Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 June 2010
It's not always projects studded with superstars are artistically frugal and satisfying. But here Herbie Hancock and producer/bassist Larry Klein have collected a host of renowned singers and musicians for a truly creative and impressive album. And a CD with an uplifting message of love, peace and understanding. In many ways refelecting Hancock's years long immersion in Buddhism.

In the vein of Joe Zawinul or Santana this is really a melting pot of world music influences, putting an African spin on the title track, while Dylan's "The Times They Are A changing" is presented as a fascinating mix of Irish - vocalist Lisa Hannigan and The Chieftains - with a surprise African finish by the intricate guitarist Lionel Loueke.

There is pure Brazilian jazz-pop with Céu, a surprisingly psychedelic "Tommorow Never Knows" with Dave Matthews. A grooving take on the old Joe Cocker hit "Space Captain" with Susan Tedeschi and her husband guitar star Derek Trucks . While the closing track "The Song Goes On", recorded in Mumbai, is in a beautiful Indian space, Hancock and old friend Wayne Shorter teaming up with sitar goddess Anoushka Shankar while Chaka Khan and K. S. Chitra shares the vocals.

Pink, Seal, Jeff Beck, Alex Acunã, India.Arie, Marcus Miller, Los Lobos and a host of others contribute to the fun. And lots of praise for Klein's once again superb production: multi layered and crystal clear and yet with a certain warmth and 'live feeling'. And ofc over and around it all the impressive piano and keyboard work of the man himself.
on 9 June 2014
Not much more I can say, really. This is simply classy.....I fell 'in love' with Herbie Hancock because of this album, and The Joni Letters, another sophisticated sound - music originally compiled by Joni Miitchell (sorry if my spelling is incorrect). Love them both.
on 30 July 2010
The Imagine Project? I thought this was one of those charity records - the ones where the artists know the music is no good, but sign up to help a worthy cause (like, er, the Lou Reed song, what was it - Perfect Day). But no, it appears Herbie and Sony are the benefactors of this record. Don't give them any money is all I can say.

'River' was largely excellent, but this is a godawful record. I like Lisa Hannigan - her own stuff is interesting - she was one of the star turns on the Nick Drake tribute, but I can't listen to her belting out The Times, They are a Changin'. Sometimes pop and jazz come together well - Hancock did it fine with Joni Mitchell, but 'Tomorrow Never Knows'..what a mess.

A collection of songs that mainly don't work individually and as an album are without coherence or atmosphere. I have a large number of Hancock records from over the decades. Some of the more recent ones were bland and uninspiring for the most part, but all had some saving grace or individual tracks. I would have to force myself to put this one on again.
on 24 October 2011
This is Herbie plus guests working their way round and into a variety of songs. John Lennon's Imagine of course, and Lennon and McCartney's Tomorrow Never Knows. That's almost all the material I knew - and all that has a Beatles DNA. It's all brilliantly handled here - very well arranged and performed, with the usual Herbie Hancock style, taste and expertise. For me the standout tracks are Imagine itself, featuring PINK and Seal, and Lisa Hannigan and the Chieftains given a Hancock makeover with Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changing. Brilliant tracks, and a great disc.
on 14 September 2010
If you are looking for a different take on some classic songs then this might be for you. Despite the project leader's credentials this is not pure jazz. It is a mix of styles and influences and makes for a very relaxing and enjoyable listen. Each song features Hancock and different singers and musicians. Great songs, great artistes and well produced. Definitely a good buy for me.
on 28 July 2010
I knew this album was being released, from where I can't remember.
I've been a fan of Herbie Hancock since 1973. I listened to the sample tracks on this website and wasn't impressed. Sounded too much like lift/elevator/documentary music. Despite that I went into HMV today and there it was. So I bought it(and the album art is pretty good).
It's good and much better than the few seconds sample soundtracks you hear on this website especially the first track, which is brilliant.
However, loving Lisa Hannigan's voice as I do,(track 5) I can't understand why 'The Times are a Changing' was chosen rather than a real Gaelic song.
And so it is......
on 20 November 2013
I am confident my wife will enjoy this CD as one of her Christmas presents. The CD has an excellent a very good assortment of some great tracks by Herbie Hancock - he is such a good musician and his is so good to listen to.
on 7 August 2010
I thought I might have a go at it and buy it, since Herbie Hancock is a really first-class musician.

Don't get me wrong, the guesting musicians on this project are a stunning assembly:
Jeff Beck, Larry Klein, The Chieftains or Manu Katché, to name just a few.

It's the choice of songs and the various recording places all over the world (London, Paris, Ireland, Brazil, L.A. and then some) that make a distortion of this so-called project. There is no flow on this record whatsoever.

Included is a forgettable version of the Beatles' 'Tomorrow Never Comes' - a more appropiate choice describing the state of affairs might have been 'Here, There, And
Everywhere'.

Okay from the point of perfect performances, but unfortunately forgettable.
on 1 August 2010
I'm a fan of both Herbie Hancock and the composes of the first two tracks - John Lennon and Peter Gabriel - so the decision to buy was an easy one for me.

And ... it's a really nice listen. The treatment of those first two tracks is original whilst retaining the essence of the songs. My other favourite would probably be the Exodus track. In between there is a broad range of styles and interpretations - and even those tracks that at first didn't particularly appeal are now growing on me after several listens.
on 26 November 2010
Good to listen to on cold winter nights but the "new sound" of some of the songs needs careful listening. At first I could not listen to all the songs because it sounded kind of boring and without "flare" but after the third time on a good Hifi system the album gets better in the way that you need to get in the mood to listen to all of it at once.
I would recommend it to those that seek interesting interpetations of good old "hits" played in a jazzy way.