5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game
Published on 23 Mar. 2011 by Cattius

3.0 out of 5 stars I call foul....
This game originally had heaps of 1 star reviews because people generally seemed to hate Ubisoft's system whereby you must be connected to the internet to play the game. It's copyright enforcement and it seemed to annoy a lot of people (check the AC2 reviews, it was even worse back then).

It doesn't bother me because I'm always connected anyway but I can...
Published on 2 Dec. 2011 by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game, 23 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Well, what can I say; AC2 was incredible and this has somehow managed to improve on it. I was worried about two things when I bought it - first that the only playable area being Rome would feel restrictive, and second that it would feel too much like an expansion pack to AC2 rather than a fully-fledged game in its own right. Thankfully I have found neither of these to be problems. Rome is absolutely enormous, so it doesn't feel like you're trapped inside one area, and there are also other locations that crop up as you go through the memories such as Monteriggioni, Florence and Venice (Cristina memories) and the War Machine locations. As for the second, the interface and characters will certainly feel familiar if you've played AC2 so it's not quite AC3, but it contains enough content to seem far more than an expansion pack. Whilst the missions in AC2 were quite varied they have become even more so in Brotherhood: I'm not even halfway through the game yet and already I've fired cannons, driven a tank (yes, really), broken Caterina Sforza out of prison, fought a cult that dress as wolves and worship Romulus, recruited my own team of assassins...I could never list the huge amount of things there are to do. I haven't played the multiplayer much yet but what I have seen of it seems pretty good (I fail at it, but it's good fun anyway). The only problem I have found so far is one that's already been mentioned - sometimes you find yourself having to replay ten or fifteen minutes of gameplay because of dying a long time after the last checkpoint or because of failing to get 100% Synchronisation. This is annoying when it happens but it's still definitely worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars I call foul...., 2 Dec. 2011
Mike (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

It doesn't bother me because I'm always connected anyway but I can sympathise with the anger of someone that wants to play a single player game and has no internet connection. They can't play.

But that's not my point - my point is: where did all those 1 star reviews go? This game is MASSIVELY popular and has been out for 9 months, yet there are only 29 customer reviews? AC2 has 320 customer reviews.

Anyway this game is pretty good, graphics are awesome and there are more than enough things to do with your time in the world, but I can't give it a high rating because I get so frustrated with the game. The Ubisoft launcher constantly messes with my VPN and I do agree that it's absurd that a single player requires the internet. It's also stupidly easy, you just need to learn how to counter-attack, but that never stopped me enjoying the overall experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars assasssin's creed 2.2 (aka assassin's creed brotherhood), 10 Oct. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I would like to start this review by saying I never comment on time delivery unless there are really taking the mic. Nevertheless due to the amount of complains I saw here before I bought the game, I can't help to defend the vendor (iNetVideo in that case).

Yes the vendor operate in Canada so what!!!! the DVD is not region lock, if you are buying from this vendor it means you could not find cheaper at the moment you bought the game.

I paid that game very cheap £6.50 which also include £2.03 shipping fees. From the order it took 2 weeks to arrived so what's the big deal about being patient?
At the end of the day I managed to get a game very cheap, save £10 on average by being patient. The game arrived well packed and compare to the assassin's creed 2 game I brought in UK I had no just one but two quick start manual (in English and in French).

I won't go into the story of that game cause i would assume that you had played Assassin's creed 1 and/or 2 and i don't wanna spoil the fun. If you haven't play assassin's creed 2, I would strongly suggest to play it first otherwise you won't get that game.

One thing I noticed nearly straight away, is that when I played that game during the 1st hour. I have the feeling it was means to be with the orignal assassins creed 2 and ubisoft kind of stretch that game to make it on his own.

As far as the main plot goes you don't really learn major things which is also why that game feels like a filler for me, and i think that game was supposed to be included in the 2nd chapter. When you go over it, the game is really fun and there is plenty thing to do. I also like some of scenes of the game where it's a bit "holywoodish" and when Ezio's mum and sister become pimp. You can now train and improve your assassin skill via the virtual.

