on 3 March 2013
As a long time Buddhist who struggled with meta and loving kindness meditation I know understand why. I also now understand why the brief CBT sessions I had failed to resonant with me. For me Paul Gilbert's book provides the missing link that has alluded me so long. A beautiful book that makes so much sense.
on 16 October 2013
I always thought I was doing self compassion right, until I read this book and realised that all those positive affirmations were being spoken to my inner self like a computer or automaton - ie I knew they meant something but I never really felt it..
well now I know why and what I can do about it - THANK YOU!
the book is extremely well laid out in short chapters so easy to read on the tube and easy to grasp the concepts.
a cert for anyone studying mindfulness or psychotherapy.
on 7 January 2016
What a wonderful book! I'm not a clinician or anything, I just bought this in the interest of self-help.

It's a bit dry scientific, but I'm quite a sciency person so I suppose I like that. There's no waffle! It presents a brief-ish explanation of how the brain works and then a bunch of different exercises you can do. The best thing is, these exercises really work (if you remember to do them). I've been doing self-help stuff for about 18 months now, and of all the books I've read this is one of the most effective. I have a lot of hope for the future of CFT and hopefully Paul Gilbert's ideas will spread and help make everyone happy.

I've also got his other book, "The Compassionate Mind", which is more self-helpy, but it's really waffly (600 pages!) and has lots of references to politics, sex, relationships, etc. This book ("distinctive features") really cuts to the chase and presents what CFT is all about in a much clearer way. If you're interested in CFT I'd recommend getting this one first, and then if you want more detail on the exercises or want to read more general philosophical musings about the concepts, get the other one.

Can't really fault it to be honest.
on 8 November 2012
This is a really excellent book that draws together many facets of CFT. I recommend it to clients and therapists.
on 26 July 2011
This book is very readable. Paul Gilbert explains very clearly why conventional CBT often fails to work, and grounds his compassion focused therapy in research, and also neuro- science. I found that this book was very clear and very informative. For me the most important insigts in the book, were his recognition that our Brains have different processing systems, and that different therapies can access different systems. Conventional CBT utilises the neo-cortex, and acts as a regulator of emotions, while more experiential therapies, ( MBCT) access other processing parts of the brain. I also realised as well, how I can better intergrate some CBT ideas into my own therapy practise.

One of my main objections to CBT was that the theory that explained it, ( eg distorted cognitions causing psychological disturbance) to be deaply flawed. This of course is true. However the insight that CBT techniques can regulate, difficult emotions, was very useful since sometimes regulations of difficult emotional states canrepresent a quick fix, when processessing is not possible. I found this a very good read, and feel that CFT represents an advanced form of therapy within the CBT Family of therapies.
on 21 July 2014
Always clear and readable, just like the man himself. If you like it do the training!!!!
on 12 January 2016
Great book. Useful, informative and thought provoking. This will form part of our new approach within our health education programme. If you like the sea and wooden ships, you will LOVE our work.
See www.seasanctuary.org.uk (ref Charity)
on 26 December 2013
This book has a very easy language and lots of usefull exercises with instructions for clinical practice. Also it is small and you can take it everywhere.
on 7 August 2013
Very helpful in thinking about different ways of coping with depression and treating yourself with compassion and kindness. Very well written.
on 10 April 2013
This is a clearly written book that provides the essential principles of theory and practice. It a book I continue to refer to.