5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal
Published on 1 Mar 2011 by MJP

2.0 out of 5 stars Trouble getting this to work.
Thought I'd worked out all the settings and rigged it up in the garden to record any night-time visitors. It didn't record anything, and even when I danced around in its sight, nothing. Could be my fault - but if so, instructions aren't clear enough. Still unused.
Published 9 months ago by Jacqueline Pye

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 1 Mar 2011
This review is from: Bushnell Trophy Cam - 8 Mega Pixel -119435 [Camera] (Electronics)
Like most people we saw this on the Lost Land of the volcano/tiger/jaguar and thought it was to good to be true. Well, it is exactly what we expected. So far we've seen weasels and foxes and we've managed to set it up on an old tripod. It works perfectly on Mac (with VLC or flip4mac) and the quality is great. Take my advice, order it, get 8 good batteries and a decent sized SHDC memory card and your eyes will be opened to a whole new world. TRULY one of the best things we've bought as a family

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insights on what happens when your back's turned, 20 Jan 2011
Spotted this on BBC's "Lost Land of the Tiger" series. Having been curious for a while about nocturnal visitors to my garden I bought one and it does the job superbly.
I've discovered that all my nightly visitors have 4 legs, not 2, and that there's not A fox but at least two. Also saw that the seed I put out during the day for small birds is hoovered up by (plump!) wood pigeons, and that I need to invest in a bird table!
One regret though. I bought the version with a text only screen as I intend to view images on my laptop. I now find myself wishing that I could check a test image before leaving the camera so that I'm confident of the field of view.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for wildlife enthusiasts, 3 July 2011
I chose the Bushnell Trophy Cam after seeing it used on the BBC's 'Lost Land of the Tiger' programme. I was interested in the wildlife visiting my garden and, unfortunately, my attic (!) and wanted a way to find out what the animals were and what they were doing.

The Trophy Cam has proved reasonably well suited for this use. It has a PIR sensor that detects an animal moving within roughly a 45 feet range and then activates the camera a second later. The camera itself can be set for 3,5, or 8 megapixel pictures or video recording and records onto a SD Card, up to 16 GB in size. You will need to purchase this separately. During the day the camera operates as a colour camera while at night a bank of 32 infrared LEDs provides night vision. In practice I found this effectively illuminated animals at night up to 30 feet into the distance - however close up night shots within a metre or the camera tend to suffer badly from over exposure. I have also found that the PIR sensor tends to activate without any animals in range when in cold weather (around 5 celsius) even on its lowest sensitivity setting. This can lead to a number of empty shots which, while easily deleted, run down the batteries.

The camera has a straightforward menu system to set options such as the picture or video size, duration, PIR sensitivity, date /time stamping of pictures (though not video), and the gaps between successive activations of the camera. Pictures and video taken on the Trophy Cam can be viewed on the built in LCD viewer if equipped (check the model), downloaded via USB onto a PC, or by connecting it to a television. Both TV out and USB cables were provided with the camera as well as a strap for attaching the camera to a tree - assuming you have one in a convenient position.

The camera runs on 4 or 8 AA batteries. The battery life is stated as up to a year - however this does need 8 high performance lithium batteries. The more usual alkaline type will apparently last closer to 5 months. You can also use an external adapter to power the camera should you have access to a mains outlet nearby.

Finally as well as a SD card and batteries you may also want to consider a small tripod to hold the camera if you don't have a tree handy. I bought a Gorrillapod-SLR which has proved perfect for positioning the camera in awkward places.

Overall I'm happy with the Trophy Cam and would recommend it -provided that you are not planning a lot of winter photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased I got this!, 12 Aug 2011
After seeing this on TV, and mentioned in a newspaper magazine, finally took the plunge and have not regretted it! I now know I have up to 3 badgers coming into my garden and when, so I can work out when to try and sit out to see them! Fully recommend as even I could set this up. Agree it would be nice to be able to check the field of view before leaving it, but can sort of work it out from the position and how it looks! Still want to play around with the settings to see what else I can do, videos etc, but it is great fun and I think well worth the cost! In fact, I wish I had more than one so can see where the badgers go after they leave the area I've got it set up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but be aware of limits, 4 Aug 2011
Steve F (Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've had one for over 6 months now for monitoring what goes on in the garden (like one hedgehog rolling another about the garden) and when away to see if there is anything worth staying up to see (like a pine marten when I was in Scotland). It does its job but you need to be aware of its limits.
1) the camera acheives its pixel rating through interpollation and the lens is not that good so don't expect SLR quality pictures.
2) the sensor has a greater width abilty than the lens so the camera can be triggered without anything appearing on the media. The sensor will also be triggered by local hot spots and movement of plants in some conditions.
3) In a garden the sensitivity can be a problem. Either you set it so thing like small birds and mamamals trip it and every little breeze or temperature change triggers it or you accept only things like a blackbird and larger will trigger it up to about 10 feet. Larger objects, like uninvited intuders, will trigger it at a greater distance so you could use it for security but to ensure you don't lose it make sure it is not too visible whilst keeping the sensor un restricted.
4) The thing will eat batteries if you use it on video at night. Obviously it depends on how active things are in the garden and temperature but I am on my 4th set of batteries. I admit I have yet to try the recommended lithium batteries due to their price (8 batteries will set me back about £14) but they may be more economical in the long run.
5) The infra red light for the camera tends to over expose in the middle and under expose at the edge which is a little annoying.
6) The tree fixing attachment is annoying with its limited mobility at the head making impossible in some case to fix the camera to it firmly and still have it pointing the the right direction. I bought a little table top tripod to ensure I can get it where I want it and pointing in the right direction

