4.0 out of 5 stars Surround Sound?
Sleek elegant and VERY punchy. i had to turn the bass down to 0 as it "rumbles" above 1. You feel it sitting on the couch feet up or down:).
As for the aesthetics 5 out of 5. With a hidden front slot for your MP3 player or even run an external hard drive through it to watch a film.
Published on 17 Sept. 2011 by smokey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good system but a bit expensive.
Good sound from the bar. Looks very neat under TV. I have a Philips 8400 series and the bar is built to the same design.
Wireless sub is also neat. Not as large as some others I've seen and the wireless link up is automatic.

Published on 7 Jan. 2012 by Seamsu Casserly

4.0 out of 5 stars Surround Sound?, 17 Sept. 2011
This review is from: PHILIPS Sound bar - HTS5110/12 Home Cinema System (Electronics)
Weird but true, running an external video source through the hidden panel is the closest thing to Surround sound.
It adds a lot to the sound but at no time do you "turn your head" thinking WOAH.
You might think its a high price but its sleek and very capable with the hidden USB&Mp3 link it gets 4.5.
If you expect it to be a TRUE surround this will not do it. You will have to spend at least 800 pounds.
It was never in my head to think i would be "tricked" by the ambisound it just makes blu-ray films so much better with an ambilight TV.
If it isnt in the product info do NOT expect to be able to play a CD/DVD/Blu ray etc.
If the company does not brag about it do not expect it to be supplied. The HDMI connection is great. All in all its the best looking "system" and very good sounding SPEAKERS only for the price.
The sub is wireless (although you need a power source for it) there is no physical connection between the sub and main speaker.
If i had turned my head by now to a film, caught out by surround sound" it would be 5 stars!!. I love this item, great with my Blu ray and Philips (glowy;)TV,.
Nice smooth sound and punchy as hell if you so desire.
I do not pretend to be an audiophile but i know good sound and this ELEGANT non intrusive system provides it. Its so loud that i have never turned it up to full as i would get complaints! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good system but a bit expensive., 7 Jan. 2012
Seamsu Casserly "scas" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews

I am only giving 3 stars as I dont believe this is a true surround sound system. it is more like adding a decent set of speakers to your tv.

Also there is no optical in on the system which i thought was strange.

Also dont like the usb and mp3 input in the center of the bar. Its fine when you done have anything plugged in but it looks a bit ugly having a cable or key sticking out of the centre of the bar.

finally there is no coax cable supplied and this is the only way to set this up. The RCA cable is very noisy and is not recommended. There is a HDMI cable but think you need a special HMDI connector on your tv for this to work, HDMI ARC?? My Philips TV doenst have this.

With my setup I bought the SPDIF cable (20). My TV outputs its sound to the sound system. So if I watch a movie of my aTV ir set top box the audio first goes to the tv via hdmi then to the sound system via spdif.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a speaker NOT A HOME CINEMA SYSTEM!, 2 Aug. 2011
This product is good for anyone looking for a surround sound system to complement an xbox or playstation set-up or to add to a blue Ray player that doesn't already have speakers. It is small, sleek and produces some excellent sound (and even though it says it comes with everything you need, it recommends a coaxial cable set-up to maximise sound quality which you will have to spend around £30 buying yourself!). It is easy to set up and with the added wireless subwoofer, it minimises clutter.

Here's where my problem is. I was looking for a HOME CINEMA SYSTEM which this claims to be. I take that to mean I can watch at least DVD movies on it! If you thought the same then you are wrong. There is no facility to play any movies directly through this product, in fact the sound bar is so compact you wouldn't be able to fit a cd anywhere anyway! It say in the product description - WATCH MOVIES AND LISTEN TO MUSIC - well only if you are hooking it up to another product e.g. Playstation that can play a cd! You can attach an mp3 player or USB but you are out of luck if you are a bit old-school like me and want to play a cd.

Maybe I'm just a little simple but I think the description of this product is VERY misleading and as it advertises itself as a HOME CINEMA SYSTEM it should have the trade descriptions act thrown at it. More confusingly my sisters husband has an older model that does play DVDS! Looking for a good set of speakers - buy it. looking for a HOME CINEMA SYSTEM - steer clear!