5.0 out of 5 stars A flat out excellent book, 20 July 1998
This review is from: Adiamante (Mass Market Paperback)
I was on my way to Switzerland in the airport and found myself caught with nothing to read. I went into a nearby book store looked in science fiction and found this as the only book. It didn't look like a crowd pleaser, no #1 bestseller or anything, but I bought it anyways. On the plane I was quickly wrapped up in one of the most entertaining books I had ever read, after page 80 or so I couldn't stop, I just had to go on, what was going to happen, how come the cybs were so stupid, why didn't the demi's kick their butts, I had all these questions pounding my brain when I put it down that I had to pick it back up, if you are looking to be thoroughly entertained, buy this book. The only downside to it are some of the beliefs, they are extremest, true, but in a time and place of this sort maybe extremism is need. I don't know, but the book captured my attention and towords the last pages I was filled with emotion. I thouroughly enjoyed this book and encourage anyone th! at has the chance, to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Idealogy, 2 Oct. 1998
This review is from: Adiamante (Mass Market Paperback)
The true litmus test is whether a book is remembered or forgotten, and this book is not easily forgotten. I read this over 5 months ago, and I still find myself mulling over the demi ideology. I love the idea that if you want to have power in society, you must pay society for the privilege.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, and maybe a warning of things to come., 11 Dec. 2009
Paul Delaey "Neodruid" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adiamante: A Novel (Paperback)
I first read this book when it was initialy published, after moving house I lost it, it was only after spending a day surfing the net (should have been working lol) that I saw it. It's such a joy to rediscover a book like this. It's well written and has just the right amount of morality to be enjoyed. One of my favorite books of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars how you know its a classic...., 23 Oct. 2012
N. Hunt "nayberry" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adiamante: A Novel (Paperback)
* you buy it several times, in different formats,
* you lend copies out insisting people read it
* tell strangers on the internet that this book is thought provoking and addictive
* you make that 'eeep' happy noise when you realise it's available for kindle and even though you have at least 4 paperback copies you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating reading, 5 April 1998
This review is from: Adiamante (Mass Market Paperback)
In this novel, Modesitt has managed to convey the feeling that, if we would just be honest with ourselves about our very human motivations and faults, we could have a society that works for the benefit of the overwhelming majority of its citizens. While I don't agree with all the premises of the political situation in the novel, I found myself agreeing with him that all power, political , military, or otherwise, should have a price attached. Beyond the philisophical implications, it's an excellent book. Read it, and come to your own conclusions about whether Modesitt's right or wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Adiamante (Kindle Edition)
This book delivers a thought provoking view point wrapped up in a fantastic story. It is difficult to put down

4.0 out of 5 stars worth the effort........, 25 July 1999
This review is from: Adiamante: A Novel (Paperback)
1st things first..... I found this book hard to read, at times almost painfully slow because if you have read any Moddesitt you will know he loves his details.... this book has them all in more detail, but by about half way throu I was well and truely hooked..... this is a book that makes you think about the world we live in and the political systems we use... It shows a different world one wrecked by us and offers a solution... ALL politicians should be made to read this and then discuss it the world over...

4.0 out of 5 stars another for his fans, 22 Oct. 2013
Susan Lunt "alicia71lunel" (france) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adiamante: A Novel (Paperback)
super book new world but long term readers are always happy to visit another part of his universe a good read anyway

4.0 out of 5 stars A story of conflict and great responsibility., 9 Oct. 1998
This review is from: Adiamante (Mass Market Paperback)
Adiamante seems to follow the underlying theme that most of Modesitt's works incorporate. Once again there is found a people who wish nothing more than to be left alone, yet are forced to protect themselves at great price. Modesitt continues to write of the inherent lack of understanding by most people. There are those characters that will not listen to reason. They must go their own course untill they are forced to act differently. The main characters cannot, by their very nature, act in a pre-emptive manner for any reason. Modesitt's developement of the ideas expressed in the "Paradigms of Power" and the "Construct" work excellently with this theme. All in all a good read and I look forward to the next book sent forth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very well thought out: a thinker, 29 July 1998
This review is from: Adiamante (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is put to the extremes in all ways. The script, if a little complicated, is very good with everything else. Based in the far future, the long since exiled "cybs" return, understanding nothing of the code upon which humanity lives by. Gives many points which will make you think. Very good.

Adiamante
Adiamante by L. E. Modesitt Jr.