on 5 November 2004
Although part of a series this book can easily be read as a stand alone book.
This is such a good book on a variety of levels (the plot, characters, romance and adventure).
The heroine is Rose Lacey the maid rescued by Clara Simpson in 'The Impostor' and now a trainee spy for the liars club. The hero is Collis Tremayne, Lord Etheridge's heir, wounded in the war and now a trainee spy also for the liars.
The two cause trouble so are given a dummy mission if they fail they are out. However files get muddled and Rose takes the wrong one, so they are off to prove Louis Wadsworth is plotting treason. Rose has her own reasons for wanting to prove Louis is guilty and by the time Collis finds out they have the wrong file he is in too deep, for collis has taken Prince George with him to break into Louis Wadsworth's study. From there is an action packed chase through subterranean London followed by even more exiting adventure which if revealed here would give too much away. However along the way they meet one of my favourite incidental characters Forsyth who is a bit of a regency Q .
The romance between Rose and Collis is very good with believable motivations and insecurities. Rose has hot thoughts about Collis but knows they cannot be so gives all his flirting and beguiling ways a cold shoulder. Collis has a craving for Rose but his usual charming manners cut no ice with her and he is yet to realise his feelings are of love.
If you like adventure with your romance put this book on top of your tbr pile.
on 7 November 2004
The Charmer is a real page turner and I really wish I'd have discovered Celeste Bradley after she'd done a few more books. I am only waiting for her first 2 books (Fallen and The Pretender)and I find myself in the frustrating position of now having to wait for her next book. I have read The Imposter, The Spy and The Charmer and all three books stand in their own right, however, The Charmer does have some references in it that I suspect will become clearer after I have read The Pretender.
I am an eclectic reader and like my books as diverse as Christine Feehan and Sherrylin Kenyon to Rachel Gibson and Patti Berg. If you enjoy these authors, you'll like Celeste Bradley.