4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but confusing installation

Published on 11 Oct. 2010 by Dr. H. M. Gee

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but confusing installation, 30 Aug. 2010
DJM "DJM" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 3 PC, 1 Year Subscription (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have several PCs running either Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 or 2011, or McAfee Security Centre. There isn't much to choose between them but I think that kaspersky has a better and more intuitive user interface. However the latest offering had a very strange and disconcerting installation but it did install correctly. Read below to find out what happened. I have friends who use various free security software and I am the only one who has never suffered an infection whilst using Kaspersky and McAfee. Still one of the best systems around. Recommended.

Pros
Subjectively I would say it has less of a performance impact than McAfee and Norton.
Extensive range of features including virus protection, firewall, anti spam and banners, registry monitoring, anit-phising,parental controls, rescue disc (not with downloaded version), virtual keyboard and tune up utilities.
Once installed there is minimal intervention required.
If you want to tailor the settings then the interface is easier to follow than McAfee.
Installs seamlessly over earlier versions of kaspersky.

Cons
Installation: As usual with Kaspersky the documentation does not reflect how the application actually works. I installed 2011 on a machine running the 2010 version. The installation went ok until it requested me to reboot, which I did with the installation CD still in the drive. Upon rebooting it went into a rescue mode and then crashed. I rebooted without the installation disc in the drive and all was ok. This has lost it a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Home Solution, 5 Sept. 2010
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the third Kaspersky Internet Security program I have used on the same PC, having already previously installed 2009 and 2010 versions.

The best thing you can say about Kaspersky is that you can't say very much. By that I mean it runs in the background without sucking up resources noticeably to the point where you forget you have an anti virus program until it pops up to let you know something may need checking.

The interface is similar to the older versions with a slight modernisation to keep it looking current. There's nothing that isn't easy to see up front and all settings are done on install and you are guided through the process. You can leave the program to set itself up or you can change to your specific requirements. I just let it set up as per its default as I've found that the other versions seem to work perfectly well as Kaspersky intended.

I have found that programs such as Norton or McAfee are almost as bad as getting a virus or a Trojan. With Kaspersky on a now low-mid range computer I have never had any issues or slowing down to any level where I noticed it. The same applies to my other much higher spec computers that I use this 3 licence program for.

Does it work? Well in three years of using various versions of Kaspersky on the same computer I have not had any virus', Trojans or other nefarious bits of software causing havoc on my PC. Of course, you can't prove a negative, but this 2011 Kaspersky is an upgrade and I have absolute confidence that it will continue to perform well. Certainly for home use I don't believe that there is a better security suit available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still the best for me, 28 Sept. 2010
Mike Miller (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I like this product. Why? It just sits there and works. It does not eat up huge resources on my system, yet it is very comprehensive or as simple as you want it.
I purchase it annually as a new product rather than just upgrading on the web site though as Amazon usually have a good deal on it, or just a good proce, better than just doing the update from Kaspersky themselves.
Installation is a breeze and it has caught a few things trying to sneak onto my system, and to be honest I think this is the cleanest system I have ever had after using Kaspersky for just over a year. Sometimes, it "catches" things it does't need to, but there is a real minimum of these "false positives", certainly in my ecperience, less than many of the other products I have tried over the years (ZonaAlarm, AVG etc).
One of my fave features is the virtual keyboard, so if you are paranoid about a keylogger on your system when you are putting your online banking system, just launch this and it lets you enter your details without even touching your keyboard, a nice wee extra for those worried about your security.
Another is the network monitor that lets me see eaxctly what is doing things through my network, and keep an eye out for anything which is hogging my bandwidth or accessing the internet behind my back.
I will certainly be renewing this product next year, and I never ever considered saying that for any of the security systems that have ever come with my systems like McAfee or Norton.

