary old woman.

It comes as no surprise to learn that Michael Cooney wrote both this and Identity [DVD], this movie initially reminded me of Identity. It's hard to even put a genre on this - the first half was standard psychological thriller, the second was rushed and overly reliant on supernatural shock tactics. It's by no means the worst movie ever made, but it's a long way off the best. Would I watch it again? I wouldn't switch it off, but I don't think I'd actively choose it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, creepy, well-acted but has a few plot holes, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
Once you get beyond the first 5 minutes, this film really takes off when Julianne Moore's psychiatrist visits 'David', played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. 'David' supposedly suffers from multiple personality disorder and viewers familiar with the thriller Primal Fear may be forgiven for thinking the film is heading in a similar direction. In fact, Shelter proves to be of a very different genre. It is creepy and suprising and will certainly appeal to fans of the X files. Most importantly, Rhys Meyer's schizophrenic performance blows Edward Norton's Oscar nominated turn in Primal Fear out of the water. Rhys Meyers is superb and the best thing about the movie.

The plot quickly thickens as Moore delves into her odd patient's history and consequently it takes about half an hour before the film is clear about the story it wants to tell. But because it is consistently engaging with several disturbing moments, it keeps the viewers attention.

Perhaps the film is a tad too long, it starts to run out of steam by the end, and it leaves the viewer with probably more questions than answers due to several gaping plot holes. Nevertheless, it still ends satisfactorily and it's an entertaining ride and one worth seeing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Psycological thriller, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Shelter [DVD] (DVD)
i did not expect this film to be so good, i found it thoroughly enjoyable, a good story-line a little bit different. all the cast very believable the acting done extremely well.There are many documented cases of multiple personalities, but this film branched off into another area incorperating a style of witchcraft, which at least gave you some explanation of what was happening and why. I recommend this as a very good and thoroughly watchable film.

Shelter [DVD]
Shelter [DVD] by Julianne Moore (DVD - 2010)
5.33