My only criticisms are that most of the action so far (i haven't beat the game yet) is just locate in Rome.Ezio is very hard to control some time. You can feel the game has been originally think as PS3/Xbox game. Oh yeah I nearly forgot the "capitalist" apsect of the game, what???? Yeah in order to built your bortherhoood you need cash, and to get more cash you need to make some investments (bank, building, shops) this for me is a bit of laid down even if it's justify.

Pro:
- graphics seems to be refine.
- plenty things to do.
- really fun and nice cliches will make you smile.

Cons:
- controller, like assassin's creed 2 ezio can be very difficult to control during free running or even fight.
- U play apps and that DRM which implies a constant internet connection.
- fell more a filler/add-ons than an actual game. you also need to have played assassin's creed 2, to really understand the game)
- don't reaally like the music in that game (prefer by far the one in assassin's creed 1 and 2)

One of the thing you must have hear about is the intrusive DRM. Well that one seems as intrusive as assasssin's creed 2. To be honest I did not have much problem with Assassin's creed bortherhood except when it took me age to install the game.

Again I did not encounter too much issue (U play crash after I exit from the game) while playing both games and I can't complain about it. i also have to say that before purchasing that game I had a workaround for the DRM and this for both Assassin's creed 2 and Assassin's bortherhood, but I never use them.

I run the game on mid/high-range setting and here my configuration:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 +
- Nvidia Geforce GT240 - 1 GB VRAM
- 6GB RAM DDR2
- Creative soundblaster Audigy 4
- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate edition
- Airflow controller/nostromno N52

Note: Make sure you have the latest graphic and audio driver. At the end of assassin's creed 2 and at the begining of that game. I did not have any sound for most of the game, it when I updated the drivers of my sound card and grahics card I have the sound back. it seems to be a commun issue which is easily solvable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD), 1 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Big fan of the first Assasins Creed, was let down by the second, was weary of Brotherhood but i took a chance & glad i did, if you have never played the Assasins Creed games you might be a bit lost on the back story but it does re cap slightly from were it left off on the sencond game as the first games story doesnt realy come into play as of yet, i hear it does in the fourth game yet to be made, you are character called Desmond Miles (set in our time) hooked up to a type of Virtual Reality machine called the Animus, it can read DNA from people a visualise their past in the form of memories stored deep within their DNA, Desmond was captured by a secret organisation which is hinted at to be descendents of the Templars, they found out that Desmond was from a long bloodline of Assasins, the Templars are looking for a lost artifact with imense power called the Piece of Eden, it was hidden by the Assasins to stop the Templars getting their hands on such power, after many years of searching they have yet to find it, hence Desmond & the Animus machine, they are hoping by probing Desmonds DNA they can find were the Assasins have hidden it, originaly you were re living the memories of a character called Altair & it was set in Jerusalem,(incredible & stunning game, get it if you dont own it already)

You are now re living a character called Ezio Auditore, a young nobleman from 1476 in Florence who you were in the second game as well, a quick re cap on the second game, at this stage you have been freed from the Templars & have been rescued by a small team of Assasins that have managed to remain unditected throughout history like the Templars untill now (our time) they have got themselves a type of Animus machine as they suspect the Templars are close to getting to the Piece of Eden & need to find it before they do, you realy start to feel for Desmond, the guys so messed up with all thats going on lol, he was just minding his own business as a Bar Tender originaly, every time Desmond re lives his familys memories he is starting to find that its changing his own DNA, he is developing skill he never had, its called the bleeding effect from being in the Animus,

