5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better with every listen
Published on 13 Sept. 2010 by Mr. D. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected.
Published on 29 Mar. 2012 by GLR

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., 29 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Saviours Song (Audio CD)
Having been a massive fan of Fresh New Life which is a beautiful album with great laid back love song after melancholy love song (with one exception, the brilliant Revolution), I was surprised when I listened to Saviour's Song. It's a good album which I shall return to but sees the artist approaching things in a different way, much rockier, with sharper edges. It almost feels as though not only is this a deliberate departure, but actively seeking to make something very NOT like Fresh New Life.

For me, FNL Fresh New Life
will always be my favourite but it depends what rocks your boat. GR

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better with every listen, 13 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Saviours Song (Audio CD)
Those who are familiar with Phil Campbell's previous works, particularly recent albums 'After The Garden' and 'Daddy's Table', will notice an immediate difference in style on this album. As soon as "W.M.B.L." begins it is clear that this is something quite different. I am a big fan of the previous albums so I was initially uncertain about this change of direction, but I found that the track grew on me very quickly, it's very well produced with multiple layers of vocals and sounds. That leads into "Vodka Milk" which is a bit rockier in sound, and utilizes a very interesting 'slow down' technique before it picks up again and a fantastic chorus kicks in. Lead single "Boom Town Rats" also has a very rock-y sound, beginning with a fantastic vocal scream before a pounding drum beat sets the pace for the song. "Nations and Babes" is in a similar vein, with a brilliant arrangement of various instruments which make for a very catchy number.
"Radio Luxembourg" changes the pace, slowing down around the albums midway point before the towering sound of "Black Moth" crashes in. I can imagine "Milton Car Thieves" being a great live number, with a lengthy refrain, loud guitars and crashing symbols. One of my favorite tracks "Shooting Baddies" basically sounds like the singer is having an absolute blast, which makes the song a great deal of fun to listen to over and over! "Devil's Chord" takes on more of a country/bluesy feel telling a 'deal with the devil' kind of story. Finally the closing number and title track "Saviour's Song" ends things beautifully, it seems to be much more personal lyrically, and is largely piano-based.
It seems to be a very experimental album in my view, but I always find it's a great deal of fun to listen to from start to finish as there's plenty of variation.

5.0 out of 5 stars listen to this bloke, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Saviour's Song (MP3 Download)
A Scot with a gravelly voice with which is perfect for delivering his deep lyrics. Due to the unpredictable nature of the British music industry (and Scotland is still with us), carefully packaged pretty faces that can sing (with the aid of digital acrobatics) do well because we are told they are top notch, but Phil, with his scarred face and scarred life, remain largely overlooked. Get a life music listeners. This bloke is seriously talented.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Temperance Movement Frontman!, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Saviours Song (Audio CD)
Love Phil Campbell's voice. Love The Termperance Movement which made me explore previous works done by the band and found that Phil had done quite a bit of work. Have purchased some of his previous work including this one. Nowhere near as rocky or bluesy as his current work but still a great album. His voice is just fab. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phil Campbell one of Britains most talented and versatile artists, 19 April 2015
N. Brown "Nige Brown" (Bridgend, South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saviours Song (Audio CD)
Phil Campbell in a word brilliant, if you've caught The Temperance Movement live and fallen over by the energy Phil exerts on stage then you will be blown away by his sheer versatility with this and ANY OTHER solo disc he's brought out. Amazing,

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent condition, 26 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Saviours Song (Audio CD)
Excellent condition, great album from a great artist

Saviours Song
Saviours Song by Phil Campbell (Audio CD - 2010)