5.0 out of 5 stars Mahler -fantastic value for money
This is amazing value for money. It is almost embarrassing to be able to buy the complete works of a composer for such a small price. The symphonic works are excellent but I was slightly disappointed that one of my favourite song cycles the Kindertotenlieder was an historic recording dating back to 1949 by Kathleen Ferrier - great singer but recording quality not great.
Published on 21 April 2012 by Tony Skelton

3.0 out of 5 stars Mp3 version a let down
I have had my eye on this collection for some time, and I have regularly poured over it in the "saved for later" section of my Amazon basket. I already have the 2nd and 6th Symphonies a la Rattle, and while they are not on my regular playlist, I wanted to explore Mahler's other compositions. While no one could argue with an asking price of less than £25 for a life's...
Published 24 months ago by Marc Hon

5.0 out of 5 stars Mahler -fantastic value for money, 21 April 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars For any one new to Mahler this set is fantastic value, 28 Aug. 2010
There is not a dud in this collection and most of these performances rank among the finest available. The booklet included in this set has information which at the time of writing was not readily available at EMI and retailing sites. The Booklet indicates the recording and production date of each recording (I assume an (*) followed by a more recent date indicates the remastered edition. I indicate the recording dates in brackets so that Seasoned Mahlerians may avoid duplication):

Disk 1

1-3 Das Klagende; Rattle, CBSO(1984)
4 Piano Quartet in A minor; Domus-Tomes[P],Osostowicz[v],Boulton[Vla],Lester[C](1988)

Disk 2

1-4 Lieder eines fahrenden..; Fisher-Dieskau,Philharmonia,Furtwangler (1952)*2001
5-8 Sym no.1 CSO,Giulini (1971)*2004

Disk 3

1-11 Sym No.2 Schwarzkopf,Rossl-Majdan,Philharmonic,Klemperer(1961-2)*2000

Disk 4

1-3 lieder: Im Lenz,Winterlied,Maitanz.;Bostridge[T]Pappino[P] (2010)
4-17 Lieder und Gesange; Ludwig,Karneus,Fassbaender,Coote,Fischer-Dieskau. Various piano (various*)
18 Sym No.3 Kraftig

Disk 5 {No.3 cont}
1-5 Remmert,CBSO,Rattle(1997)
6 Blumine; FRSO, Jarvi (2009)

Disk 6
1-4 Sym no.4 Price,LPO,Horenstein (1970)*1983

Disk 7
1-5 Sym no.5 LPO,Tennstendt (Live Royal Festival Hall London,1988)

Disk 8
1-5 Kindertenlieder; Ferrier,Walter (1949)*1998
6-10 Ruckert-Lieder; Baker,NPO,Barbirolli
11 Sym No.6 Allegro

Disk 9 {No.6 cont}
NPO,Barbirolli(1967)*1996

Disk 10
1-5 Sym No.7 CBSO,Rattle (1991)

Disk 11

1-12 "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" Schwarzkopf,Fisher-Dieskau,LSO,Szell(1968)2000*
13-18 Sym no.8

Disk 12 {Sym No.8 Cont}
1-12 Connell,Wiens,Schmidt etal LPO, Tennstedt(1986)

Disk 13
1-4 Sym No.9 BP, Barbirolli (1964)*2002

Disk 15

1-5 Sym No.10 BP,Rattle (1999)

Disk 16
1-5 Ruckert-lieder; Hampson[b],Rieger[p](1996)
6-12 Various versions of Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.
13 Urlicht; Coote[m-s],Drake[p]

Shrewd and thrifty Mahlerites who possess many or all of these performances might well pass this by on the basis that the booklet suggests more recent remasters are available. For example Klemperer's Das Lie von der Erde is *1988 and subsequent EMI master's have been reviewed as superior. But I wonder? I have the latest master of Klemperer's Das Lie von der Erde and the CD from this set sounds identical - perfect to my ears! I rather fancy that EMI has thrown in the latest masters and not fully advertised this fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Great in Every Respect, 13 Jun. 2010
R. C. Ross (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
A great tribute!