Brotherhood is set around the city of Monteriggioni & Rome, a large open world game traveling from place to place & its absolutely stunning, its a third person game that relies on stealth as well as skilled combat, you & your family are trying to re build Rome to its former glory as you fight thru corruption & set things rite again, places & people you meet are historicaly acurate to a degree, time lines are off, a bit of developer artistic license there, lol, the excuse is that the Templars changed dates/times to cover there traces thruout history, lol, the gameplay is incredible, realy draws you in, i was a bit lost after completing it, i was sad that i had to return my mind to the real world, lol, graphics, sound & voice acting are superb as well, get this game, an absolute must

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not "that good", 15 May 2011
Martin Bahier - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This new episode of the Assassin's creed series is pretty good when you look at the storyline and the "playground" you've got (you can travel on rooftops using funky moves, you get to purchase some nifty toys like the "leap climbing" glove quite fast, there is and underground sewer network to travel fast ...).
On the other hand Ezio is still a pain to maneuver sometimes. The commonest problem that comes to my mind and that was already present on the second episode is that jumping to the platform in front of you is not always as easy as it seems, because if you enter the "free run node" like a half second too late, Ezio will drop on the ledge of his current platform (the jump doesn't take where the camera is pointing into account), so when you have a locked camera in a weird angle and have to make some funky diagonal jump it sometimes becomes a nightmare of frustration without many trial and error. Having a character that is supposed to be an assassin / "ninja" that can jump almost anywhere from anywhere but not being able to do so because of a combination of timing and camera positioning kind of defeats the purpose for me... But the points in the game that are made difficult because of that are not the majority.

Overall it's a very fun experience that allows you to see some of the most famous roman pieces of architecture (Coloseum, Pantheon, Castle Sant Angelo...), and perform missions in them which is always nice.

The "rebuild the assassin's guild" part is fun but as far as i've gotten I didn't have to call them as frequently as i'd have expected, their leveling up is a bit long at the beginning but when you already have 2 or 3 assassins, training new ones is a cakewalk.

When it comes to difficulty, if you want a little harder missions, don't forget to read the notes on how to accomplish full synchronization on the mission starting screen. Completing the missions without synch is almost never challenging untill you get quite far in the game and it's good training (the secondary objectives can be like "do not kill anyone", "don't use ranged weapons", "poison the target", "use your assassins to kill the target" ... which make s you play differently for a while and, fortunately, add moves or situation analysis to your own gameplay)

Overall this game uses the same recipe as the second AC and adds some stuff (new moves, assassins at your orders, weird "investment" system ...) but doesn't look like it has improved much on aspects like Ezio's control. It remains fun to play but for those who didn't play the second, I'd recommend going for it first : it's the same gameplay and it'll give you some background to understand what is happening in ACB or else it might seem cryptic sometimes, Brotherhood stacks up new features and some improvements but doesn't completely change the gameplay

4.0 out of 5 stars AC: Brotherhood, another sequel., 23 July 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I have played through the whole series on the PC, and I will definitely by the next one to come out, (Yes, sorry, there is another one). This is simply because I find the story line to the game fascinating.

In this one you are able to roam around a lot more freely I felt, with a variety of weapons that unlock through the game. Whether or not these additions were needed I don't know, as I tended to stick to the hidden blades and crossbow (Which was one of the best additions I thought!).

This game was a lot more about stealth, remaining undetected, which I thought to be a great improvement upon the others, as you could before just run in, jump off a ceiling and kill everything in your path. In some missions you weren't even allowed to kill anyone but the target, which was great fun and much more challenging! There's a lot more diversity in the missions I felt too, I mean, they are all still assassinations, but not just the same old same old assassinations like the first Assassin's Creed was.

Combat on horses change a lot of things too, especially when you're trying to face off a heap of guards with one of them on horseback, it made the game more challenging than it was previously.

With regards to some of the other reviews that have had negative comments, I feel strongly that they are giving this game a bad reputation for the following:
- 'Investment Options'
- 'Movement'

A lot have mentioned how they play this game to be an Assassin, not an investment banker. Well ... All you had to do was buy a few shops as you go around, usually ones that are CONVINIENT to your needs. For example, I bought a blacksmith and a doctor near where I was doing missions, so if I needed to between missions, I could repair and heal / buy potions. I feel this part of the game added something more, as I had more aims than just to complete the story, I wanted to do as much as possible, not just assassination after assassination, because that is just a small part of the game I feel.