As I said at the start be aware of its limits. Providing you are not expecting TV documentary quality it can provide lots of interesting viewing and information about your chosen monitoring spot. No regrets about buying and the the package I got, containing a day pack and a surprisingly good pair of pocket binoculars, as well as the camera was good value I reckon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great video, no audio, eats batteries., 10 Sep 2012
We suspected there was a good deal of wildlife partying in our back garden at night so I bought this camera to capture the activity. We set the camera to the max video duration of one minute and the minimum interval of one second (meaning that once triggered it records for one minute and is available to be triggered again one second after recoding has ceased). With eight eneloop batteries 1x8 Sanyo Eneloop Mignon AA 2000 mAh installed we had four nights of around forty one-minute recordings per night (and very entertaining they were).
When reviewing the results of the fifth night we discovered that we had the usual number of files but almost all of them were useless, being of 0bytes rather than the normal 30(ish)Mb.
We replaced the eneloops with four Duracell Ultras, these lasted one and a half nights.
I had a good look through the manual and read that with the LEDs on, ie, when using the camera in any mode at night, the camera is drawing 730mA, no wonder the batteries fall over (will be far worse in cold weather).
As an aside I would mention that the manufacturers claim of a one year battery life is achievable providing that once switched on you put the camera in a box under your bed where it will never be triggered (batteries will have lasted for a year but you'll have no images).
I bought the appropriate plug from Maplins (£1.75, part no L46AY) soldered it to a 6V/1A power supply, problem solved.
Clearly, if you use this camera in daylight, taking stills, the battery life will be hugely better than using video at night. Daylight images are in colour and are surprisingly good. It takes an animal the size of a squirrel/pigeon to trip the PIR on max sensitivity. Audio capture is useless but it's not a feature we miss, you may feel otherwise (google it, most seem either to be too loud [distorted] or ineffective, like ours).

5.0 out of 5 stars Its wild out there!, 29 Jan 2011
Purchased for the kids but to be honest I think I am getting more out of this! Used to monitor wildlife visiting garden. Not seen much incoming wildlife yet but have got an amazing idea of what our cats get up to when out. The unit is made from tough plastic and seals closed with a 2 latch system and a rubber seal. The menu for setup is not the most intuitive but useable. The image quality by day is good, sharp focus and reasonable colour reproduction. Night images are black and white and the night flash gives a range of about 6 m. With a 1 Gb SD card and set to 5m pictures it can record over 1000 images. Its been out in heavy rain and at minus 10 Deg C and worked fine. I havent tried the video mode yet.
Overall, well built and does what it says it will. If you like wildlife and photography, its a great piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great purchase!, 2 Aug 2011
This is a great product - so easy to set up and use, and images play back on TV brilliantly. First night we had the usual cats, then next night two foxes we were totally unaware of! One small criticism - pity you have to open the case to turn it on or off. I have several images of my hands now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have tool/toy for any real nature enthusiast, 25 July 2011
I. S. J. Roberts (Cowes, IOW UK) - See all my reviews
I now have four of these and they are great.

I've used them to capture stills and film of Long Tailed Macaques & Mouse Deer in Malaysia, Otters, Pine Martins & Wild Boar in rural France and Foxes & Badgers on the Isle of Wight.

Very easy to use, simple set up screen with clear prompts, good quality pictures and video all stored to an SD card.

The triggering is a little slow sadly, in the majority of the pictures and Film I have the subject is already halfway across the camera's focal zone by the time it has triggered.

This maybe a limitation of the technology at this price or it may just require more meticulous set up but it still captures some great action that would otherwise go unseen.

The Otter video's I captured in France were a revelation as the locals did not even know they had Otters in that particular river.

A great bit of kit at a reasonable price for enthusiast or professional alike.

Get one and see what's about where you live!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 22 Mar 2013
Does exactly what's required - stills or videos of whatever moves in front of it. We've had some great images of wildlife. Easy to set up, with good instruction book. Plenty of options for number of pictures / length of video, etc. Images surprisingly good quality. Extras required: Batteries (up to 8xAA), memory card (at least 2GB). Extras worth buying: small tripod (camera comes with straps to fit to tree/post,etc but has a standard screw hole for a tripod in the base). All in all, an excellent camera, highly recommended.