Selections of this kind are always going to be open to question - but perhaps no other label could have put together such a superb collection of performances.

Surely there can be no question that Klemperer, Szell, Furtwangler, Walter, Ferrier (her voicing of the word 'Augen' in the second Kindertotenlieder will break your heart), Fischer-Dieskau, Janet Baker and Barbirolli are all peerless! I have lived with most of these recordings since they were first issued - the more I listen the more I love and respect them.

Horenstein, Tennstedt and Rattle may not, on these recordings, be quite in that exalted class but they are more than worthy of inclusion.

The box art-work is also perfect.

Congratulations to all concerned! Almost indispensable - unless you already have these discs, and even then the boxed set is very tempting in itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A world of music, 27 July 2011
Per Arne Rudberg "P-A Rudberg" (Vallentuna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
How can you grasp and describe so much music interpreted from so many angles?
The overall impact is almost overwhelming. You are given some of the best Mahler performers in their best performances. Just enjoy!
You get a young and superb Fischer-Dieskau in Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen with - Furtwängler! This is the best DFD recoding of these songs, before he started his manierisms.
You get the best Klemperer recording of the second symphony - to me the ideal recording.
You get something different and VERY exciting with Giulini in the first symphony.
You get the wonderful Margaret Price together with the Mahler expert Horenstein in the fourth symphony.
You get the divine combination of Kathleen Ferrier and Bruno Walter in the Kindertotenlieder.

My only "not so happy" thoughts are the overrepresentation of Simon Rattle. I know that he is considered as one of the great Mahler conductors, but I'm not that convinced.
And maybe Barbirolli is not my first choice for the ninth, and definitely not for the sixth.

But on the whole - SUPERB box!

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly, the finest way to obtain these works..., 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 150th Anniversary Box - Mahler (MP3 Download)
Has there ever been one cycle of these works that totally satisfied on all fronts? Maybe it's impossible for one conductor to excel in all of these pieces at once, I don't know. What I do know is that this box contains many of the finest performances of these works ever put on disc and once again, for the asking price, this represents amazing value.

Not being an expert on digital remastering techniques, there were many times when listening to ,say, the 2nd symphony or more especially, the incomparable account of the 9th with Barbirolli and the Berliner Philharmoniker, I was truly staggered by the results - the remastered symphonies sound as though they were recorded yesterday. The exception, perhaps, could be felt to be be Horensein's 4th - does it match the achievement of the old Szell, cleveland recording? Maybe not but it is a fine performance in its own right.

On a more controversial note, whilst the remastering, again, means that the Kindertotenlieder sound sonically amazing for their age, maybe I'm in a minority of one when I think that many of todays singers can sound better than Ferrier. I'm never quite sure about singers from the so-called "Golden Age".

Anyway, if you're looking for a Mahler box, don't hesitate. It's wonderful. One example, Sir Thomas Allens outstanding "Ich bin der Welt..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning value, 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: 150th Anniversary Box - Mahler (MP3 Download)
I remember buying budget LPs in the 60s (as a schoolboy that was all I could afford). Decca Ace of Clubs at 19/6d was my limit. Given an LP was typically 45 minutes, and a CD is 60-70 minutes this box set of 16 cds equates to over 20 lps which for the download version at £12.50 comes out at about 13/-. Allow for 50 years' inflation and the bargain is amazing. Of course that's a shallow basis for any judgement, but it makes the quality of these performances and recordings stand out even more. I haven't had the chance to play all 16+ hours yet, but I love the Ferrier sound on Kindertotenlieder. I've had the Janet Baker recording for years, but find her style mannered and contrived in comparison.