Now with regards to the movement, people seem to say that when you try to control Ezio (Or Desmond?) that he runs around in the wrong direction, jumping off stuff he isn't meant too or that he generally does not do what you want him too. I, again, have to disagree, either they made a game totally different for me than what they had, or simply they just can not play the game (I don't want to seem harsh saying that). Yes, I agree, sometimes he doesn't do what I want him to, but that is my fault because I realise he can't jump Y amount of feet, he can only do X amount.

Multiplayer:
Well, this was something different to what I've ever experienced, in my first few games I loved it, then I started to get annoyed with this part, mainly due to other players though. In some game modes you get a target, while someone else has you as their target. You've got to try and kill as many of your targets as you can, being as stealthy as you can (killing innocent targets etc loses points). The annoying thing that most players would do was wait for you to kill, then WHILE you were doing your kill syncronization, they would kill you, as you can not do ANYTHING about it.

This would usually continuously happen, though not all the time I admit, but I found it a lot more apparent in matches the further ranked I became.

Overall a great game, great story, can't wait for the next one. I only rated 4 stars because I feel everything can always be improved, but it was 10 out of 10 fun wise for me.

Pros:
- Similar to the old games if you liked them
- But also adds in a LOT more features (With multiplayer as well)
- Much more variety in methods of killing or completing missions
- No issues with the Protective stuff on the game like I had with previous ones (Though that was small issue for me anyway).
- Cooler instant kills, which allow you to do a chain like effect, going from one guard to the next if you're being overwhelmed.
- You get a crossbow, if that isn't enough for you, I don't know what will be!

Cons:
- Some players may find the game too easy end-game, as you get around 15 healing potions to carry with you (Which is a ridiculous amount)
- Multiplayer could have some improvements

I hope this review helped, any questions then just post a comment below and I'll try my best to help :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid game, but ultimately more of the same, 31 Jan. 2015
Griesmayer (Wien, Österreich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Was it really necessary? That's the question I kept asking myself after I had finished this game 44 hours after having started playing it. Don't get me wrong - the game world is pretty vast and early 16th century Rome rendered quite believable - at the same time, the various Roman ruins scattered around the game world give you a feeling of antiquity as well. You have the Vatican, with St. Peter's Cathedral in the middle of construction, its dome half finished; there's the Colosseum, in pretty much the same state as it is today, and various other remnants of Roman baths, arches and pillars mixed with the architecture of Renaissance Italy.

But the reason I cannot give this game the full complement of stars is because unlike Assassin's Creed II, which was a real quantum leap from the original Assassin's Creed in terms of setting, innovation and story, AC Brotherhood offers little compared to AC II, and its story, in fact, feels dull in comparison. Even years after having played AC II I still remember the story pretty well - Ezio growing up in Florence, then half of his family being murdered and left to hang, Ezio swearing bloody vengeance on the man who ordered the executions, then killing him, but then discovering he is only a small pawn in a bigger ring of conspirators, Ezio fleeing the city to Montereggioni, then hunting down the bad guys in Florence, Venice and Forli where he finds an ally by the name of Caterina Sforza, and the game ending with the final revelation being the transformation of the main bad guy you were desperately trying to hunt throughout the game, Rodrigo Borgia, into none other than Pope Alexander VI! So Assassin's Creed Brotherhood essentially begins where AC II left off - Ezio arriving in Rome and trying to kill Rodrigo Borgia. However, now his prodigal son, Cesare Borgia and his plans to unite Italy in a big military campaign stand in Ezio's way. Then there is Lucretia Borgia as well, and a host of other characters Ezio needs to assasinate. However, none of them really contribute to the story. In fact, shortly after completing the game I already had trouble remembering exactly what the course of events in AC Brotherhood was. All I remember is infiltrating the Castel Sant Angelo several times, once to rescue Caterina Sforza, then killing several characters and then defeating a French mercenary army to finally be able to take revenge on Rodrigo and Cesare.

