5.0 out of 5 stars scanner
Published on 1 Nov 2010 by A. M. Pardoe

3.0 out of 5 stars The jury's still out on this one....
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by Darren M. Gomes

5.0 out of 5 stars scanner, 1 Nov 2010
A. M. Pardoe (Worcestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000f Film / Photo And Document Scanner (9600x9600dpi, 48 Bit Colour Depth) (Electronics)
This is an excellent scanner for films: 120 size 2.25 x 3.25 inch negatives and longer lengths of 120 film, 35 mm slides and 35 mm negative film strips as well as documents, photos etc. It is straightforward to use and produces very good results. Adobe Elements 8 is included in the package which is able to make even 60 year old 120 films look good with a bit of adjusting. Before this I used a Nikon Coolscan III for slides and this Canoscan produces better results and much more easily. Advent Data from whom this came delivered it within 24 hours of my ordering it! Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars If anyone can......, 22 Sep 2010
I purchased the Canon 9000f in June 2010, this item being the fourth Canon scanner I have owned over the past ten years. I run a website and my scanners have all been heavily used in order to scan documents and images which are eventually uploaded for permanent residence on the site as reference material.

The three stand out features of this scanner are:

1.) Zero warm up time. The scanner is available to use immediately it's switched on.

2.) Scan Speeds. While I haven't timed the thing with a stop watch, it's very quick! As would be expected scanning times slow down as image resolution is increased. However it is still quicker than my last Canon scanner, an 8800f.

3.) Photoshop Elements 8. The scanner comes bundled with a host of software including the latest version of Photoshop Elements (8). I had been looking to update my existing version (5) and was prepared to spend the 60+ necessary to compliment my new scanner - I was delighted to find that there was no need to do so.

All the usual film and negative mounts are also included. The seven shortcut buttons on the top panel include 4 for PDF creation but these have received little use to date, although the 'Copy' button is helpfull for those without an 'all in one' printer.

The one neagative I can think of concerns the weight and bulk of the thing. It does take up a lot of valuable desk space and it definitely could not be considered portable in any way. Perhaps the reason for the increase in weight over the 8800f is that the AC Power Adaptor is now incorporated within the body of the scanner itself and does not 'sit' between the the mains cable connection to the machine and the wall socket. Some will no doubt see this as an advantage.

The Canon 9000f appears to be well made and its black, silver and grey finish will probably match the rest of your computing equipment as these colours seem currently to be the industry norm. While its colours will please some and not others its performance should please everybody. Many of the scans I make are from 80 year old magazines and the information I am now able to retrieve from foxed and faded pages is amazing, certainly a marked improvement over the earlier Canon. The Canon 9000f receives a thumbs up from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars So, so impressed., 19 Feb 2011
This is the third scanner I've tried and tested since the new year began. The first, a budget Veho negative scanner, was awful. The second, an Epson v330 was initially impressive, but developed serious problems very early on and was unceremoniously sent back for a refund. But the Canoscan 9000f? I can't find fault with it.

Let me start by saying I scan negatives and only negatives - I can't vouch for this machine's performance when it comes to scanning prints and documents, but I would assume the same outstanding quality would be found in these functions too.

The scanner is quiet, first of all, which is a real blessing when you're scanning negatives for hours on end (I have a lot of archiving to do!). It is by far the quietest scanner I've tried, including other document scanners I've used in the past. It is also quick. I've read reviews on here that claimed otherwise and frankly, I'm not quite sure how much faster they think a scanner producing high quality scans can work! In addition to this, you can load 12 negatives at a time, meaning that you don't have to baby-sit it quite so much as other scanners that can only take 6 negatives at a time.

For professionals and enthusiastic amateurs, there is also a medium format negative holder that can hold between three and four 120 negs, depending on frame size.

In terms of installation - couldn't have been easier. Absolutely no expertise is required, as is standard with today's installation software.

As for the most important aspect of the scanner - I have nothing but praise. I'm what you might call a bit of a demanding customer when it comes to image quality. I needed a scanner that could produce high resolution, clean scans from which I could produce large scale prints. This scanner does just that. You have to play around with the settings in the scanner driver (such as switching off the unsharp mask, ramping the DPI up to 3200 and switching on the 'high quality' setting) but this is all very straight forward and user friendly.