3.0 out of 5 stars One big problem, 11 Oct. 2010
Dr. H. M. Gee (UK) - See all my reviews
I have used Kaspersky for nearly 2 years. It seems easy to use, just sits there and does the job. Until last week when I accepted an offer to upgrade to 2011 at no extra cost while updating. I dutifully downloaded the remover file and removed the old 2010 version, uninstalled Defender and Superantispyware as prompted and ran the installation. All went well until the final re-boot. Then the mouse and keyboard froze. Initially just after XP loaded, even in safe mode, and then even at the start up 'F2/F8' stage.

I gather this is a 'known' glitch which usually strikes where there is a security program clash. But I had removed everything they said (and in the past used removal tools to clean out Norton/AVG/McAffee) so I don't see how that that was it. Apparently it disconnects the USB ports and unless you have an old PS/2 port and keyboard you are up the proverbial without a paddle.

There is a 'rescue disc' which they sent after a couple of emails to the tech department (good support), though by I had already called in a pro who had his own copy and had 'heard about it'.

I shall not be upgrading when my subscription runs out unless I am sure they have fixed the 2011 one. Time to try another security suite.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful but overly complex and heavyweight, 21 Oct. 2010
Ian Thomas "Swarley" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At home, I have been using Norton Internet Security exclusively for the last 10 years and have never had any reason to consider changing. Our company has had terrible problems with McAffee for several years, which saps the life out of even the most powerful of computers. For my money, this is the worst thing any anti-virus tool can do - what is the point of installing software to protect your computer if that software renders it useless?!

I have read numerous positive reviews for Kaspersky tools over the last couple of years, so I decided to finally give it a try for myself. I installed it on my wife's Windows 7 Professional 64-bit PC so that I could run it alongside my own Windows 7 64-bit PC (with Norton Internet Security 2011) for direct side-by-side comparisons.

The installation process was reassuringly simple and smooth. I encountered no issues and was up and running in no time. It auto downloaded the latest updates and all was well. A quick look in the settings shows that Kaspersky is not really aimed at non-technical users. The options are numerous and in-depth, offering a great deal of configurability for power users and a great deal of potential confusion for everyone else. I am a software engineer by trade and found the settings fairly straightforward, but I would never consider installing this tool on my parent's PC as they would be immediately lost in the Kaspersky interface.

Having said that, Kaspersky does seem to run quite silently in the background nearly all of the time. It seems to be less attention seeking than Norton. On the other hand, the feedback Norton routinely offers is actually quite reassuring as it shows checks are being performed in the background and sometimes tells you useful things you would have otherwise missed, such as which program is using a lot of resources. This is purely a matter of personal preference.

My main criticism of Kaspersky is that it does seem to be a bit of a resource hog, working overtime a lot of the time, even when you would not expect it to be. The system tray icon animates whenever Kaspersky is doing something, so it is easy to see when it's busy. Its work levels are difficult to quantify, but qualitatively I feel it is working significantly harder in the background than Norton. From what I've read online, whilst Norton has been steadily reducing its footprint, Kaspersky's 2011 release is unfortunately more resource intensive than previous releases.

My conclusion is that Norton Internet Security is still the product for me. It is easier to configure while still offering all the flexibility you could want, whilst being less resource hungry leaving your computer to focus on what you want it to do. Given that prices and broad functionality are very similar, I would choose Norton every time. However, compared to the dreaded McAffee, Kaspersky is a clear winner in my book. It is by no means a poor product, but it does lag behind some of the competition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance on Windows Ultimate 64 bit, 28 Sept. 2010
KIS 2011 performs very poorly on my platform. Locks up Outlook 2010 on sending email, slows down Windows startup by around 30 - 40 seconds. It started blocking programs until I turned off everything bar the anti-virus and file scanning portions of the package. I followed the limited support available and completely uninstalled the previous version, ran their clean up script and then reinstalled the latest .401 version with the same results. It still gets 2 stars as in the past it has blocked and cleaned infections very well. Form reading around on the internet it seems to be hit and miss. It either runs beautifully or is unworkable. My best advice would be to use a demo version and check it performs well on your platform and then pay the license...