While AC Brotherhood is a game that does indeed have improved gameplay elements (and arguably slightly improved and smoother graphics through there is a really stupid brown daylight filter for outside environments you can't turn off) compared to AC II, the story feels tacked on. You also only have Rome to explore, with some side missions revolving around Leonardo da Vinci's war machine prototypes taking you to various other cities in Italy, but only briefly for those missions only.

While AC II was an RPG that focused on the story, AC Brotherhood is an RPG that focuses on the role playing and free roam elements. You can rebuild Rome bit by bit after liberating a district from the presence of a Borgia tower and its captain, and then restoring various shops and fast travel gates from a state of disrepair into full function by spending a small sum of money. Restoring Rome earns you money which you can pick up at Banks. You can also invest in shops to get some unique items needed for shop quests that in turn give you special equipment upon completion, and earn or lose money depending on the risk factor. Pretty much every mission now has a 50% and 100% synch version, the latter requiring you to complete it within a certain time limit, not get detected, only use your hidden blade or other such challenges. The main selling feature of AC Brotherhood is that you can recruit and train your own guild of Assassins, and send them on contracts to earn money and help them level up. Just like in AC II, you have faction speific lairs, this time being the usual Templar lairs that give you a large sum of gold upon completion, and lairs belonging to the Followers of Romulus, a cult whose devotees drape themselves with wolf skins and attack you on sight. Once you have snagged a scroll from the end of each of the Romulus lairs, you unlock the Armor of Brutus. There are also other outfits unlockable by uPlay points which you earn by completing specific actions in the game. These outfits include Ezio's teenage Florentine garb, the Assassin's Creed II Altair armor, the AC 1 Altair outfit and the Helmschmied Drachen armor.

Overall, AC Brotherhood certainly has more fun RPG-type open world gameplay than AC II, but in terms of story it is quite lacklustre in comparison with its predecessor. So ultimately, just so we could get to explore Rome, Ubisoft dedicated an entire game to it while keeping the last snippet of AC II's story - killing Rodrigo Borgia - for this game. Of course, one thing I do have to credit this game for is that it features an interesting Desmond & friends story arc as well. Both the beginning and end of AC Brotherhood is played from the perspective of Desmond, so he does get to do some parkour climbing of his own.

Overall though, a 3/5. A game that wasnt reeeeeeally necessary from a narrative point of view, but a solid game giving you plenty of stuff to do nonetheless. Oh yeah - there is multiplayer now. I guess that's where a good portion of creativity went to... ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Game Play, "100% Sync Failed" Ahhhhhhhh!, 29 Oct. 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The graphics are just as good if not exactly the same as Assassin's Creed 2 which is not a bad thing. They have added the multi-player mode, again quite cool. The story lines are just as good as the last game and I also enjoy the little bonus treasure finds when you find every day items such as vegetables, wool or anything to diamonds in the little treasure boxes or on dead bodies after you've done your stuff.

My main annoyance of the game giving it my 3 to 3.5 rating is it's poor game play. It reminds me of the sega mega drive game where you had to return right back to the start of a level if you make a tiny error. To progress onto the next DNA level you must complete EVERY single task on that level to a perfected and exact way. This ranges from killing a baddy by throwing him in a certain way to completing a full level in a speedy rush of 8 minutes flat. Maybe I don't want to rush through a level. Maybe I want to explore my surroundings and kill this annoying bad guy with a pick axe or a fork. Why must I do it your way by taking on a gang of 20 soldiers without getting a scratch?

The fact of the matter is that where Assassin's Creed 2 seemed to give you the freedom to collect feathers, treasures and attempt tasks at your own pace. Brotherhood seems to take that away and assumes a strict and structured task by task story is the way to go.

