5.0 out of 5 stars A brief outline of this fanastic book
Published on 26 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely :)
Witch child is the perfect story for teens. It has a wonderful story line with relatable charecters and situations. I had to read this as a school assignment and i think my teacher made a great choice with it. I love the simplicity of it, yet if you are after an exciting and adventure filled book i suggest you look elsewhere as this book is more about relationships and...
Published on 2 Nov 2006 by T. Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars A brief outline of this fanastic book, 26 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I recieved Witch Child as a 15th Birthday present and was a bit anxious about the content. My sister had heard of it and meant to buy it so I reluctantly read the first couple of pages and was immediatly addicted to it. I found the struggle of the young witches life abosorbing and deep. I felt as though I really knew Mary and i felt as though I was in the story watching over her. I pictured the environment Mary described so well. I think that Celia Rees has captured an amazing tail of voyage and discovery. I found it interesting the way Rees has described the medicines and such and I compare it to the modern world. I would recommend this to anyone betwee the ages of 13-19 years old. I feel it is a real eye-opener as to how early civilians set up living in America.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teenage Writing, 25 Mar 2004
J. Cronin "dudara" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
Witch Child is a gripping, harrowing read from author Celia Rees. I bought this as a Christmas present for my younger sister, and when she'd finished reading it, she insisted that I read it also. And I'm glad I did.
Set in the aftermath of Cromwell, Mary has seen her grandmother tortured and hung in front of her eyes on the accusation of witchcraft. Mary hoever, is rescued and sent to the New World, America, on board a ship of Puritan pilgrims. She does her best to hide her past and avoid drawing suspicion on herself, but secrets will out.
A great read, covering a truly tragic period in history when thousands of women (and men) were horribly murdered for no reason. You'll feel the emotions Mary feels as author Rees skillfully weaves the story. A thoroughly recommended book for young teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent, compelling book, 13 Sep 2003
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I loved this book. It's thoughtful and extremely well-written. The description is so vivid that the story comes to life in front of your eyes. I could picture every small detail, and loved the way it was set out as a diary, which seemed to make it more personal and easy to relate to. It shows the way many people hated witches becasue they were different, rather like racism today. I found it very interesting, and I read it all in one go, as I couldn't put it down once I had begun. Recommended to anyone over the age of about 13.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and keeps you hooked!, 23 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
Witch Child is such a good book, I'd wake up before school to finish it. It starts out with Mary descibing how the Englishmen took her Grandmother away, trying to prove she was a witch. The history books never really tell you how the accusers went about doing this, but you certainly find out here. Everything is through Mary's eyes, and you can practically feel the details that are described to you. As you meet one after another amazing characters that have such an impact on Mary, you begin to get an idea of what's going to happen. When Mary and Jaybird's friendship begins to bud, you think about what will happen should they be discovered. And then when Mary's accused of witchcraft, it's hard to think about what may happen to her. The only bad thing about the book is that it ends without any idea of what's going to happen next. Thank goodness Celia Rees wrote a sequel to Witch Child and you can continue to read about Mary's interesting story. I strongly recomend this book and hope that you like it as much as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars well done Celia Rees, 4 Nov 2006
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
A very good read exciting, gripping, heartbreaking an excelent book. It os just amazing full of suspense and heartbreaking surprises you won't want to put it down when you have started. Alot of wierd and wonderfull surprises in this book. What a great read, well done Celia Rees!!

5.0 out of 5 stars claustraphobic chiller about hatred and bigotry, 3 Jun 2001
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
Right, crawl inside my brain and remain there and witness, see, think, feel, smell, swallow every thing I do. Cast yourself back 400 odd years to the times of good old religeous persecution in England. Your Gran gets burnt you hobble in the cold to a ship, you get on board, exist in squallor with umpteen other refugees and finally land in the good ol' USA. Guess what its even worse there than it is in England........this tiny brave little girl endires it all and more and keeps going......when you read this tale you'll be transported along with her, Thumbs up to Celia Rees for hitting the nail on the head.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Fantastic book!, 6 Jan 2002
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It is the best I have ever read and I read alot.
It is a gripping tale, when you read it you become Mary, you know her emotions, you know how she thinks, its amazing. I enjoyed also the history behind it as it's all very intesting!
I would recomed this book to anyone! especially people interested in Witchcraft.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Piece Of Historical Fiction, 18 April 2011
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
"I am Mary. I am a witch."

Witch Child tells the story of a girl named Mary, whose grandmother was hanged for being a witch. She had to leave, before the townspeople turned on her as well. And so she was taken away from the only home she's know by a mysterious woman she's never met, Mary is sent to America for her own safety. But life aboard a ship of Puritans heading to the New World is just as dangerous as it was back home in England - maybe more so. Can she keep her secret? Or will she be discovered, and killed just as her grandmother was?

I was captivated, and literally devoured Witch Child. It was an amazing, powerful story, and it was insanely addictive.

Told from Mary's point of view, it's written in the form of a diary that was found sewn into the seams of a quilt. As I read, I felt like I had travelled back to the 1600s, and there were loads of little details that just made the history feel alive.

Mary was a brilliant character, strong and brave. I loved her spirit, and found myself feeling everything she felt. Her voice was unique, and her emotions intense: she was an entirely believable character.

The supporting characters were brilliant as well, and all very real. Jaybird, the Native American Indian boy; Martha, the Puritan who took Mary in; Reverend Johnson, the one who believes he's a prophet of God, who I believe is really the evil one. There were so many amazing characters, and they all went together to form a brilliant, realistic world.

The thing I liked most about this book was the history behind it. The witch trials both fascinate and horrify me, ever since I learnt about them at the very beginning of high school. It amazes me how narrow minded people can be, and how healers can be seen as "spawn of the Devil". Did you know that at least 250,000 women were killed, and in some villages were left with no women at all? (I'd just like to point out that I didn't actually get that from the book, it's just a weird piece of information that I've remembered, for some reason or another.) And the Native American Indian history and beliefs intrigued me too: how the settlers forced them out, their ideas on spirits, the way they live. I wouldn't have thought that the two would go together so well, but they did, and I loved the way they did.

The only downside: the concept of magic and witchcraft was left unclear. Mary hinted at visions, controlling storms and voodoo-like dolls, but nothing was confirmed... Unless that's what Celia Rees meant for it to be like... to make you think, to wonder...

Overall, Witch Child was a brilliantly written story with authentic, unique characters and an amazing plot. It was intense, addictive and ended with a horrible cliffhanger. Even though it's written for 11+, I think everyone can enjoy the history in it!

Finally, a simple question:
Do you believe in magic?

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing, heart warming story, 12 Aug 2006
Cassandra Fleming "Cas" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I loved this book! I found it a heart warming story that never fails to delight me (even though I have read it at least 7 times!) This book is easy to get into and very hard to put down. However, I found the ending dissapointing because it ends on a cliffhanger (I like happy endings!) I have also reacently finished reading the sequel Sorceress, which, although I loved found it a harder book to get into because it had a long begining. Sorceress tells what happens to Mary after she leaves the town in the first book and the ending is defiatly worth sticking too. Both these books are great reads and I would recommend it to any one of any ablility.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, great read, 12 April 2006
LisaR (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book even though I am older than the target audience. I thought the subject matter was interesting, the presenation original, the language beautiful and the storyline gripping. I am now looking forward to reading the sequel! Ideal for young adults or older adults who wish to experience pure esapism!

Witch Child