All in all a real shame as I have used KIS for the last few years without any real problems...

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a good enough job, 21 Sept. 2010
This is the second year that I have went with kaspersky. After a good experiance last year after looking around on the internet looking at many articles I decided kaspersky were pritty good compared to Norton anyway who I previously used. This 2011 edition looks a bit smarter than the 2010 nothing major has changed on the face of things that much a little cosmetic work. Underneath who knows really how well it works its certainly done its job for me anyway.

Iv got it installed on Windows 7 and if you have windows 7 you will know you can add gadgets to the desktop well you can add one for kaspersky so there is shourtcuts to certain parts of the program I have mine set to a pause button for protection for those times you need to disable security and settings.

I dont notice this slow down my laptop where as norton slowed it right down.

Internet security software cant always guarantee protection though so its always going to be a bit of gamble and you just need to keep your wits about you when online. But kasperskys features such as the virtual keyboard and a sandbox to run untrusted apps are great. Its also warned me off a few sites now and then and found a trojan on my brothers computer so I trust it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait For 2012, 13 Sept. 2010
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst Kaspersky may remain amongst the best on the market for the level of the security it provides, the 2011 release is a touch disappointing. System slowdown has never been an issue in the past, but on this occasion, they've allowed their crown to slip. If you're running the 2010 version, stick with it and see what tomorrow brings before you think about upgrading to the 2011 release as it currently stands.

4.0 out of 5 stars protective but CPU HOGGER!, 30 Oct. 2010
Shahmeem Paree Shah "s.p shah" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
ive been with kaspersky for over 2 years now and i have to say its the most crucial internet security anybody needs from home to businesses i mean come on its soo good even the russian army uses this software! has a great scanning process although on my pc it took over 2 hours which was time consuming but the good thing is that it will spot any little thing out of order and look at it in deep which makes this IS very secure. it has its own virtual keyboard so that if you were doing e.g. online banking then with every keyboard press youre details are safe.

the bad thing is that its a memory hogger BOO! on an average dell pc it takes me 2-3 minutes for my browser to load up and when its loaded all of a sudden kaspersky has the urge to update which makes my surfing SLOOOWW! kaspersky need to improve on this otherwise many people will be put off from buying this product

OVERALL GOOD PRODUCT SECURITY WISE NOT SO VERY GOOD PERFORMANCE WISE! 4 STARS (RESPECTIVELY)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for Windows PC, 27 Aug. 2010
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am in the lucky position of having recently used Internet Suite 2011 and 'Pure'Kaspersky Pure, (inc. Internet Security, Parental Control and Data Back Up), 3 User, 1 Year license (PC). 'Pure'is an enhanced package which essentially has Internet Security including some features that may be particularly be useful for networked machines so I would strongly suggest a comparison of packages and their respective costs before purchase.

For average users who simply want an 'install and forget' protection suite with minimal tweaking required, I would however based on personal experience over recent years suggest Internet Suite 2011 would be adequate.

Installation on Windows 7 machines of 2 years vintage with Core 2 Duo/4GB RAM was straight forward.Usual check via the internet for update follows and then,if you so wish, you can really leave Internet Suite to it! Alternatively, you can alter settings via the refashioned interface (where do Kaspersky get their colour schemes from?)but normally the suite will self update although the new for 2011 widget will tell you quickly if something is amiss. The 2010 suite did much the same but in a quieter, more subtle way.

As with the 2010 suite, there is a slight pause at start up whilst Kaspersky performs start up checks but after that we did not notice any system drain on our W7 Core Duo machines with 4GB RAM. And personal very successful experience with Internet Suite over the last few years leads me to hope and expect that the 2011 version is equally as good.

Would recommend this without any hesitation.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 3 PC, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Used & New from: £19.99