In short, unless you have the money to spend on something like Nikon's Coolscan, which runs into the thousands, you won't find a neg scanner better than this. It might be pricier than some of the other flatbeds available, but if you're a photographer you will know by now that you almost always get what you pay for, and with this scanner, that's a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Canoscan 9000f, 2 Nov 2010
I bought this to replace an aging Epson which was good enough for documents but pretty duff for trannies. The Canon is well built and looks the part. It was a doddle to set up and the SilverFast software supplied is easy to use, especially as it works without the need to use the film holders, so no fiddling around. Results have been pretty impressive so far as long as you remember that all scans from any scanner are going to appear slightly soft until a bit of sharpening is applied. A bit of time and care with Photoshop after scanning will yield an excellent image from a 35mm tranny. Photoshop Elements is included which will appeal to many but as I run CS4 it wasn't a big deal for me personally. Not quite up to the superlative repro quality obtainable from a high-end drum scanner but that's not to be expected for around 200. I'm pleased with my purchase and delivery was up to Amazon's usual speedy response time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canoscan 9000F, 4 Nov 2010
David Tucker (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Recent upgrade from Canoscan 3000F. This is much more substantial and a good deal more expensive but the cost is well worth it. From limited use so far (documents and negatives) I am impressed. The Canon software has a somewhat unsophicated UI but works well with the scanner buttons for day to day document scanning,copying, archiving etc. The scan direct to PDF I find very useful. The inclusion of extra software (Adobe PS Elements 8 and SilverFast from LaserSoft) considerably enhance the value for money. I was already familiar with PS Elements but the SilverFast software was new to me. I have explored it only to a limited extent but even so find it friendly and powerful. Taken all round I consider this package first rate for the serious user at consumer prices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 9000f scanner, 12 Dec 2010
Fabulous piece of machinery. Was delivered extremely fast, does exactly as it says on the tin!

Very impressive and easy to use, I wasn't sure if it would convert the negatives to colour pictures but it does, it comes with adobe elements 8 and this is great to use, its good to know I can save all my pictures on my computer some that are very old and some very precious of people who are not here any more. I have used this to create a present for someone, a little history for them.

This scanner is something I can recommend - its not difficult to use and comes with great instructions.

3.0 out of 5 stars The jury's still out on this one...., 9 Jan 2011
Darren M. Gomes (Croydon, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this scanner recently, I was going to buy the Epson V500, but the price went up significantly, plus the Canoscan 9000F got half a star more in the average ratings. I've only scanned medium format slides so far. Generally it's a great scanner, but have found that my slide scans are very soft, which is disappointing. Also found the Silverfast software doesn't seem to work for film scanning, so have used the supplied Canon scanning software. Am considering buying the Vuescan software to see if that makes any difference with film scans. Also need to find out if the soft scans are a result of the FARE correction system. I've only used Digital ICE before, with my Nikon film scanner for 35mm.
I won't return it, as I'm pretty sure for document/photo scans, the results are great, but for 120 film scans, the scans are good for web use, but to print out for my portfolio, there's just very little detail from sharp focussed shots, even when scanned at 3200 ppi.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canoscan 9000f, 15 Nov 2010
I recently inherited my dad's 3 to 4 thousand strong coleection of transparencies dating from 1954 to 1980 and a similar number of B&W photos from 1880 to 1960.

I bought the Canoscan after lots of research and I am very pleased with what it can do both on slides and printed images,the correcting software can even peer into under exposed originals and bring out unseen detail. The FARE software is amazing at finding and removing the effects of dust and scratches on the image without (appearing to) corrupt the detail.

To me set up was a worry but frankly could not have been easier and after a little practice good results were quick to obtain : operation is straightforward, very much so if you use Autoscan but that robs a little of the canoscan's amazing power.
The bundled software seems good but Adobe Photoshop lived up to its reputation for being horribly opaque and hard to navigate BUT it is very good and amazingly clever.

all in all a very postive purchase.
I'd recommend it to any one with a back catalogue of slides they want to digitise.
It may not be the very best on the market but Canon CanoScan 9000F must rate 10/10 in terms of value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good Canon product!, 9 Jan 2011
Mrs. M. E. Lycett (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
I already have several Canon products which always seem to come out well in Which? reviews and which I have always been happy with.
I purchased this scanner for the purpose of scanning a lot of 40+ year old slides so that I could print them and display them at my husband's 70th birthday party, hoping the guests who hadn't known him when he was young, dashing and had hair, could be entertained! The scanner was easy to use and did a fairly good job of reproducing them. The quality of some was not brilliant but I am fairly sure that those slides which did not scan well had deteriorated somewhat and that it was no fault of the scanner.
I have also used it to scan photos and documents since and find the quality of the scan very good. The MP Navigator EX 3.1 software used by this scanner is quick and easy to use and to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars exceeded expectations, 5 Jan 2011
I previously owned a top of the range Canon 9950 scanner and decided recently to purchase this model after seeing the results from a friends 9000F scanner.

The warm up time is instant with the new LED technology and even the supplied Canon Scangear driver produced excellent results from both slides and prints. I have now started using the silverfast software and the detail from a slide scan is better than anything I have seen before.

Considering you get the scanner and Elements V8 this is a bargain. A previous review mention problems with power adapters, this does not use an external power supply.

5 Stars!