5.0 out of 5 stars Tennant at his best
I saw this back in 2005 when it first aired and I was absolutely amazed by it. Tennant was chilling as Brendan Block and nothing at all like 'The Doctor' he is so well-known for portraying. His character is a genuine bad guy and Tennant shows exactly why he is such a good actor. Kate Ashfield is also brilliant and even reduced me to tears at certain points.
It's...
Published on 13 July 2008 by Mara

3.0 out of 5 stars Great acting, terrible story.
Published on 27 April 2011 by Wulingyi

5.0 out of 5 stars Tennant at his best, 13 July 2008
It's great to see this finally released on DVD, 3 years after its air date, and it is a must-buy for anyone. One of the best dramas ever shown by ITV.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Tennant at his freakiest..., 28 Jan 2008
This review is from: Nicci French: Secret Smile (DVD)
Now when I heard David Tennant was Christopher Eccleston's successor in Doctor Who, I was wondering - who is he? Have I seen him before? Well sooner than you know it, the name appears in a trailer on ITV1 for Secret Smile. So I thought I should watch it to get to know what the Doctor may be like... and I'm glad he wasn't!

It was a fantastic drama. So gripping, I loved it. David Tennant was fantastic as Brendan Block. An extreme womaniser who hides his deadly obsession behind charm and charisma to convince women to be with him - if only they knew he wasn't as romantic as he was in Blackpool.

Kate Ashfield was someone I really felt sorry for. Her life going down the drain because of her ex-boyfriend, Brendan. She made an excellent heroine for the story and standing up to Brendan's aggressive nature. Brilliantly acted by her.

A must see for all mystery/drama/David Tennant/Kate Ashfield/thriller fans! It is one of the dramas I would consider so many people to watch, as I only just realised it had a DVD release... so it must be bought!

Give it a watch, as it will leave you thinking in amazement and thinking of issues that could potentionally happen in society.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best portrayal of a sociopath goes to David Tennant, 21 Aug 2008
S. Finch (Stratford-upon-Avon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nicci French: Secret Smile (DVD)
I had already read the Nicci French novel before seeing the TV dramatisation. The latter does depart from the book particularly with the ending that has been souped up for TV audiences. While perhaps more unbelievable than the more low key climax in the novel, this quibble is compensated for by the brilliant performance of David Tennant as the charming/creepy sociopathic Brendan. I've just purchased the DVD and after a second viewing still find the story chilling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plot, very good acting, 29 Jan 2008
Zwaantje H. Hamming (Santa Fe, New Mexico United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nicci French: Secret Smile (DVD)
Secret smiles is a great show. David Tennant is perfectly cast as the sociopathic Brendan Block. As I'm used to see him as Dr Who, the saviour of the universe a few times over, I found great pleasure in watching him as the ultimate creepy guy. Good-looking, no doubt, but not healthy to have around! The rest of the cast is very good, I really liked the brother character. Definitely something that looks good in any DVD-library.

5.0 out of 5 stars very creepy, 18 May 2008
This review is from: Nicci French: Secret Smile (DVD)
I found this after seeing a clip of possibly the most terrifying (yet strangely attractive) thing David Tennant says in this, you'll know it when you get there.

Brilliantly acted by all, it was gripping and unexpected; you really feel for her as her life begins to fall apart around her. David Tennant was fab as always, very creepy, particularly as he appears as crazy, but also extremely clever and vindictive.

I really enjoyed it, watch it if it sounds like its for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Smile, 28 Dec 2010
M. Elliott "Margaret" (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Smile [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this when it was aired on terrestrial TV and absolutely loved it. I have raved about it to my family so much, I just had to purchasse a copy to be viewed over the Christmas period.
BRILLIANT! - Just do not read the blurb on the back of the DVD. It will spoil your enjoyment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great acting, terrible story., 27 April 2011
This review is from: Secret Smile [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this only because I was curious about Tennant's other work aside from Who. I had seen a clip from YouTube and was delighted to discover it was a thriller. Acting wise, I wasn't disappointed. All the characters are unlikeable and unsympathetic which comes across very well. From the obvious villain Block to the less than innocent Cotton. Tennant is hair raisingly evil and unlikeable, yet dangerously charming.

Unfortunately, that's where it all falls apart. The story is implausible and insulting, especially to those who work in law enforcement. The production values are rock bottom low-- I'm not expecting HD, but this looks like cheap dv. The way they handled the subplot of miranda's brother is also clumsy.

As for the DVD itself, the packaging is acceptable for the price. There are no extras whatsoever. Understandable for such a tele movie but disappointing nonetheless.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Secret Smile [DVD] (DVD)
What lets this story down big time is the absurd ending but all the way through the interactions between the characters is implausible. Having said that, the acting is superb from all the cast and this is the only reason that makes it watchable. For David Tennant fans (like me) see if you can rent or borrow it - otherwise you'll only watch it once and it will gather dust on your shelf.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Secret Smile [DVD] (DVD)
i'd suggest you ignore (or at least reserve judgement) by other reviewers along the lines of 'best crime drama ever'.etc gushed over this serial.
I love good crime dramas like Endeavour, Minette Walters 'The Sculptress', etc etc,. sadly, good actors aside, this production beggars belief. I found myself increasingly irritated with the almost pantomime like ('look behind you') holes in the plot.
For something like this to work, it needs to retain credibility - & i'm sorry but this serial doesn't, I truly wish it did, if only to justify the viewing time!.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boyfriend from Hell!!!, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: Nicci French: Secret Smile (DVD)
I absolutely LOVED this movie... AND I'm glad I saw David as the Doctor before I saw this--lool!

A must see David Tennant movie. He's so completely Brendan, so wacked-out, so totally mental. I sought this movie out because it starred David, and found it first at my library so I took it out and--woooow! Now I'm buying it! He portrayed a very dangerous man (without the need to show violence in the movie). He's excellent in it.

This is the next purchase on my Amazon.co.uk list. Cheers! :)

Secret Smile [DVD]
Secret Smile [DVD] by David Tennant (DVD - 2009)