4.0 out of 5 stars "...It's Such A Groove..." - I've Got So Much To Give by BARRY WHITE (2010 CD Remaster), 30 May 2010
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This May 2010 Hip-O Select CD reissue on B0014038-02 (Barcode 0602527329314) takes the 5 lengthy tracks of Barry White's debut solo album and adds on two rare 7" single B-sides. It breaks down as follows (45:38 minutes):

1. Standing In The Shadows Of Love
2. Bring Back My Yesterday
3. I've Found Someone
4. I've Got So Much To Give
5. I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby
Tracks 1 to 5 are the album "I've Got So Much To Give" released April 1973 on 20th Century T-407 in the USA and on Pye International NSPL 28175 in the UK (it reached Number 1 on the US R'n'B charts).

Track 6 is "Just A Little More Baby" - a non-album instrumental version - it's edited down from its full album length of 7:11 minutes to 4:21 minutes; it's the B-side to "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby" and was released April 1973 on 20th Century TC-2018 in the USA and June 1973 on Pye International 7N.25610 in the UK.

Track 7 is "I've Got So Much To Give", a non-album instrumental version, B-side to "I've Got So Much To Give", released August 1973 on 20th Century TC-2042 in the USA.

Downsides - there's an awful lot of 7" mixes missing - the 7" edited single version of "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby" isn't on here (3:58 minutes), nor is the slightly longer version that's on the American promo 7". The "I've Got So Much To Give" 7" single was not issued in the UK, but the American A-side is again an edit and no show. There was a further British 7" for "Bring Back My Yesterday" (Pye International 7N.25622), which also had an edited A-Side - but again - no show. With the playing time so short, it's sloppy not to have had these exclusive cuts on here.

The 3-way foldout inlay is unfortunately like so many Hip-O Select releases for their single discs - adequate and no more. There's credits for each track, but no appraisal of Barry White and his music, no liner notes, nothing on the back page, the inlay under the see-through tray is blank, there's no singles pictured etc. Just a little more effort would have made such a difference. But there is, however, a huge compensation - the SOUND...

The 1st generation master tapes have been remastered by KEVIN REEVES at Universal Mastering Studios-East and it's a truly fantastic job done. The sound is HUGE - really clear and clean - amazing punch to all of the tracks. And it's not trebled up nor compressed down - just full - the music is better than you've ever heard it before. It's especially good on those fantastic B-sides, which I've been after for years on CD.

Highlights include the Full Album Version of "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby" which is a monster sexy workout (lyrics above), but is of course lyrically naff. Which brings me to a point. I can vividly remember 1973 when a Barry White 45 was the soul single your 'sister' bought - and even though you secretly enjoyed the sly and wicked back-groove that punctuated his every release - you couldn't actually admit this to any of your mates lest you get a thick lip. Thirty-five years on and in all honesty, the lover-man routine is even more difficult to listen to now than it was back then...

Still - this release is saved by its beautiful sound quality. If you're into BW and the Love Unlimited Orchestra and their unique Seventies Soul sound - then this is essential purchase. Casual buyers will probably only want it for Full Album Version of "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby" and those cool instrumental B-sides though...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD & great music, 6 Aug. 2010
R. Lawrence (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I first bought this album (on vinyl) over 35 years ago and it sound as great now on CD as it did back then (or how my dodgy memory remembers). This was Barry's first transatlantic hit album, which followed on from his hit single: I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More Baby. However, the sub-4 minute single only hinted at the 8 minute plus album version with its infectious drum intro to its lush orchestral middle and end.

I personally think that some of the slower tracks on the album are better, especially the title track: I've Got So Much to Give, a true masterpiece which shows that Barry White was destined to make great music.

I've waited over 35 years for this album to be re-released on CD and, I must say, with the quality and care that this CD has been made, it has been well worth the wait.

This CD, without any doubt, gets 5 stars for quality and 5 stars for the music therein.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Maestro at his best, 29 May 2010
Richard (Netherlands, Europe) - See all my reviews
I can't believe this is the first review of this masterpiece, because it seems like this cd was made just for me.
The piano, the guitars, the violins and his beautiful voice are just brilliant. I already own the Unlimited box set and have hasitated to purchase this gem. I'm so glad I did, because this is how the maestro meant it to be. (Is this in English?) The atmosphere/mood that the songs put together. A must have for any fan.

The remastering has been done by Kevin Reeves. It can't get any better than this. It must have been done with love for the music and much craftmanship. Thank you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning Of An Icon, 2 Oct. 2014
To take apart a Four Tops song written by Holland Dozier Holland and reconstruct it the way BW does with "Standing In The Shadows Of Love" is a great way to start his first album on 20th Century Records . All five tracks are standout songs , will not disappoint . Buy it before it is deleted .

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer... Killer ... Killer .. Bad Bad bad ..!, 19 Jan. 2014
This album is the best thing since sliced bread .. Groove, smooth and dramatic .. This is some of the best variation through an albums theme

4.0 out of 5 stars Barry White, 12 Jun. 2013
mack d (stoke-on-trent) - See all my reviews
I have purchased the original CD version of this album and not the new re-mastered version. If sound quality is important to you by the re-mastered version, myself I add a bit on the sub and enjoy, after all it's Barry White, those low deep tone's, it's brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!!, 15 Sept. 2014
Great sexy, soulful voice. Brings back so many memories, recommend this album to anyone who loves this type of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, 2 Jan. 2015
Classic album for them in the know item came quickly all good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Jan. 2012