5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun and Highly Educational

3.0 out of 5 stars Word skills
Published on 21 July 2011 by Smallvillenews

3.0 out of 5 stars Word skills, 21 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this to be good educational software in comparison to alternatives currently available. It is curriculum based and suitable for year 3-4 children, ages 7-9. The creators aim it at 7-11 year olds, but I have a 10 year old who hates it and thinks it is very "babyish". The programme has various English based tasks for your child to answer, designed to help your child to develop correct use of language and spelling. The programme is designed to help build confidence in English and the use of words. There are also a few games to play (meant as a reward for doing the mental workouts), but in this day and age of the games console, they are just too childish to be of any value to its age market, so I feel it would have been better to just add more educational elements instead and leave any "reward" to parents.

I generally think any educational software is going to struggle in the current market, when children do not want to sit at home doing yet more "schoolwork" when they could be having playtime, but this software could be used alongside homework.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap looking but effective - at least for a while, 4 Jan. 2011
Pardo (Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As with the maths versions of these products, I think these look pretty ropey - the graphics are very poor, and the Australian voices shouting "Great Work!" get very trying...but, my daughter loved it and when we first got this she happily spent an hour at a time on it.

The questions are the sort of thing your kids will get in tests at school and are mapped very closely against the UK syllabus. There are six levels for each of the years included in your disc (in our case year 3 and 4). Basically you answer a set number of questions and you get a certain amount of time playing a reward game. The "administrator" can set the number of questions and the length of reward game time and you can password protect this to make sure your kids don't decide to give themselves extra game time and/or fewer questions.

I can't comment on most of the reward games as my daughter only plays "Extreme Fashion" a game where you get to chose a girl and pick her clothes and accessories. We've flirted with "Bug Whack", has a very Australian feel to it - you get to hit various creepy crawlies with a flip flop - but keep coming back to Extreme Fashion.

One thing to note is that if you have other products in this series that reward games are are interchangeable - ie if you have both the English and the maths product, once you've loaded both products on to your machine all the reward games are available in all the different products so if there is a game on the maths one your kid likes, he or she will be able to play it on the English one and vice versa.

My only caveat is whether the whole "reward" thing is the right approach for education. I'd always had a few nagging doubts about this but then I read Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us and I'm now even more certain that this isn't a great method. Extrinsic "if I do this then I get that" rewards like games for doing maths or big bonuses for hitting targets at work have a couple of problems. First, they can actually impair performance as the stress of focussing on ensuring the reward interferes with our ability to do the task, and secondly they are a bit like drugs in that once we've had one reward we need a bigger hit next time in order to get the same effect.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reward element wore off after a while. In fact, my daughter played with these a lot when we first got them but has played with them a lot less lately. To be fair this may be because the real homework from school has picked up to such a level where if I was her doing more maths/English in my spare time wouldn't be top of my list either but still I think the reward thing will be a short term motivator. However, that caveat aside, these products do offer good practice for those depressingly important SATS/11+ tests.

3.0 out of 5 stars My 8-year old quite likes it., 27 Nov. 2010
Small Scale "small_scale" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The words that follow are from my 8-year old daughter:

I think that Word Skills is a good way of learning how to do things like putting words into sentences correctly, grouping same words together, and spellings. You also get reward games like design a superhero, hamster hospital and stuff. I quite liked it, but I've only done level 1 so far and it was quite easy. There are about 6 levels to try. Also, if you want to do just questions you don't have to do a reward game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun and Highly Educational, 31 Oct. 2010
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has been used extensivley by a 9 year old who thought it was great fun. The basic premise is that you have to work your way through a series of spelling tasks which become more difficult and more complex as you progress through the stages. There are rewards at the end of each task, which makes you want to work your way towards these. Although the fun element is definitely present the educational value of this product becomes immediately apparent and helps to develop spelling skills in an imaginative way. I definitley recommend this product. My 9 year old niece played with this for hours and thought it was great, which I think is recommendation enough

4.0 out of 5 stars This series is always a winner, 20 Jun. 2013
Pizor (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have quite a few of the Braintastic series. They're all very good money for value. My daughter has enjoyed all of them and this one was no exception.

1.0 out of 5 stars Superseded by the APP, 26 April 2013
Mr. Nadim Bakhshov "Nadim Bakhshov" (Bloomsbury, London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This type of classic software seems to be based on older technology and ,methodology. Kids, these days, can do better with consolation apps or mobile apps.

Past its sell by date.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some what helpful!!!!, 13 Oct. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A straight forward user friendly pc software. just intall it and use it right away. kids love it and its a lot easier for the kids to learn it and even parent will love it too whilst helping your children.why 4 not five, some how when it said, 5-7 that is only five to seven. some of it seems a bit too complicated for the kids much more without parents supervision!

BRAINtastic Version 2 Word Skills Two
BRAINtastic Version 2 Word Skills Two by Edalive (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)