I have one complaint, but I think it's not a failing of this box set: when it gets imported into windows media player it apperars as one huge album, with the tracks seemingly in random order. I had to spend some time tagging and creating playlists, if I wanted for example to be able to play one of the symphonies with movements in the correct order, and not just every track starting with a 1. I suspect if I imported into itunes it would file things more intelligently, or maybe I just have to learn more about wmp settings!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mahler Must, 19 Aug. 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
For thirty pounds, this vast collection of Mahler on sixteen CDs is an essential for the Mahler enthusiasts; obviously, with such a large collection of old and new recordings, there is a range of quality but none is poor and a brief look down the product details should be enough to indicate what a quality, value-for-money this collection is - Rattle, Fassbaender, Barenboim, Barbirolli, Szell, Klemmperer and so on, a list of the best orchestras and conductors in what, for many, was the golden period of recording.

All this for less than two pounds per disc; of course, with a compilation of this nature, some duplication is likely for those with an already growing list, so check the details carefully and the previous reviewer careful enough to make a helpful list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Mar. 2012
As someone who has listened to the most popular Mahler works it was with a true sense of expectation as I ventured to tackle the entire output of this composer. The performances spread across 6 decades and include some magical performances both vocal and orchestral. I am sure the purists will champion other specific reditions of particular symphonies but the ones chosen for this set are truely great examples and provide a real sense of the musical and emotional development contained within Mahler's music. The vocal performances are epic and whilst a novice listener might be concerned over some of the dates of recording voices like Dictrich Fischer-Dieskau, Kathleen Ferrier and Janet Baker should not be missed. As a whole the choices do mean that the tonal quality changes and perhaps there is a mixed sense of interpretation however, the whole is much greater than the sum of it's parts. This collection is excellent on so many levels and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mahlers Music, 8 Feb. 2011
This was a very good collection. The only down side was a certain amount of chaos as though it had been thrown onto the CD's without much thought to what went on each. As an example the symthonies often are on more than one CD because they follow other pieces of work. Obviously an attempt to get the whole thing onto as few Cd's as possible, It would make it difficult if you just wanted to play the symphonies as a whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gustav Mahler "Pure Genius", 24 April 2013
I have been listening and trying to get to understand the music of Gustav Mahler for the past 18 years now. I bought all of his symphonies on various labels, EMI, Collins, CBS, Naxos, Sony, Supraphon, conducted by the likes of Kaspszyk (No1), Bernstein (No2), Wit (No3), Wesler-Most (No4), Mackerras (No5), Neumann (No6), Halasz (No7), Gielen (No8), Walter (No9), and Ormandy (No10). All these cd's I class as old friends as they are all I have known and listened too with regards to Mahler's music. Apart from the Kindertotenlieder on the same cd as the 2nd Symphony I had no other songs or lieder written by Mahler. This was my reason for buying this box set to get all the song cycles and what a revelation they are. I bought the box set soon after release and it is worth every penny. I am not one for all this, well this is probably the best recording of this so and so piece but I know what I like. I ain't got the best hi-fi still going strong since 1996. I would be the first one to admit that I probably haven't got the most tuned musical ear but was self taught in the finer art of appreciating classical music but no matter. I love the music of Gustav Mahler. This box set is tremendous value for money, to download the box set for just over £17 is a steal. I bought a hard copy, the box artwork is attractive and relevant. The cd's are packed in cardboard sleeves, a little difficult to get out of the sleeve sometimes but no major disaster going on just fiddly. You get a cd-rom with all the lyrics (in English) on the 16th cd which is very helpful if like me you are Germanic challenged in the language department. If you are new to the music of Mahler you could not go wrong in buying this box set. To have all the works of a major composer in one place is a real treat. Well whats the sound like? It sounds good to me and I look forward to many years of listening pleasure. Who knows maybe some if not all of these recordings will become old friends in time. Buy it without hesitation and enjoy it loudly! 5 * purchase and music.

150th Anniversary Box - Mahler