100 sync failure is what I seem to be shown on a regular basis and I hope it's just my useless pea brain not coping with the difficulty an avid gamer might so desire. To me though it feels a tad bit slow and annoying in flow because of the sheer number of times I have to retry levels which are around 15 minutes long again and again and again.

Change it back Ubisoft, I want it to be 2010 again with exploration and random game play delights! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood Flows in the Eternal City, 23 Mar. 2013
JH "hobbs_tx" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (ACB) picks up where you left off in Assassin's Creed 2 (AC2). But this time you spent almost the whole game in Rome and its suburbs. Graphics are beautiful. It is awesome to run around the Coliseum, the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, and the Castle D'Angelo. The building models for these had an authentic feel and many little details that I remember from my trips to Rome. The designers did a good job trying to put us into Renaissance Rome. There are descriptions of the major sites which talk about how they would look at the time versus what we see now.

The storyline is entertaining. I found it even better than the ones before. Challenging game play, but not impossible. Sections have tiered victory condition which allows you to continue even if don't make all the conditions. You can't save wherever you want, but the frequency of the saves seemed adequate. ACB had s similar system as the villa Monteriggioni where you invest in the city to make money. There are new weapons in ACB. The Crossbow is lots of fun. Basically, a long range stealth weapon. I call it the sniper rifle. The addition of the Assassin's Guild where you recruit and get experience with your own assassins is really neat. You can send them on missions in and out of the city in addition to just calling them to help you. This adds a whole new dimension. Your options are practically limitless with all the side missions and achievements possible. My only complaint is I noticed that the sound and cut scenes are slightly out of synch. This might just be my computer. Regardless the cut scenes are well done.

The multiplayer is fun too. There are different methods (everyone for themselves and co-op). You can't just kill anyone you have to find your selected target to get points. You also get points escaping your pursuers and a multitude of other challenges. The points you gain allow you to advance rank and gain other abilities. Multiplayer uses UBISoft's network and maintains your stats and progression. Matchmaking is pretty easy, but not extremely quick. There are still players out there at the time of this review. I feel multiplayer is an overdue addition to an already great game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Increadible, 29 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Brotherhood is basically very similar to its prequel, Assassin's Creed 2; but it's so much more! While gameplay feels almost exactly the same, tons of extra content have been piled in. Mostly they are just simple things: newer weapons, the ability to ride a horse in town, buying faction buildings and more. There is a very useful feature that allows you to tag Subject 16's memories from the menu on the map, which cuts down on trying to find the building where they are located. Then there's the assassin's guild. They behave much like the courtesans and mercenaries, but can be trained and honed into fantastic killers. They can be summoned at will, provided that they are available at the time, to dispatch individual targets or help out in a fight. Borgia influence is rife throughout Rome, but can be removed be killing captains and burning towers. Once an area is clear of Borgia, the shops and monuments can be bought, allowing you to purchase items and unlock memories.

Another nifty feature is that you can either achieve full or half sync on memories. If the mission was to assassinate a target, then for full sync the challenge would be to do it without being detected, or without losing a health square, or without using the rooftops. This allows for you to do a mission relatively easily on half sync, then come back to it when you have more skill or better equipment.

Some people thought Rome as the major location would be limiting. Well, it's simply not. There are open areas, densely packed areas, there's water and plenty of ground to cover. Gameplay differs with each area, so really there's a lot of variety here.

Assassin's Creed was designed for gaming consoles not PC, which can really be felt with the prequels. But it seems that the developers have done some more to address this, and the game is more compatible with a keyboard and mouse. On the downside, the graphics requirements are pretty hefty. But I turned mine down to a moderate level, and the game runs fine. It doesn't really affect gameplay.

There's a lot more I could say; I could talk about Leonardo's machines, or the followers of Romulus, but it can only really be understood when you've played the game. So go on, buy it!

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC DVD) by Ubisoft (Windows Vista / XP)